Dutch Annies

CindyS
CindyS

July 5th, 2008, 2:12 pm #1

Does anybody know why they cast so many Dutch Annies and orphans? I have thoroughly enjoyed the videos of the auditions. Such talent from so many little girls!

Alex
Alex

July 5th, 2008, 4:29 pm #2

Hi Cindy,

I enjoy Annie in all languages but the Dutch version of Annie is my favourite. Sadly, it wasn't practical for me, living in the UK, to go see it but I have the soundtrack, which I listen to constantly, and have found out a lot about the show, from the auditions to the playlist and each of the 10 groups. So, why 10 Annie's?

The production team wanted to mount a huge National Tour, covering the whole country. The problem is, Dutch law is much stricter on child theatre performers than UK or US law. Under 18's in the Netherlands, may only perform in 24 shows per year, and that's individual peformances, not 24 seperate projects. When you consider that the girls in the original Broadway show were doing 7/8 shows a week, for up to two years, you can se why so many girls were needed.

10 Annie's and 10 of each orphan, excluding Pepper, were cast. On the last day of auditions, after casting, they were formed into 10 groups, each one with a name. Two groups were assigned to each of the five regions the tour covered and they shared show duties in that region. They also shared promotional work like TV appearances.

Pepper was played by a young-looking woman, 19 or 20 years old, who performed with all of the groups, doing 8 shows a week, like the rest of the adult cast. She was also in the ensemble (a servant and a Hooverville-ite) and the understudy Annie.

The show played so well 2005/6 that the producers were granted a 5-month extention, at Efteling Theatre. 4 Annie's and 25 orphans left the show because of their height/age and the remaining girls formed five new groups, with new names. One group, De PodiumRakkers, had two Annie's, because they were from North Holland and had to travel the furthest.

Watch these 2 (there is no Part 3) videos, for a summary of what happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94sTQnk2w9w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKZ1HmuUtL0

There is also a forum for the musical (see below). It is in Dutch but the layout is fairly easy to follow. This message is getting long so I'll start a new one, with a basic guide to it, so you can find your way around.

http://anniemusical.18.forumer.com/

Alex

Alex
Alex

July 5th, 2008, 5:01 pm #3

Hi Cindy,

I understand a little Dutch, so here's a rough guide to the Dutch Annie Forum.

The picture at the top is of the 10 Annie's. Underneath that, the 'Welkom' box basically says that on the forum you'll find out everything about Annie and if you haven't registered, you should do quickly. There's there's one forum, with the site rules on it.

Under 'Annie Algemeen', the first forum 'Algemeen' is for saying anything about Annie that you want. It's worth a look as the top three entries inside it, pinned, are the playlists for 2005/6 and Efteling 2006/7. The 'Oproepje!' one is a rough version and an appeal for more accurate info.

In 'De Audities' (Auditions), there are several pinned (closed) posts. 'Ronde 1' and so on, describe what was required at each audition and the words are quite simple. The '...Screens' posts are pictures from each round. Very interesting.

'De Songteksten' gives all of the song lyrics. In the bottom pinned post, there's the full lyrics of each song on the amazing cast album, along with who performed what, as it was recorded live. In the other, there's the lyrics from the auditions which were totally different, as you'lll know from YouTube. The info box just explains that they weren't used again after the auditions.

The rest of the forum is divided into two sections. In the top one, all of the 10 original groups are listed by name. The top post in each one (pinned) includes the names and a photo of the group. Which of the five regions (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Eindhoven, North or East) they covered and whether they were group 1 or 2 is also mentioned.

The other is layed out in the same way, featuring the five Efteling groups. Again, the top post in each one includes a photo and names. They all performed in one place but are referred to by region as the producers tried to keep as many girls together as possible, combining the two original groups from each region into one new group.

That's it, really. Enjoy!

Alex

Alex
Alex

July 5th, 2008, 5:14 pm #4

Hi Cindy,

I just wanted to add that if you want the cast album, as, you're right, the girls are so talented, you can find it on Amazon.com here:
http://www.amazon.com/Original-Cast-Rec ... 662&sr=8-2

There is a slightly cheaper version, also available on Amazon (see below) but the other verion includes karaoke tracks for Tomorrow, Hard Knock Life and Smile and they're well worth paying extra for. They're better than any Annie karaoke tracks I've heard and work well with the English lyrics as well as the Dutch.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Cast-Rec ... 843&sr=8-1

If you prefer, I can send you the album in ZIP format via MediaFire. I've already uploaded it for someone else but I'm not sure what Julie's policy is on downloads so email me at alex_mills@hotmail.co.uk if you want the link, instead.

Personally, I think the booklet (which is 90% pictures anyway) and includes karaoke lyrics, make it more than worth buying the CD.

Alex

CindyS
CindyS

July 5th, 2008, 6:47 pm #5

Hi Cindy,

I understand a little Dutch, so here's a rough guide to the Dutch Annie Forum.

The picture at the top is of the 10 Annie's. Underneath that, the 'Welkom' box basically says that on the forum you'll find out everything about Annie and if you haven't registered, you should do quickly. There's there's one forum, with the site rules on it.

Under 'Annie Algemeen', the first forum 'Algemeen' is for saying anything about Annie that you want. It's worth a look as the top three entries inside it, pinned, are the playlists for 2005/6 and Efteling 2006/7. The 'Oproepje!' one is a rough version and an appeal for more accurate info.

In 'De Audities' (Auditions), there are several pinned (closed) posts. 'Ronde 1' and so on, describe what was required at each audition and the words are quite simple. The '...Screens' posts are pictures from each round. Very interesting.

'De Songteksten' gives all of the song lyrics. In the bottom pinned post, there's the full lyrics of each song on the amazing cast album, along with who performed what, as it was recorded live. In the other, there's the lyrics from the auditions which were totally different, as you'lll know from YouTube. The info box just explains that they weren't used again after the auditions.

The rest of the forum is divided into two sections. In the top one, all of the 10 original groups are listed by name. The top post in each one (pinned) includes the names and a photo of the group. Which of the five regions (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Eindhoven, North or East) they covered and whether they were group 1 or 2 is also mentioned.

The other is layed out in the same way, featuring the five Efteling groups. Again, the top post in each one includes a photo and names. They all performed in one place but are referred to by region as the producers tried to keep as many girls together as possible, combining the two original groups from each region into one new group.

That's it, really. Enjoy!

Alex

You are very kind to take the time to help me with this. The kids are all so talented and the music is wonderful in Dutch. God bless you for helping me with this.

Alex
Alex

July 5th, 2008, 8:29 pm #6

Hi Cindy,

It was my pleasure. I have a lot of foreign soundtracks but I don't know much about most of the casts. The Dutch 2005 cast is the exception. I've spent ages finding out as much as I could about that show and it was a pleasure to pass it on.

I think the two 'Story of...' videos on YouTube are wonderful. I keep asking the videos' owner to post Part 3, as I'm desperate to find out "all about Annie's farewell" but, so far, he hasn't done.

Did you visit the forum? I hope you were able to find your way around. It was strange trying to describe it. I love the group pictures as the girls look so happy and the finale of the auditions, which is on the end of the first 'Story of...' video is my favourite performance of Tomorrow ever, in any language.

If you visit the video section of AnnieOrphans.com and look under 'Other', you'll find four more videos from the Dutch Annie auditions.

Watch video 4 first. It was taken during the second round of the initial auditions in 2005. Then watch video 3, which shows the girls being told which part they'll be playing. The producer Albert Verlinde says "You all know that you are all appearing in the musical, but no one knows which role they're playing. Then he explains how they should come forwards and line up when called. After casting the orphans, Albert says "There's one group of girls left. That means that they are going to play Annie!"
It is such a great sight as each girl is called.

Skip video 2 and watch video 1 next. It shows the girls getting dressed for the finale of the auditions and the finale itself. They are all so happy when they put on the Annie wig for the first time and practise their bows in the mirror:)It's delightful to watch.

Video 2 was done much later, after the 2005/6 tour, before the show reopened at Efteling Theatre. The cast took a few weeks off so the girls could re-rehearse and get used to their new groups. Also, many of the orphans needed to practise as they had changed roles. Most Mollys became Kate, Kates became Tessies and so on. Video 2 shows the two PodiumRakkers Annies- Esmee and Marieke at one of their rehearsal days.

Anyway...

Are you going to buy the Dutch cast album? I can't recommend it highly enough. Do let me know what you think of it if you do.

What do you think of the 24-shows-per-year allowance? The producers were very strict on the cast in that sense but, do you know, they did a very nice thing for one girl at the Efteling Theatre?

One of the 10 Annies, Cheyenne Krijgsman, went to the initial auditions with her little sister, Cherida, but Cherida was cut in the final round of auditions. A year and a half later, when the show moved to the Efteling Theatre, the producers needed one more Molly. Cherida's dream role was Molly and she'd learned the script from Cheyenne, despite not being successful, so they gave her the part! During the Efteling run of the show, she was Molly in the group, Efteling Toppers, alongside her big sister, playing Annie.

This is a YouTube video from the Efteling Toppers' last performance in Annie, three days before the show ended. I think it's so cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohd1r-DT_DY

Daddy Warbucks (Edwin Rutten) tells the audience that it is the group's last performance then gets on his knees and starts singing Tomorrow to Cheyenne. Soon after the song starts, Cherida, who's kneeling on the stage, starts to cry and wipes her face with her hand. According to fan I know, who was there, she got really upset. Edwin gets up and Cheyenne moves forwards, bending down to comfort her. When the other girls see this, they get up and all form a line (except for Pepper as it wasn't her last show) so they're all waving, holding hands, when the curtain falls. There's some other 'last performance of..' videos on there and they were the only group who did that.

Here are two other cute Efteling Toppers videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrwh06-dOjY

They were very close to Edwin Rutten and when he appeared on a Dutch TV show, they recorded a message for him. After it, Edwin tells the presenter that Cheyenne is the only Annie who calls him 'Papa Edwin-itje' and, if you listen closely,you'll hear her call him that in the video: he laughs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMMawPB3FsI

When the camera pans off the presenter onto the Efteling Toppers waiting to perform, Cheyenne lookd down at her sister and smiles. Their performance together is so cute and Cheyenne's Tomorrow is amazing. The crowd join in and I love her smile.

Alex

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

July 6th, 2008, 3:43 am #7

Does anybody know why they cast so many Dutch Annies and orphans? I have thoroughly enjoyed the videos of the auditions. Such talent from so many little girls!
You can find most of the foreign cast albums for "Annie" available to download for free here:

http://solomusicales.blogspot.com/search/label/annie

Alex, is this your site?

Julie

middleagedfan!
middleagedfan!

July 6th, 2008, 4:27 am #8

Hi Cindy,

I enjoy Annie in all languages but the Dutch version of Annie is my favourite. Sadly, it wasn't practical for me, living in the UK, to go see it but I have the soundtrack, which I listen to constantly, and have found out a lot about the show, from the auditions to the playlist and each of the 10 groups. So, why 10 Annie's?

The production team wanted to mount a huge National Tour, covering the whole country. The problem is, Dutch law is much stricter on child theatre performers than UK or US law. Under 18's in the Netherlands, may only perform in 24 shows per year, and that's individual peformances, not 24 seperate projects. When you consider that the girls in the original Broadway show were doing 7/8 shows a week, for up to two years, you can se why so many girls were needed.

10 Annie's and 10 of each orphan, excluding Pepper, were cast. On the last day of auditions, after casting, they were formed into 10 groups, each one with a name. Two groups were assigned to each of the five regions the tour covered and they shared show duties in that region. They also shared promotional work like TV appearances.

Pepper was played by a young-looking woman, 19 or 20 years old, who performed with all of the groups, doing 8 shows a week, like the rest of the adult cast. She was also in the ensemble (a servant and a Hooverville-ite) and the understudy Annie.

The show played so well 2005/6 that the producers were granted a 5-month extention, at Efteling Theatre. 4 Annie's and 25 orphans left the show because of their height/age and the remaining girls formed five new groups, with new names. One group, De PodiumRakkers, had two Annie's, because they were from North Holland and had to travel the furthest.

Watch these 2 (there is no Part 3) videos, for a summary of what happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94sTQnk2w9w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKZ1HmuUtL0

There is also a forum for the musical (see below). It is in Dutch but the layout is fairly easy to follow. This message is getting long so I'll start a new one, with a basic guide to it, so you can find your way around.

http://anniemusical.18.forumer.com/

Alex
Thank you for this post. I really, really enjoyed the Dutch Annie casting documentary. It's so joyous and delightful. The girls are so beautiful, diverse and talented and seem so genuinely happy. It's such an uplifting thing to watch. I wish there had been a US type version of this with a happy ending!

Katarina (Norway)
Katarina (Norway)

July 6th, 2008, 12:21 pm #9

You can find most of the foreign cast albums for "Annie" available to download for free here:

http://solomusicales.blogspot.com/search/label/annie

Alex, is this your site?

Julie
http://www.thesingingstage.com

I just added the 2 Norwegian ANNIE albums there! =) Enjoy!

- Katarina -

Alex
Alex

July 6th, 2008, 1:45 pm #10

Hi,

No, Julie, Solo Musicales is not my site. It's run by a girl from Argentina, who's known online as Fantine. I have spoken to by email quite a lot. Many of the albums are in RAR format, you see, which is no good to me. Poor Katarina, who I also speak to a lot, had to convert them to ZIP for me. Now, that I've spoken with fantine, her more recent downloads are ZIP anyway.

Anyone on here who needs ZIP files can get them from me via email.

Alex