Anyone watching?

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

June 16th, 2008, 2:41 am #1

The Tony's?

Rachel
Rachel

June 16th, 2008, 5:50 am #2

I had press credentials to photograph the red carpet and media room. I did the entire red carpet but left the media room early because I was in the photography lounge where the winners just come and pose for four shots and then leave. I wasn't in the room where people ask them questions and stuff. I have a visitor in from out of town and I have to go to work tomorrow and the only presumptive/eventual winner I wanted to get a photo of was Patti LuPone and I knew her category would be very late (and it was).

I actually took a picture for y'all - I saw Tom Meehan on the red carpet, representing "Young Frankenstein" presumably - and snapped a candid although he didn't pose. It will probably take a few days for me to be able to sift through what I have and see if it's worth posting as I'm swamped but I'll try.

As for the telecast, I watched most of it on TV at home like everyone else. Patti was even better than when I saw her live. I was in the media room when it was on live and people were giving her a standing ovation and screaming from inside the media room. I just saw this production of "South Pacific" and it is jaw-droppingly stunning and Paulo Szot does so much justice to "Some Enchanted Evening," one of the great songs of musical theatre. The new musicals seemed like a mixed bag (I saw "Xanadu" a long time ago and hated it but I am positively head over heels in love with Cheyenne Jackson) but "In the Heights" seems fun and different.

Rachel

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

June 16th, 2008, 6:46 am #3

The Tony's?
I had no idea that Eden Espinoza had gone into "Rent."

I had no idea that Robin de Jesus (from the movie, "Camp") was on Broadway in "In The Heights."

I'm thankful we didn't have to see a clip of Clay Aiken in "Spamalot" or Taylor Hicks in "Grease," although, American Idol finalist, Tamyra Gray, was spotted in a group number from "Rent."

I missed my friend, Jesse Martin, in the "Rent" reunion (he says he's had enough of them) but I loved singing along with Seasons of Love.

Did anyone else think the nominated lead from "Sunday In The Park With George," Jenna Russell, had an average voice?

I have no idea how "Xanadu" could be up for any kind of award.

I think anyone listening to Faith Prince sing at this award show might wonder why she continues to get leading roles in musicals (sorry Faith).

It was disheartening to see 3 contestants from the reality show, "You're The One Than I want" on Broadway - the two leads in "Grease" and another finalist in "Hairspray."

How could Mario Lopez be on Broadway? Unreal.

Did anyone else feel a bit queasy when Brooke Shields started off an introduction by saying, "Every time I come back to Broadway..."?

Has anyone who played Mama Rose on Broadway NOT been nominated for a Tony?

Anyone else excited about the movie version of "Mama Mia"? Gotta love Meryl Streep!

Colleen
Colleen

June 16th, 2008, 9:39 am #4

I know it is really popular, but I cannot imagine sitting through two hours of "Xanadu".

I throught the name Robin DeJesus sounded familiar! I loved the film "Camp"!

There is another "Grease: YTOTIW" alum on Broadway that I know of (and there might be more, who knows?) Kate Rockwell, the current Margot in "Legally Blonde" was on there.

I'm thinking that Mario Lopez was brought in to "A Chorus Line" as stunt casting to boost ticket sales? Guess THAT stunt didn't work.

In other stunt casting rumor/news: Heard that Mel B from the Spice Girls is being considered for a role in a West End production of "Legally Blonde". Also the Kevin Federline as Dewey in LB rumor is apparently still alive. Scary.

Speaking of Legally Blonde....I heard that one of the finalists in the MYV reality show that's on right now is going out on the national tour. Do any of you "Broadway fans" know who that is?

Noel
Noel

June 16th, 2008, 11:35 am #5

I had no idea that Robin de Jesus (from the movie, "Camp") was on Broadway in "In The Heights."

I'm thankful we didn't have to see a clip of Clay Aiken in "Spamalot" or Taylor Hicks in "Grease," although, American Idol finalist, Tamyra Gray, was spotted in a group number from "Rent."

I missed my friend, Jesse Martin, in the "Rent" reunion (he says he's had enough of them) but I loved singing along with Seasons of Love.

Did anyone else think the nominated lead from "Sunday In The Park With George," Jenna Russell, had an average voice?

I think anyone listening to Faith Prince sing at this award show might wonder why she continues to get leading roles in musicals (sorry Faith).

It was disheartening to see 3 contestants from the reality show, "You're The One Than I want" on Broadway - the two leads in "Grease" and another finalist in "Hairspray."

Did anyone else feel a bit queasy when Brooke Shields started off an introduction by saying, "Every time I come back to Broadway..."?

Anyone else excited about the movie version of "Mama Mia"? Gotta love Meryl Streep!
I worked with Mario Lopez when he was a little boy on "Kids Incorporated" same with Stacy Ferguson...anytime I see either one of them I always think..."Geez! I must be a lot older than I think or feel I am!"

Rachel
Rachel

June 16th, 2008, 1:43 pm #6

I just saw Mario Lopez in "A Chorus Line" this week actually and he was fine. He plays Zach so he does relatively little singing and dancing compared to the others. I didn't go specifically to see him and thought he might be distracting (stunt casting is really against the entire point of "ACL") but he was totally fine. And he looks SMOKIN'. I also saw "Sunday in the Park" this week and Jenna Russell and Daniel Evans sounded a lot like Bernadette Peters and Mandy Patinkin. Another good show.

"Xanadu" was horrible. I went because I had free press tickets and my friend and I kept looking over at each other and wondering what we weren't getting. The audience was eating it up. I guess maybe it's nostalgia for people who saw the movie when it first came out. It was totally ridiculous. I was so glad that Cheyenne Jackson was onstage the entire time in short shorts so I had something interesting to look at. I'm also not a Kerry Butler fan.

Eden Espinosa is closing out "Rent." She'll be the last Maureen. The "Rent" tribute was what I was looking forward to the most and I thought it was subpar. The current cast looks pretty terrible (I actually thought Tamyra sounded amazing on "La Vie Boheme" and you could hear her over everyone else) and I wanted more of the focus to be on the original cast members.

Every actress who has played Mama Rose on Broadway (Merman, Lansbury, Daly, Peters, LuPone) has been nominated and three have won (Merman and Peters are the odd ones out). Interestingly, Boyd Gaines and Laura Benanti are the first Herbie and Louise to win.

Regarding the "Legally Blonde" contestants, I know that Celina was Jenn Gambatese's understudy on Broadway in "Tarzan" and got to go on. Autumn was Beth in the "Little Women" national tour. Emma is Jerry Zaks's daughter so there's that. My pick to win is Bailey I think.

Noel, did you work on "Kids Incorporated"? That and "MMC" were my favorite shows when I was a kid. Those "MMC" kids have not done too badly for themselves.

Noel
Noel

June 16th, 2008, 2:58 pm #7

I died lighting for their live shows at Knott's Berry Farm when they were in the Goodtime Theatre in Spring 1985. They were there for about a month during Spring Break.

They were all very nice and their mothers were also a pleasure to have around. I still have the audio tape feeds from the sound board of their shows.

It is just difficult for me to see them grown up because I was 21 at the time and they were very young kids. I'm 44 currently but I just don't feel a whole lot older then I did then. A little older but not over twice the age I was then!

Meg
Meg

June 16th, 2008, 4:08 pm #8

I just saw Mario Lopez in "A Chorus Line" this week actually and he was fine. He plays Zach so he does relatively little singing and dancing compared to the others. I didn't go specifically to see him and thought he might be distracting (stunt casting is really against the entire point of "ACL") but he was totally fine. And he looks SMOKIN'. I also saw "Sunday in the Park" this week and Jenna Russell and Daniel Evans sounded a lot like Bernadette Peters and Mandy Patinkin. Another good show.

"Xanadu" was horrible. I went because I had free press tickets and my friend and I kept looking over at each other and wondering what we weren't getting. The audience was eating it up. I guess maybe it's nostalgia for people who saw the movie when it first came out. It was totally ridiculous. I was so glad that Cheyenne Jackson was onstage the entire time in short shorts so I had something interesting to look at. I'm also not a Kerry Butler fan.

Eden Espinosa is closing out "Rent." She'll be the last Maureen. The "Rent" tribute was what I was looking forward to the most and I thought it was subpar. The current cast looks pretty terrible (I actually thought Tamyra sounded amazing on "La Vie Boheme" and you could hear her over everyone else) and I wanted more of the focus to be on the original cast members.

Every actress who has played Mama Rose on Broadway (Merman, Lansbury, Daly, Peters, LuPone) has been nominated and three have won (Merman and Peters are the odd ones out). Interestingly, Boyd Gaines and Laura Benanti are the first Herbie and Louise to win.

Regarding the "Legally Blonde" contestants, I know that Celina was Jenn Gambatese's understudy on Broadway in "Tarzan" and got to go on. Autumn was Beth in the "Little Women" national tour. Emma is Jerry Zaks's daughter so there's that. My pick to win is Bailey I think.

Noel, did you work on "Kids Incorporated"? That and "MMC" were my favorite shows when I was a kid. Those "MMC" kids have not done too badly for themselves.
The only thing I can say is that Kerry Butler looked completely emaciated.

Isaac
Isaac

June 16th, 2008, 6:12 pm #9

I know it is really popular, but I cannot imagine sitting through two hours of "Xanadu".

I throught the name Robin DeJesus sounded familiar! I loved the film "Camp"!

There is another "Grease: YTOTIW" alum on Broadway that I know of (and there might be more, who knows?) Kate Rockwell, the current Margot in "Legally Blonde" was on there.

I'm thinking that Mario Lopez was brought in to "A Chorus Line" as stunt casting to boost ticket sales? Guess THAT stunt didn't work.

In other stunt casting rumor/news: Heard that Mel B from the Spice Girls is being considered for a role in a West End production of "Legally Blonde". Also the Kevin Federline as Dewey in LB rumor is apparently still alive. Scary.

Speaking of Legally Blonde....I heard that one of the finalists in the MYV reality show that's on right now is going out on the national tour. Do any of you "Broadway fans" know who that is?
From what I've been told, Bailey will be Margot, but this is completely unconfirmed and still a rumor.

Morgan
Morgan

June 16th, 2008, 6:57 pm #10

Personally, I'm not overly excited to see the movie. I'm a friend of Carolee Carmello who plays Donna on B'way and in my view no one can compare. Not even Meryl. But, it should be interesting. Looking forward to the scenery.