2:49 AM - May 08, 2008 #21

ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A FIFTH GRADER?

SUBMIT HEADSHOT AND RESUME TO:
ARE YOU SMARTER PRODUCTIONS
ATTN: BETHANY KIRSCHNER/ KATY DOLLE
640 N. SEPULVEDA BLVD.
LOS ANGELES CA 90049

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
1. Must be entering 5th Grade for the 2008-9 school year.
2. Must be Los Angeles based.
3. Submissions will ONLY be accepted by mail. No phone calls OR email will be accepted.
4. Submission must include:
A recent photo (or headshot)
Student Name + Age
Elementary School
Student Hometown
Student Contact Info (address, phone number, email)
Parents Names + Contact Info (address, phone, email)
Agents Info (if applicable)
Explanation why YOU should be part of the new 5th Grade Class.
Favorite Subjects
Hobbies (do you sing, dance, act, play instruments)

ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A 5th GRADER?, hosted by comedian Jeff Foxworthy, is an atypical game
show measuring adultsí lack of knowledge ñ as revealed by how much theyíve forgotten since grammar
school. Grownup contestants find themselves in a classroom setting, revisiting their youth, as they tackle
subjects theyíve already been taught, ranging from art to geography and math to social studies. However,
the contestants are not alone and there is a way to ìcheatî in this classroom. The adults have the
opportunity to get some help ñ in the form of elementary advice from real grade-schoolers who have hit
the books.

[5TH GRADERS] ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A FIFTH GRADER? IS SEARCHING FOR A NEW 5th
GRADE CLASS! Our 5th Graders are getting ready to graduate, and we need 5 outgoing, fun, intelligent
and spunky kids to take their place for the next ìschool yearî. If you or your child is currently in the 4th
Grade, and going into the 5th Grade this fall (2008-9 school year), then you are eligible to audition for a
spot in the new class. We encourage boys and girls of all ethnic backgrounds to submit.
I only posted the casting notice because I thought some of you parents may have smart 5th graders at home. There is bad grammar EVERYWHERE. Seriously, folks, have you seen some of the ad campaigns and billboards? I can't stand when I see incorrect English in advertising, when you would assume that they would know better.

"Got Milk?"

Julie

Someone who knows
Someone who knows

2:52 AM - May 08, 2008 #22

...Meghan, and Old Fan, are posters on this forum. BOTH are correct. This one gives more emphasis. I know you didn't mean to be rude, Meghan, and I have always ( up to now, lol) enjoyed your posts and perspective. I think I complimented you on your maturity once ! But ,I did think the earlier post was disrespectful, IMO.
This I do know for sure...
This sentence is not correct:
Meghan, and Old Fan, are posters on this forum. The commas do not belong and here is the reason why:
If you remove the section "and Old Fan" the sentence would read:
Meghan are posters on this forum.
It doesn't work!
For instance:
The following sentence is gramatically correct:
Meghan, a mom from Indiana, is a poster on this forum.
Note: If you remove "a mom from Indiana" the sentence still makes sense.
Anyway, the original audition notice was written correctly.
But, this is a very silly thread.

french_girl
french_girl

9:02 AM - May 08, 2008 #23

Grammatically correct or not I just thought it was funny. I didn't make my post to be mean or put anyone down.
come on, there's nothing mean or anything in your post! really! it's funny actually that it ends up in a discution (argument ?) about grammar.

so to add my 2 cents, i'm the kind of person that likes to put a lot of comas (sp). anytime there's a coma, you can breath. so sometimes people use them thinking their text would be clearer. and i guess that's what they do with adds also

french_girl
french_girl

9:42 AM - May 08, 2008 #24

This I do know for sure...
This sentence is not correct:
Meghan, and Old Fan, are posters on this forum. The commas do not belong and here is the reason why:
If you remove the section "and Old Fan" the sentence would read:
Meghan are posters on this forum.
It doesn't work!
For instance:
The following sentence is gramatically correct:
Meghan, a mom from Indiana, is a poster on this forum.
Note: If you remove "a mom from Indiana" the sentence still makes sense.
Anyway, the original audition notice was written correctly.
But, this is a very silly thread.
nmi

Julie Smith
Julie Smith

11:02 AM - May 08, 2008 #25

I only posted the casting notice because I thought some of you parents may have smart 5th graders at home. There is bad grammar EVERYWHERE. Seriously, folks, have you seen some of the ad campaigns and billboards? I can't stand when I see incorrect English in advertising, when you would assume that they would know better.

"Got Milk?"

Julie
Jon Merrill and I trade emails from time to time about the atrocities we see on a daily basis.

And let's face it: There's a ton errors throughout this string. Some due to carelessness some due to the times we live in. The younger crowd finds it perfectly acceptable to leave out capitalization, punctuation and more. The college intern in my child's kindergarten class (that's what us old folks used to call a "student teacher") had to be told that her letters home to parents were not to be written in "texting" form. My point: no one is perfect.

C'mon people: Can't we all just get along?

Julie Smith
Julie Smith

11:06 AM - May 08, 2008 #26

I know what you mean, Julie, about people putting others down over a difference of opinion. We have lost a few good people over this, on this board. Sometimes it's hard to take with a grain of salt
when people are nasty or just plain rude. Luckily, I think this is generally a supportive "community" and have seen people jump to defend others at times.
Ahh, all the posts that were left following you post last night just proves the point. It acutally did drive me a way a while ago, but I missed the board too much so I returned. I agree, it gets to be a little much. Luckily, once you turn of the computer, it goes away.

I thought it was funny that you're also a nurse. My college roommate was nurse. You could have been the third roommate that we needed but could never agree upon!

Take care ...

Julie Smith
Julie Smith

11:11 AM - May 08, 2008 #27

You can certainly tell that I lost my copy editor when I left writing years ago. Just look at all the typos in the first graph (that's newspaper lingo for paragraph) of my post above!

See, we all make mistakes despite our backgrounds.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

11:53 AM - May 08, 2008 #28

Jon Merrill and I trade emails from time to time about the atrocities we see on a daily basis.

And let's face it: There's a ton errors throughout this string. Some due to carelessness some due to the times we live in. The younger crowd finds it perfectly acceptable to leave out capitalization, punctuation and more. The college intern in my child's kindergarten class (that's what us old folks used to call a "student teacher") had to be told that her letters home to parents were not to be written in "texting" form. My point: no one is perfect.

C'mon people: Can't we all just get along?
I used to love those old jokes about sentences being improperly written. Remember the church bulletin jokes? For example, "For those of you who have children and don't know it, we have childcare during the 11:00 service." Maybe I'm too easily entertained.

P.S. Old fan, in my opinion, has never been nasty to anyone. I hope I used my commas correctly!!

Noel
Noel

12:31 PM - May 08, 2008 #29

Bless you! That is a perfect example of what I was trying to say in my original post!

old fan
old fan

12:43 PM - May 08, 2008 #30

nmi
...for emphasis. Without them, the sentence is also correct, just a bit unclear in the contest of the show ad. I should also point out, that while I also make typos on this board, e-mails etc. I currently work as a copy editor, now that I am not nursing. The explanation by "someone who knows," is incorrect.

Julie Smith : Thanks ! I would have loved to be a third roomie !
Elizabeth : Thanks ! You are sweet. The original "putting down" remark was not made by me, but I do know grammar !
Julie Stevens: The one that bugs me is "One less"" instead of "One fewer" for the HPV vaccine ! I told my daughter I wasn't sure I could let her receive an ungrammatical vaccine,lol.

I was tying to keep it light but make my point above. That is not always welcome here, but that's life.