Boston show

Boston show

Jenna
Jenna

March 29th, 2008, 6:49 pm #1

I went to see the show in Boston last night and it was great!

First of all, I am one of the dance teachers for an orphan, so I will put it out there that I am biased! All of the girls were wonderful. I enjoyed Smile more than I could have imagined. Each girl seems well cast in her role. I couldn't imagine them in any part other than there own. Some great parts were Molly pretending to Ms. Hannigan, July and Molly doing the ventriloquist, the Molly "shimmy" in Smile, and all of the interactions with Daddy Warbucks and Ms Hannigan. I think the comedic timing of Amanda was amazing and a gift.

I feel I can give a better opinion of the adults, since I don't know any of them. Ruthie Ann Miles caught my eye instantly in the Hooverville song and she had a shine about her in every number. J. Michael Zygo was great as Rooster, amazing dancing! David Barton was great, you could see his heart growing, coldness shrinking. I think Lynn Andrews was also wonderful. I hope that she returns. The 11 year old next to me couldn't stop laughing when she hits the doll on the desk and the head fell off.

I sat very close and at first was distracted by the head mikes. At first I thought the orphans had clips in their hair, but once I figured out what was there, I forgot about the mikes. Only once did I see a set start to peep out during a scene.

All in all, a great night. The ushers at the Wang were great, two different ushers asked people to make their phone calls in the lobby. I think an improvement could be start time. I would have loved to have brought my daughter (2 years old) but it ended very late.

Jenna
Jenna

March 30th, 2008, 1:14 am #2

Oh well I guess I am a little sleep deprived today! Marina aka Duffy does the shimmy not Molly! All of the girls are great!

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

March 30th, 2008, 1:13 pm #3

What shimmy? I've be wracking my brain and cannot figure out what you mean.

Jenna
Jenna

March 30th, 2008, 6:30 pm #4

It's just part of Duffy's dance step, it was cute! I just checked and Smile isn't a video option on the annieontour web site. Maybe there is some youtube video's from the current tour doing Smile.

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

March 30th, 2008, 11:51 pm #5

I'm thinking this is something they added for this tour.

I can't think of where Duffy shimmies.

Do you mean when they all do the 'bump' thing, with their backs to the audience and they sway their butts?

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

March 31st, 2008, 2:40 am #6

Nope, no clue.

Julie

DTB
DTB

March 31st, 2008, 1:18 pm #7

I'm thinking this is something they added for this tour.

I can't think of where Duffy shimmies.

Do you mean when they all do the 'bump' thing, with their backs to the audience and they sway their butts?
It's on the "dut, do, do do do" section, before the girls sing 'So Senator..." before the dance break.

old fan
old fan

March 31st, 2008, 1:37 pm #8

Was it in the previous tour ? I never saw it !

Jenna
Jenna

March 31st, 2008, 6:27 pm #9

It's on the "dut, do, do do do" section, before the girls sing 'So Senator..." before the dance break.
Wow, what a stir I caused!

Old Annie Fan
Old Annie Fan

March 31st, 2008, 6:37 pm #10

I went to see the show in Boston last night and it was great!

First of all, I am one of the dance teachers for an orphan, so I will put it out there that I am biased! All of the girls were wonderful. I enjoyed Smile more than I could have imagined. Each girl seems well cast in her role. I couldn't imagine them in any part other than there own. Some great parts were Molly pretending to Ms. Hannigan, July and Molly doing the ventriloquist, the Molly "shimmy" in Smile, and all of the interactions with Daddy Warbucks and Ms Hannigan. I think the comedic timing of Amanda was amazing and a gift.

I feel I can give a better opinion of the adults, since I don't know any of them. Ruthie Ann Miles caught my eye instantly in the Hooverville song and she had a shine about her in every number. J. Michael Zygo was great as Rooster, amazing dancing! David Barton was great, you could see his heart growing, coldness shrinking. I think Lynn Andrews was also wonderful. I hope that she returns. The 11 year old next to me couldn't stop laughing when she hits the doll on the desk and the head fell off.

I sat very close and at first was distracted by the head mikes. At first I thought the orphans had clips in their hair, but once I figured out what was there, I forgot about the mikes. Only once did I see a set start to peep out during a scene.

All in all, a great night. The ushers at the Wang were great, two different ushers asked people to make their phone calls in the lobby. I think an improvement could be start time. I would have loved to have brought my daughter (2 years old) but it ended very late.
Just wondering which orphan that you taught as you mentioned that in your post on the board. Was it Duffy? I was just curious. Anyway, we have seen the show and she does a great job with the shimmy. All three orphans shimmy together and it is absolutely adorable they mimmick the Boylan Sisters right before the big smile number.