Boo Hoo!

Boo Hoo!
Boo Hoo!

August 6th, 2008, 8:27 pm #1

How many have girls that are now too tall to audition at the upcoming Sept. call?! The horrified look on my daughter's face when she measured 4"10 - 1/2!!!!!

Becky
Becky

August 6th, 2008, 9:36 pm #2

Hi just go audition and see what happen to her if they think she tall or not .. I think s would have a chance to audition for a part just go , smile Boo Hoo smile thanks Becky

dramamama
dramamama

August 7th, 2008, 1:31 am #3

Becky,

Have you carefully read the audition notice? It says they absolutely WILL NOT see any girls under 6 years old or over 4'10" tall. I would not advise wasting the time and money to travel to New York to auditon if you do not fit these criteria.

lisa
lisa

August 7th, 2008, 1:47 am #4

i would advise that you not do it. we have been to those auditions, and have seen many girls turned away when they got measured. and they DO measure. my daughter is too tall this year too.

RLS
RLS

August 7th, 2008, 5:57 am #5

We, too, have seen girls turned away for being even just a 1/2 inch too tall. It's sad, but it did happen. Though we also saw a few sneak through who were just a little over, but I think that was a very rare occurance and I would not suggest taking the chance if you are coming from too far away.

Unfortunately I think that many girls are now too tall. My daughter is awfully close herself, but we have her 10 year physical scheduled for Monday morning, so we'll have a better idea then if she can go or not. That timing couldn't have been any more perfect if I had tried, lol!

Becky
Becky

August 8th, 2008, 2:53 am #6

i think the height limit over sea is 5 feet 2.. One thing bad is in Jan they had auditions I hope lot of you did auditions at that time not tall to audition at this time.. one more thing is that the swing orphans she 5 foot tall and they still took her.. and when tour end some of the the girls where July I thinks was 5-1 inc tall and pepper was 5-1 too I hope this will help you .and what you want know ..

CindyS
CindyS

August 8th, 2008, 11:42 am #7

We, too, have seen girls turned away for being even just a 1/2 inch too tall. It's sad, but it did happen. Though we also saw a few sneak through who were just a little over, but I think that was a very rare occurance and I would not suggest taking the chance if you are coming from too far away.

Unfortunately I think that many girls are now too tall. My daughter is awfully close herself, but we have her 10 year physical scheduled for Monday morning, so we'll have a better idea then if she can go or not. That timing couldn't have been any more perfect if I had tried, lol!
It's a shame to be sure that some girls have outgrown the roles, but that's the way it is. Because there are hundreds of little girls out there who could play a role, the artistic team is able to choose from a big pool of talented children and is able to set the guidelines. "Annie" is one show where height plays a major part in being cast. I have my own thoughts on that, but I'm not Martin Charnin or the rest of the production team.

So, unfortunately, some children will outgrow roles before another opportunity comes by. While that may sound discouraging, always remember that, if your child has the passion for this business, while she may have outgrown "Annie" there are other musicals where height doesn't play such a vital role.

To Julie---with regard to Sarah Jessica Parker growing so much during her year as Annie--did her contract allow for growth (especially so much)?

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

August 8th, 2008, 5:24 pm #8

On the "Prime Time Saturday" news piece (when Allison Smith was cast as Annie), the reporter says that the height limit was 4'9". I think the rules were bent a bit when the understudy took over for the lead, since it was more cost effective to give the role to someone who already knew it. I'm pretty sure that there was some height stipulation in the contract, which is why Sarah had to leave the show.

Julie

old timer
old timer

August 9th, 2008, 1:32 am #9

It's a shame to be sure that some girls have outgrown the roles, but that's the way it is. Because there are hundreds of little girls out there who could play a role, the artistic team is able to choose from a big pool of talented children and is able to set the guidelines. "Annie" is one show where height plays a major part in being cast. I have my own thoughts on that, but I'm not Martin Charnin or the rest of the production team.

So, unfortunately, some children will outgrow roles before another opportunity comes by. While that may sound discouraging, always remember that, if your child has the passion for this business, while she may have outgrown "Annie" there are other musicals where height doesn't play such a vital role.

To Julie---with regard to Sarah Jessica Parker growing so much during her year as Annie--did her contract allow for growth (especially so much)?
. . . originally, Charnin was going to use Bernadette Peters for the role of Annie!

old fan
old fan

August 9th, 2008, 1:06 pm #10

On the "Prime Time Saturday" news piece (when Allison Smith was cast as Annie), the reporter says that the height limit was 4'9". I think the rules were bent a bit when the understudy took over for the lead, since it was more cost effective to give the role to someone who already knew it. I'm pretty sure that there was some height stipulation in the contract, which is why Sarah had to leave the show.

Julie
I always thought it was strange for a 14 year old to be hired then (SJP) because if she hadn't grown yet, surely she would at any moment !! Although she made an incredibly good Annie, I think (?) the contracts then were one year for Annies...or did that include the height stipulation....or maybe it was 6 mos, but I'm pretty sure I read it was a year.