"Camille"

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

August 23rd, 2008, 6:13 pm #1

Has anyone ever watched the movie "Camille?" It's the movie Annie goes to see with Warbucks and Grace at Radio City Music Hall. Every time my kids watch the movie I tell myself I'm going to try to rent "Camille" and see if it's any good. If anyone has seen it, would you give a brief synopsis and say if it's worth watching?

old fan
old fan

August 23rd, 2008, 7:52 pm #2

I saw the Garbo-Taylor movie years ago (black & white) and while it was good, by today's standards, probably over-acted and maudlin. I doubt your kids would enjoy it ! It is the story of Camille, whose true love's father convinces her to give him up or he will be ruined (she is a courtesan) and she agrees, but succumbs to TB and poverty, and upon her impending death, finds out he still loves her. The death scene I recall is long and very dramatic !

AnnieFan65
AnnieFan65

August 25th, 2008, 3:16 am #3

Jon, wasn't the use of this film in the movie one of those discrepances sometimes found in film? I can't remember the details but think the year Camille was out didn't work with the year Annie, Grace and Daddy Warbucks went to see it.

Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

August 25th, 2008, 3:42 am #4

The movie was laid in 1933. When Annie and company went to see Camille at the Radio City Music Hall, they were in a parallel universe seeing a movie 4 years before it was made (1937)!

Earlier in the movie, Annie and Grace sing about Shirley Temple. I wonder if she was popular yet by late June 1933. The same with Rin Tin Tin, who was mentioned in the movie too. Was he popular in 1933? I'm not sure if those are discrepancies as well.

August 25th, 2008, 7:41 am #5

The films that made her popular came out in 1934, even though she had had many small parts and been in many short films before that.