Rachel
Rachel

June 17th, 2008, 2:13 am #21

She didn't win for "Gypsy." Marissa Jaret Winokur won that year for "Hairspray." Angela Lansbury, Tyne Daly and now Patti LuPone are the actresses who have won for playing Mama Rose. Ethel Merman (!!!) and Bernadette both lost. Bernadette's two Tonys are for "Song and Dance" and "Annie Get Your Gun," which I think is quite interesting since she didn't win for her most famous roles. I saw both Bernadette and Patti and felt Bernadette did her best but was miscast. Patti is beyond words. I've seen a lot of really good theatre this year. These productions of "South Pacific" and "Gypsy" are, IMO, ones for the ages.

Rachel

Rachel
Rachel

June 17th, 2008, 2:50 am #22

Rachel, I expect any Patti Lupone picture you've taken to be sent my way
Since she didn't do the red carpet, I didn't get any pictures of her. She was the only one I thought would have been worth waiting for but the photo room isn't exciting like the real media room is. That's where they do the Q&A. I left early so I didn't see Patti and her new Tony up close. I took about 15 pictures of Daniel Radcliffe because I thought I could sell them somewhere but I don't know how to go about doing that!

Rachel

Dina
Dina

June 17th, 2008, 11:15 am #23

I pretty much agree with all you've written. I love Faith Prince but...sometimes...ya know...not so great.

Imo, Bernadette was nominated simply because of who she is. Did she win for Gypsy? I forget already. Not sure she should have won for Annie Get Your Gun.

Mario is in A Chorus Line and I hear he is quite brilliant. At least, according to those on talkingbroadway. But I too shuddered at the thought of him on Bway. He did the ONE number, with the entire cast, on Dancing with the Stars. He is actually a very, very good dancer. Not sure about his singing or acting because I've only ever seen him on that Screech show.

Whoopi was not so great as host. I miss the days of Angela and Julie. Even Rosie. The Tony's, unfortunately, don't get the ratings and it seems as if they don't care. Therefore, no effort is made to make the show entertaining.

I'm looking forward to the movie version of Doubt (and whats-her-name from Annie30th will be in it). Never saw Mama Mia because it seemed like an insult to the American Theater LOL
Grew up with that music, though
Speaking of Whoopi, who I normally think is OK--I saw the clip on You Tube of her doing the SPRING AWAKENING bit and thought it was ridiculous.

ILuvAnnie2
ILuvAnnie2

June 17th, 2008, 7:14 pm #24

Since she didn't do the red carpet, I didn't get any pictures of her. She was the only one I thought would have been worth waiting for but the photo room isn't exciting like the real media room is. That's where they do the Q&A. I left early so I didn't see Patti and her new Tony up close. I took about 15 pictures of Daniel Radcliffe because I thought I could sell them somewhere but I don't know how to go about doing that!

Rachel
I thought her performance on the Tony's was show-stopping!

June 18th, 2008, 2:51 am #25

I know it is really popular, but I cannot imagine sitting through two hours of "Xanadu".

I throught the name Robin DeJesus sounded familiar! I loved the film "Camp"!

There is another "Grease: YTOTIW" alum on Broadway that I know of (and there might be more, who knows?) Kate Rockwell, the current Margot in "Legally Blonde" was on there.

I'm thinking that Mario Lopez was brought in to "A Chorus Line" as stunt casting to boost ticket sales? Guess THAT stunt didn't work.

In other stunt casting rumor/news: Heard that Mel B from the Spice Girls is being considered for a role in a West End production of "Legally Blonde". Also the Kevin Federline as Dewey in LB rumor is apparently still alive. Scary.

Speaking of Legally Blonde....I heard that one of the finalists in the MYV reality show that's on right now is going out on the national tour. Do any of you "Broadway fans" know who that is?
I missed the the tonys and was wondering if any1 knew where I could find a video of faith prince singing on the tony awards.

Kathleen