Dina
Dina

June 16th, 2008, 8:15 pm #11

I had no idea that Eden Espinoza had gone into "Rent."

I had no idea that Robin de Jesus (from the movie, "Camp") was on Broadway in "In The Heights."

I'm thankful we didn't have to see a clip of Clay Aiken in "Spamalot" or Taylor Hicks in "Grease," although, American Idol finalist, Tamyra Gray, was spotted in a group number from "Rent."

I missed my friend, Jesse Martin, in the "Rent" reunion (he says he's had enough of them) but I loved singing along with Seasons of Love.

Did anyone else think the nominated lead from "Sunday In The Park With George," Jenna Russell, had an average voice?

I have no idea how "Xanadu" could be up for any kind of award.

I think anyone listening to Faith Prince sing at this award show might wonder why she continues to get leading roles in musicals (sorry Faith).

It was disheartening to see 3 contestants from the reality show, "You're The One Than I want" on Broadway - the two leads in "Grease" and another finalist in "Hairspray."

How could Mario Lopez be on Broadway? Unreal.

Did anyone else feel a bit queasy when Brooke Shields started off an introduction by saying, "Every time I come back to Broadway..."?

Has anyone who played Mama Rose on Broadway NOT been nominated for a Tony?

Anyone else excited about the movie version of "Mama Mia"? Gotta love Meryl Streep!
Unfortunately I didn't get to watch last night, but just a few comments in response to yours. I am very, very excited about "Mamma Mia" but I have never felt that having Meryl play Donna was that great of a casting choice...just because Donna is really supposed to be probably in her early to mid 40's--and Meryl just looks too old...just my thoughts.

That's so cool that you are friends with Jesse Martin! He is super talented!

I remember prior to seeing Brooke Shileds in "Chicago" I was VERY doubtful about her...but you know what? She actually was great. Not only was she three months pregnant at the time I saw her (I can't imagine wanting to do anything but be near the bathroom or lie on my bed at that stage..) and she performed phenomenally well as Roxie. Is she a great singer? No--but she was adequate. Her dancing was great--much better than I expected.

AnnieFan65
AnnieFan65

June 16th, 2008, 11:14 pm #12

I had no idea that Robin de Jesus (from the movie, "Camp") was on Broadway in "In The Heights."

I'm thankful we didn't have to see a clip of Clay Aiken in "Spamalot" or Taylor Hicks in "Grease," although, American Idol finalist, Tamyra Gray, was spotted in a group number from "Rent."

I missed my friend, Jesse Martin, in the "Rent" reunion (he says he's had enough of them) but I loved singing along with Seasons of Love.

Did anyone else think the nominated lead from "Sunday In The Park With George," Jenna Russell, had an average voice?

I think anyone listening to Faith Prince sing at this award show might wonder why she continues to get leading roles in musicals (sorry Faith).

It was disheartening to see 3 contestants from the reality show, "You're The One Than I want" on Broadway - the two leads in "Grease" and another finalist in "Hairspray."

Did anyone else feel a bit queasy when Brooke Shields started off an introduction by saying, "Every time I come back to Broadway..."?

Anyone else excited about the movie version of "Mama Mia"? Gotta love Meryl Streep!
I too am VERY thankful we didn't have to see Clay or Taylor.

I'm in love with Jesse! I didn't know you knew him. He's incredible.

Agree re: Xanadu

Faith was not at her best. When I saw her on stage her voice was better. I still think she's a major talent.

RE: the three contestants from the reality show and the comment on Mario Lopez - I completely agree.

Brooke lives in both NY and LA so I just took her comment to mean "every time I'm in NY and visit Broadway" but I could be wrong. She's actually a pretty decent Broadway actress. Not a huge star but she does have talent.

Love Meryl and can't wait to see Mamma Mia!

old fan
old fan

June 16th, 2008, 11:22 pm #13

..was also in Grease, and Cabaret and I think a Sesame St variety show on Broadway. (I read this in her book, Down Came the Rain !)

AnnieFan65
AnnieFan65

June 16th, 2008, 11:31 pm #14

Brooke has done a few Broadway shows. I think her remark was appropriate.

Dina
Dina

June 16th, 2008, 11:37 pm #15

..was also in Grease, and Cabaret and I think a Sesame St variety show on Broadway. (I read this in her book, Down Came the Rain !)
And "Wonderful Town" on B'Way, in about 2003. I think she got pretty good reviews from what I remember.

Dina
Dina

June 16th, 2008, 11:40 pm #16

Unfortunately I didn't get to watch last night, but just a few comments in response to yours. I am very, very excited about "Mamma Mia" but I have never felt that having Meryl play Donna was that great of a casting choice...just because Donna is really supposed to be probably in her early to mid 40's--and Meryl just looks too old...just my thoughts.

That's so cool that you are friends with Jesse Martin! He is super talented!

I remember prior to seeing Brooke Shileds in "Chicago" I was VERY doubtful about her...but you know what? She actually was great. Not only was she three months pregnant at the time I saw her (I can't imagine wanting to do anything but be near the bathroom or lie on my bed at that stage..) and she performed phenomenally well as Roxie. Is she a great singer? No--but she was adequate. Her dancing was great--much better than I expected.
She was very patient and kind to us fans after the show. It was a freezing cold night in NYC and she looked exhausted, but she stayed there till everyone got their pics taken with her and got their Playbills signed.

Morgan
Morgan

June 16th, 2008, 11:50 pm #17

As a child, I wrote Brooke a letter and asked for her autograph. She sent me back a personalized headshot which meant a lot to me at the time. I bet I still have it in a box somewhere... It was about the time of Blue Lagoon. Anyway, she gets two thumbs up from me!

old fan
old fan

June 17th, 2008, 12:06 am #18

She was very patient and kind to us fans after the show. It was a freezing cold night in NYC and she looked exhausted, but she stayed there till everyone got their pics taken with her and got their Playbills signed.
..I remember you said the same of SJP ! It gives you a good feeling when the cast is so nice, and they should appreciate their fans !

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

June 17th, 2008, 1:41 am #19

I had press credentials to photograph the red carpet and media room. I did the entire red carpet but left the media room early because I was in the photography lounge where the winners just come and pose for four shots and then leave. I wasn't in the room where people ask them questions and stuff. I have a visitor in from out of town and I have to go to work tomorrow and the only presumptive/eventual winner I wanted to get a photo of was Patti LuPone and I knew her category would be very late (and it was).

I actually took a picture for y'all - I saw Tom Meehan on the red carpet, representing "Young Frankenstein" presumably - and snapped a candid although he didn't pose. It will probably take a few days for me to be able to sift through what I have and see if it's worth posting as I'm swamped but I'll try.

As for the telecast, I watched most of it on TV at home like everyone else. Patti was even better than when I saw her live. I was in the media room when it was on live and people were giving her a standing ovation and screaming from inside the media room. I just saw this production of "South Pacific" and it is jaw-droppingly stunning and Paulo Szot does so much justice to "Some Enchanted Evening," one of the great songs of musical theatre. The new musicals seemed like a mixed bag (I saw "Xanadu" a long time ago and hated it but I am positively head over heels in love with Cheyenne Jackson) but "In the Heights" seems fun and different.

Rachel
Rachel, I expect any Patti Lupone picture you've taken to be sent my way

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

June 17th, 2008, 1:52 am #20

I pretty much agree with all you've written. I love Faith Prince but...sometimes...ya know...not so great.

Imo, Bernadette was nominated simply because of who she is. Did she win for Gypsy? I forget already. Not sure she should have won for Annie Get Your Gun.

Mario is in A Chorus Line and I hear he is quite brilliant. At least, according to those on talkingbroadway. But I too shuddered at the thought of him on Bway. He did the ONE number, with the entire cast, on Dancing with the Stars. He is actually a very, very good dancer. Not sure about his singing or acting because I've only ever seen him on that Screech show.

Whoopi was not so great as host. I miss the days of Angela and Julie. Even Rosie. The Tony's, unfortunately, don't get the ratings and it seems as if they don't care. Therefore, no effort is made to make the show entertaining.

I'm looking forward to the movie version of Doubt (and whats-her-name from Annie30th will be in it). Never saw Mama Mia because it seemed like an insult to the American Theater LOL
Grew up with that music, though