Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

November 12th, 2008, 6:24 am #11

I won a walk on role in the touring company of Les Miz (in SF)
It was an amazing experience! It turned into way more than
a walk on as the director kept asking, "do you want to be in this scene?"
He kept adding more and more parts for me to be in.
They even did a good size segment on the news about me. They came and
video taped rehearsals, makeup training, etc.

Good luck for those that enter the contest!
Michele
In 1991 I was helping out with a community theater group in New Jersey that performed Annie on a wooden platform set up in front of the famous marble staircase in the building that was used for the Warbucks Mansion in the 1982 movie.

With five minutes warning, they talked me into doing a walk-on in NYC. They found me an old hat and an overcoat and I was to be a husband and father to a couple of street people. The actress playing Lily quickly taught me the dance, and on I went. I was petrified the whole time and was glad that most of my onstage time was in a freeze while A Star To Be sang. I am definitely NOT an actor and have terrible stagefright, but I was glad to experience exactly once actually being on an Annie stage.

The only other (sort of) walk-on I did was in 1970 in San Francisco during one of the National Tours of Hair. At the very end, a Hair tradition was to invite the audience on stage to dance along with the actors during the long final number ("Let The Sunshine In"), so of course I did it. A buddy from Army basic training a few months before in Louisiana was doing the same thing, and he recognized me and said hello. Small world.

Morgan
Morgan

November 12th, 2008, 6:55 am #12

Bishop's Doorway

At the end of the day (very exciting cuz I was right in the front, middle of the stage)

Master of the House- total fun on this one! Director asked if I wanted to stand on table and
Thenardier came and fluffed my dress

One More Day ( i was on the outside of the "pyramid" and was soooooo nervous I would screw up!-- The steps, the
revolving stage, ughhh I was a stress case)

Eponine's death scene

all of barricade scenes (got to pour the wine and pass out bullets) Got to sleep on stage during Bring Him Home

Finale- Do you Hear THe People SIng

and they had me take a solo bow at the end

OH MY!! what a thrill

They put me thru what I like to call "les Miz bootcamp" I met with the musical director and he had me sing and go over stuff.
They sized me for 6 different costume changes (I had my own dresser) taught me how to put on the makeup, then we went on the stage and had to learn how to enter and exit the revolving stage. Went thru all my scenes.
During the night performance, I had a cast member that i shadowed. She guided me thru everything. It was so neat because a lot of the ensemble girls would say, "hey want to pass out bullets for my part? " and give me extras
I even got 10 free tickets and a 5 min segment on abc 6 oclock news and the next morning also.
I am telling you- best day of my life... dream come true!
That is so cool!!!!!!!!! Good for you. What an unbeatable experience.

suzanne
suzanne

November 12th, 2008, 8:52 pm #13

Oh My Goodness! I can only imagine the excitement. What I wouldn't GIVE to be in Les Miz. That has been my dream show since the day the album was released! Wow! So cool. That is the one show I think I would PAY THEM to let me be in lol!

Congrats, how cool.
Suzanne

Suzanne
Suzanne

November 12th, 2008, 8:54 pm #14

In 1991 I was helping out with a community theater group in New Jersey that performed Annie on a wooden platform set up in front of the famous marble staircase in the building that was used for the Warbucks Mansion in the 1982 movie.

With five minutes warning, they talked me into doing a walk-on in NYC. They found me an old hat and an overcoat and I was to be a husband and father to a couple of street people. The actress playing Lily quickly taught me the dance, and on I went. I was petrified the whole time and was glad that most of my onstage time was in a freeze while A Star To Be sang. I am definitely NOT an actor and have terrible stagefright, but I was glad to experience exactly once actually being on an Annie stage.

The only other (sort of) walk-on I did was in 1970 in San Francisco during one of the National Tours of Hair. At the very end, a Hair tradition was to invite the audience on stage to dance along with the actors during the long final number ("Let The Sunshine In"), so of course I did it. A buddy from Army basic training a few months before in Louisiana was doing the same thing, and he recognized me and said hello. Small world.
Jon that is so cool! If anyone in the world deserves a walk on role in Annie on that famous stair case, it is you! I'm glad you got that opportunity! How very fun!

Sylvia
Sylvia

November 13th, 2008, 5:41 am #15

Bishop's Doorway

At the end of the day (very exciting cuz I was right in the front, middle of the stage)

Master of the House- total fun on this one! Director asked if I wanted to stand on table and
Thenardier came and fluffed my dress

One More Day ( i was on the outside of the "pyramid" and was soooooo nervous I would screw up!-- The steps, the
revolving stage, ughhh I was a stress case)

Eponine's death scene

all of barricade scenes (got to pour the wine and pass out bullets) Got to sleep on stage during Bring Him Home

Finale- Do you Hear THe People SIng

and they had me take a solo bow at the end

OH MY!! what a thrill

They put me thru what I like to call "les Miz bootcamp" I met with the musical director and he had me sing and go over stuff.
They sized me for 6 different costume changes (I had my own dresser) taught me how to put on the makeup, then we went on the stage and had to learn how to enter and exit the revolving stage. Went thru all my scenes.
During the night performance, I had a cast member that i shadowed. She guided me thru everything. It was so neat because a lot of the ensemble girls would say, "hey want to pass out bullets for my part? " and give me extras
I even got 10 free tickets and a 5 min segment on abc 6 oclock news and the next morning also.
I am telling you- best day of my life... dream come true!
Geez louise!!! You got a LOT of stage time!!!!! How very, very cool! You don't, by chance, have that news footage on YouTube, do you?

michele
michele

November 14th, 2008, 12:13 am #16

That is a neat idea.. only problem is... I have no clue how to do it. LOL
I always enjoy youtube, just have no clue how to put it on.
Any suggestions? I have it on a dvd and a VIDEO TAPE-- remember those?

It really did turn into a lot of stage time. Funny thing is, I am a teacher, NOT a singer
or actor. But the director gave me more and more parts. I loved it!
Just talking about it brings back all the memories. I have pics too.
The cast was sooo terrific and they thought the whole thing was neat because they
never had a "non actor" participate LOL

KW
KW

November 14th, 2008, 5:08 am #17

Oh My Goodness! I can only imagine the excitement. What I wouldn't GIVE to be in Les Miz. That has been my dream show since the day the album was released! Wow! So cool. That is the one show I think I would PAY THEM to let me be in lol!

Congrats, how cool.
Suzanne
I remember reading that at at least one BCEFA auction, they auctioned off a walk on role for Les Mis. I remember reading that you would be in almost the whole show as an ensemble member and they said they really hope the person who wins can sing. It also included either 2 or 4 orchestra seats for friends/family (I can't remember 2/4) and a videotape of the winner's performance. How freaking cool.
Years back, in the very early 90's, it went for $10,000 and I thought about trying hard to save up for that, but I could not afford to spend that kind of money on a one time thing that would the be over and done with. By the time I would have ever been able to even remotely fathom having that much saved for it a few years later, it went for over $30,000 and well then it was completely out of my realm/reach.

You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky to get to do that!!!!!

Sylvia
Sylvia

November 14th, 2008, 7:12 pm #18

That is a neat idea.. only problem is... I have no clue how to do it. LOL
I always enjoy youtube, just have no clue how to put it on.
Any suggestions? I have it on a dvd and a VIDEO TAPE-- remember those?

It really did turn into a lot of stage time. Funny thing is, I am a teacher, NOT a singer
or actor. But the director gave me more and more parts. I loved it!
Just talking about it brings back all the memories. I have pics too.
The cast was sooo terrific and they thought the whole thing was neat because they
never had a "non actor" participate LOL
Hmmm... wish I could help you out on that front, but I can't. Since it's on DVD, I would be able to figure it out, but I would just need to play around with it. However, I do plan on putting up some videos for friends on YouTube, so if no one else is able to assist you, once I have it figured out, I can! (PS - fellow Bay Arean here.)

michele
michele

November 15th, 2008, 2:52 am #19

WOW!! Not only a fellow Californian but a Bay Arean!!!
Nice to "meet" a local Annie (and les miz) fan!