Ahlee
Ahlee

July 22nd, 2008, 4:53 am #11

I looked for ages trying to find a bootleg of Andrea as Fantine everywhere and anywhere and it does not exist. She was in it in 1994 and that was a bit before bootlegging really boomed. She was my favorite Fantine ever.. the first I saw and I saw Les Mis over 25 times.
I never heard Alexis sing Castle on a Cloud from when she was YC, but she sang it on Andrea's "On Broadway" album and in my humble opinion, it was before her voice blossomed I guess. She didn't sound the best on it.. she sounded like any ordinary kid in the world who could just barely carry a tune. I assumed she improved greatly by the time she got to be in Les Mis because I can not imagine her performing sounding as she did on that album. Not that she was ear piercingly horrible, but she was definitely not sounding Broadway caliber or of caliber to be on a professional album at that time.

I am going to try to go Maine to see Les Mis in September .. just to see Andrea and curious to see Alexis's performance as well. Tickets are only $55 but airfare isn't cheap.

But, as someone said there was an Entertainment Tonight piece on You Tube that was quite lengthy showing Andrea in rehearsals (being taught and going through the locket part in Lovely Ladies) and showing her performing I Dreamed a Dream on stage in costume (not sure if that was during a performance or rehearsal) and some interview footage with her then too.
I agree with you.

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

July 22nd, 2008, 4:06 pm #12

where is it?
Let's just say that if you're persistant you'll find it
There's a whole world out there with interesting theater-related...*stuff*

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

July 22nd, 2008, 5:54 pm #13

Andrea was exceptional but Alexis is average. Especially when she was a child. Now she sounds a lot better but too generic. Don't mean this as an insult. She is a beautiful girl. She beat her mom in that area.
That was a bit mean, wasn't it?

I don't think Alexis sounds generic at all; she seems to have a nice tone to her voice, much like Andrea. There is nothing generic about that.

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

July 22nd, 2008, 5:57 pm #14

I looked for ages trying to find a bootleg of Andrea as Fantine everywhere and anywhere and it does not exist. She was in it in 1994 and that was a bit before bootlegging really boomed. She was my favorite Fantine ever.. the first I saw and I saw Les Mis over 25 times.
I never heard Alexis sing Castle on a Cloud from when she was YC, but she sang it on Andrea's "On Broadway" album and in my humble opinion, it was before her voice blossomed I guess. She didn't sound the best on it.. she sounded like any ordinary kid in the world who could just barely carry a tune. I assumed she improved greatly by the time she got to be in Les Mis because I can not imagine her performing sounding as she did on that album. Not that she was ear piercingly horrible, but she was definitely not sounding Broadway caliber or of caliber to be on a professional album at that time.

I am going to try to go Maine to see Les Mis in September .. just to see Andrea and curious to see Alexis's performance as well. Tickets are only $55 but airfare isn't cheap.

But, as someone said there was an Entertainment Tonight piece on You Tube that was quite lengthy showing Andrea in rehearsals (being taught and going through the locket part in Lovely Ladies) and showing her performing I Dreamed a Dream on stage in costume (not sure if that was during a performance or rehearsal) and some interview footage with her then too.
What was odd is that in Andrea's PBS special Alexis does sound 'average'. That is, like any 8 year old singing. Although, I heard potential in that voice and wondered if she was just extremely shy.

Anyway, that was taped around the time of her audition for Annie and shortly after both the special and Annie audition, she got the role of Cossette. When they showed the clip of Alexis singing on Bway, she sounded a million times better and certainly good enough for the role of Cossette. At least, based on that 10 second clip

For that reason, I chalk up her performance (on PBS) to nerves. Or something.

old fan
old fan

July 22nd, 2008, 7:21 pm #15

Well, I also thought her voice was average at best back then, and on Turning Point, her dancing looked quite awkward. I wonder how she improved so much when she so quickly got the role of Cosette (although she wouldn't need to dance for that ) Probably she took lessons. I think she is very good now, but I disagree with Ashlee's second point; I think her mom is very attractive and in great shape ! Alexis is cute, though. Andrea never seemed to "push' her into the biz, especially in that Alexis took her dad's name, and would not automatically be associated with Andrea (although Edd is well-known also)