Broadway Shows

Broadway Shows

Debbie
Debbie

June 19th, 2008, 1:21 am #1

Okay. I can't resist. I just have to say my peace. I have been watching Legally Blonde on MTV....I just don't understand why TV has taken this route. They make it sound like all these girls have very little experience. Have they held a NY casting call? Have they considered someone that is really qualified for the lead? I do agree that these girls are talented, but it just seems like this is all just a publicity stunt and not "theatre" quality. Same as Grease.

Next: I just saw the Tony Show and I hated it! I did like Patty Lupone but the rest like Xanadu seems ridiculous! I hated the excerpt form Grease at the Tony's. It had 0 emotion.I hope next year has a lot to offer: It should with Shrek and Billy Elliot

*My thoughts on 13. Is it my imagination or does this seem to be a lot like the show Spring Awakening? I am not that impressed with the story and the songs. I remember when I was in Peter Sklar's Kid who played the palace. The songs were great, but the story wasn't appealing. It could have been a great show (if anyone knows what I am talking about) if it were just about kids in show business and the heartbreaks and triumphs that go along with it, it would have been the next Annie.

I miss the days that I saw Miss Saigon and Les Mis and Annie!!!!

Jessica
Jessica

June 19th, 2008, 3:20 am #2

13 is NOTHING like Spring Awakening. 13 is very Disney-esqe, clean cut, happy ending, ect. Very family friendly. Spring Awakening is pretty much the opposite; it deals deeply with issues that 13 does not even begin to touch on.

I'm not really a fan of either show, but aside from the young people in the casts, I don't think they share many qualities.

Mandy
Mandy

June 19th, 2008, 3:33 am #3

Thought the show was great at Goodspeed but wonder how it will do on Broadway. It'll have tough competition with Equus, Shrek, Billy Elliot, etc.

Mandy
Mandy

June 19th, 2008, 3:41 am #4

Okay. I can't resist. I just have to say my peace. I have been watching Legally Blonde on MTV....I just don't understand why TV has taken this route. They make it sound like all these girls have very little experience. Have they held a NY casting call? Have they considered someone that is really qualified for the lead? I do agree that these girls are talented, but it just seems like this is all just a publicity stunt and not "theatre" quality. Same as Grease.

Next: I just saw the Tony Show and I hated it! I did like Patty Lupone but the rest like Xanadu seems ridiculous! I hated the excerpt form Grease at the Tony's. It had 0 emotion.I hope next year has a lot to offer: It should with Shrek and Billy Elliot

*My thoughts on 13. Is it my imagination or does this seem to be a lot like the show Spring Awakening? I am not that impressed with the story and the songs. I remember when I was in Peter Sklar's Kid who played the palace. The songs were great, but the story wasn't appealing. It could have been a great show (if anyone knows what I am talking about) if it were just about kids in show business and the heartbreaks and triumphs that go along with it, it would have been the next Annie.

Watched Grease/Legally Blonde once. Never tuned in again. Completely boring and fake IMO.

Rachel
Rachel

June 19th, 2008, 1:38 pm #5

I know your question was probably rhetorical but there actually is a reason why Broadway is relying on reality shows now. Unfortunately, like everything else, theatre is a business. Although it provides enjoyment (and employment!) to a great many people, it exists primarily to turn a profit. Broadway has changed a lot over the past few decades. In the 1950s, for example, some of the biggest stars in the world were created on the Broadway stage (e.g. Ethel Merman, Mary Martin, etc.) but now most of Broadway's well-known names are huge stars in NY and no names elsewhere (e.g. Sutton Foster, Idina Menzel, etc.). Broadway has also become more of a tourist-driven industry. The shows that bring in the out-of-towners are either the huge well-known hits or things with stars in them. With the industry as fickle as it is now, not as much time is given to shows that have the chance to become word of mouth hits if given the chance to get its name out there and spread some good buzz. Reality shows are popular on TV because they are extremely cheap to produce and bring in good ratings - a network exec's dream! They are also shown on a national scale so viewers everywhere get a chance to have their say. Tourists who may have voted for Max and/or Laura on the "Grease" show can say they saw them on TV and now want the chance to see them live. It will probably be the same with whomever wins the "Legally Blonde" search.

For me personally, the problem with the reality show casting isn't the concept but rather the execution. Some of the girls on "Legally Blonde" have professional credits and would possibly be in the running at a cattle call audition anyway. My problem with the shows is that I think the level of talent is subpar and the production values are terrible. On "Legally Blonde" for instance, the last thing you need in a high stress environment like a Broadway audition is to live in the same house as your competitors. Reality shows featuring all girls generally show off the absolute worst female stereotypes - the backstabbing and the gossiping. "Top Model" is the same way. They are all living together just for the drama.

Rachel

Patty
Patty

June 19th, 2008, 2:18 pm #6

Very well put Rachel...right on the money.

old fan
old fan

June 19th, 2008, 7:46 pm #7

You always know your stuff, and your posts are informative and fair.

old fan
old fan

June 19th, 2008, 8:18 pm #8

...those are 3 of my favorite "old" shows !

Colleen
Colleen

June 19th, 2008, 11:02 pm #9

I know your question was probably rhetorical but there actually is a reason why Broadway is relying on reality shows now. Unfortunately, like everything else, theatre is a business. Although it provides enjoyment (and employment!) to a great many people, it exists primarily to turn a profit. Broadway has changed a lot over the past few decades. In the 1950s, for example, some of the biggest stars in the world were created on the Broadway stage (e.g. Ethel Merman, Mary Martin, etc.) but now most of Broadway's well-known names are huge stars in NY and no names elsewhere (e.g. Sutton Foster, Idina Menzel, etc.). Broadway has also become more of a tourist-driven industry. The shows that bring in the out-of-towners are either the huge well-known hits or things with stars in them. With the industry as fickle as it is now, not as much time is given to shows that have the chance to become word of mouth hits if given the chance to get its name out there and spread some good buzz. Reality shows are popular on TV because they are extremely cheap to produce and bring in good ratings - a network exec's dream! They are also shown on a national scale so viewers everywhere get a chance to have their say. Tourists who may have voted for Max and/or Laura on the "Grease" show can say they saw them on TV and now want the chance to see them live. It will probably be the same with whomever wins the "Legally Blonde" search.

For me personally, the problem with the reality show casting isn't the concept but rather the execution. Some of the girls on "Legally Blonde" have professional credits and would possibly be in the running at a cattle call audition anyway. My problem with the shows is that I think the level of talent is subpar and the production values are terrible. On "Legally Blonde" for instance, the last thing you need in a high stress environment like a Broadway audition is to live in the same house as your competitors. Reality shows featuring all girls generally show off the absolute worst female stereotypes - the backstabbing and the gossiping. "Top Model" is the same way. They are all living together just for the drama.

Rachel
Guess who I saw perform at my very first Broadway show (when I was six)?

Ethel Merman in Gypsy!

I kid you NOT!!!

I was hooked from that night on!

THAT being said....do you know who wins the Legally Blonde show?

LOL!!!!

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

June 24th, 2008, 12:07 am #10

There is a review of "13" plus a copy of the program with the cast bios here:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/read ... 05#3552854

Julie