Broadway vs. other Annies and orphans

CindyS
CindyS

April 28th, 2008, 9:30 pm #1

I finally got wireless internet and have been able to watch all the video clips. It seems to me that the original Broadway cast looks so much more polished than the other casts. Does anybody else feel this way?

Lisa
Lisa

April 29th, 2008, 12:35 am #2

I Agree

Saw Annie
Saw Annie

April 29th, 2008, 12:53 am #3

Such a general statement and certainly cannot be determined by video clips.
Of course, to each his own.

Jessica
Jessica

April 29th, 2008, 10:44 pm #4

the OBC group looked like they had the least amount of dance/acting training. That isn't a bad thing, in fact, it is what I like most about them. I'm sure they had been training since they were two, but onstage they looked like a bunch of rough and tumble orphans playing around- not like robotic child performers.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

April 29th, 2008, 10:50 pm #5

I finally got wireless internet and have been able to watch all the video clips. It seems to me that the original Broadway cast looks so much more polished than the other casts. Does anybody else feel this way?
I disagree as well. I think the original cast helped shape the choreography but were not necessarily the most graceful at it. The subsequent casts, both on Broadway and in the National Tours, were expected to be precise in all of the movements, even from the time of the audition. I remember both of the dance captains I worked with being very picky about our arms being straight, hands being opened, kicks being high enough, and our lines being straight. I think our performances were very slick and precise.

Julie

Julie Smith
Julie Smith

April 30th, 2008, 1:55 pm #6

It's been a while since I've been over the video section, but if I remember correctly, many of the videos for the touring companies were home videos. It's hard and unfair to judge those against many of the broadway cast videos such as the closing night news clips.

If the Broadway casts may have seemed more polished in interviews, let's keep in mind that those that toured probably didn't get as much time to be prepped for such appearance and probably had just stepped off an airplane or bus the night before. Constant traveling takes a lot out of kids.

curious
curious

April 30th, 2008, 2:59 pm #7

This goes out to everyone. As an audience member and fan of the show, do you prefer "Never fully Dressed" to be perfectly polished or more like little girls (untrained in dance) jumping around and having fun? I'm sure the director has to decide this and I'm sure different directors have different ideas.

Broadway Fan
Broadway Fan

April 30th, 2008, 6:19 pm #8

I like it to be polished, BUT they need to look like they are having fun performing it. I seen the tour once and Molly was terrible, she did not know the dance one bit. I was very disappointed as I normally love that routine.

Saw Annie
Saw Annie

April 30th, 2008, 8:19 pm #9

This goes out to everyone. As an audience member and fan of the show, do you prefer "Never fully Dressed" to be perfectly polished or more like little girls (untrained in dance) jumping around and having fun? I'm sure the director has to decide this and I'm sure different directors have different ideas.
I can understand people liking the unpolished look but I like when the dances are together. I know they are kids, but they can act like orphans, and then they should sing and dance like professionals. We would not like it if adult singing or dancing scenes were a mess, so really why should any less be expected of the kids? It is a musical after all. I saw the annie tour in 2005 (or maybe 2006) and then just last year. The orphan numbers and also Easy Street were highlights for me. They were fantastic.

maryann
maryann

May 1st, 2008, 4:31 am #10

I completely agree. 100%