Another missed opportunity

Tina
Tina

August 3rd, 2008, 1:38 pm #1

OK, I really need advice here. It seems like I am always saying "no" to my daughter when opportunities arise because these opportunities seem to happen at the wrong time.
As some of you know, when my daughter was 8, she was offered the role of Kate and the 1st understudy to Annie in the Non-Union tour and we turned it down. Now, the most ironic thing happened.
The other day, I was driving her downtown to meet with her voice teacher in Chicago (my daughter is 17 now, and going to be a senior in high school). In the car, she said to me, "Maybe I should forget about musical theatre in college and try to get a record deal before college starts." (One of her friends just signed with Radio Disney and is on tour with Corbin Bleu). So, I said, "Record producers don't just call you out of the blue! It takes lots of work...meetings, etc, and you haven't worked for this!" Anyway...
At 5:30 that night, the phone rings (yep...out of the blue). It's a record producer from LA who got his hands on her head shot. He wanted her to come to LA on Saturday for an audition for a 3 girl pop band. They had lost their lead singer to a solo record deal. The new group is going to do a world tour and be in a movie. He told her that he picked 15 girls to audition out of hundreds of head shots.
So...I told him that we couldn't make it to the auditions on Saturday, but if he doesn't find anyone, we would fly there next week. He told us that if she got the job, she would have to live in LA. She wants to do this and finish up high school in LA. Is this crazy? First of all, there is no guarantee that she would land the job, but what if she did? I would have to find her a chaperone to live with while she finishes high school, and then who knows what would happen with college plans? I wish this group was based in Chicago. I'm thinking that we should just forget the whole thing. What do you guys think?

Kim Ryan
Kim Ryan

August 3rd, 2008, 2:18 pm #2

Tina,
Congratulations! Your daughter sounds very talented! I just wanted to suggest that you bounce your questions off of some very experienced parents (most of which are also LA residents) on the PARF board. Get there by going to: www.delphiforums.com and then in the search box, type in PARF (stands for Professional Actors Resource Forum) and then click on the hyperlink and ask your question(s). You can even place it in the Music/Theatre/Dance section. I'm pretty sure you'll get some good opinions and responses there.

Also, keep in mind that "girl groups" out here are extremely popular and exist on a multitude of levels, from extremely amateur to highly professional. The same goes for "record producers".

If you do decide to come to LA for this opportunity, use it as a chance to see the sights, look at colleges, and check out agents and/or mangers, too! Then regrardless of what happens with the producer, it will still be a great and benficial trip.

All the best,
Kim Ryan

Noel
Noel

August 3rd, 2008, 4:24 pm #3

OK, I really need advice here. It seems like I am always saying "no" to my daughter when opportunities arise because these opportunities seem to happen at the wrong time.
As some of you know, when my daughter was 8, she was offered the role of Kate and the 1st understudy to Annie in the Non-Union tour and we turned it down. Now, the most ironic thing happened.
The other day, I was driving her downtown to meet with her voice teacher in Chicago (my daughter is 17 now, and going to be a senior in high school). In the car, she said to me, "Maybe I should forget about musical theatre in college and try to get a record deal before college starts." (One of her friends just signed with Radio Disney and is on tour with Corbin Bleu). So, I said, "Record producers don't just call you out of the blue! It takes lots of work...meetings, etc, and you haven't worked for this!" Anyway...
At 5:30 that night, the phone rings (yep...out of the blue). It's a record producer from LA who got his hands on her head shot. He wanted her to come to LA on Saturday for an audition for a 3 girl pop band. They had lost their lead singer to a solo record deal. The new group is going to do a world tour and be in a movie. He told her that he picked 15 girls to audition out of hundreds of head shots.
So...I told him that we couldn't make it to the auditions on Saturday, but if he doesn't find anyone, we would fly there next week. He told us that if she got the job, she would have to live in LA. She wants to do this and finish up high school in LA. Is this crazy? First of all, there is no guarantee that she would land the job, but what if she did? I would have to find her a chaperone to live with while she finishes high school, and then who knows what would happen with college plans? I wish this group was based in Chicago. I'm thinking that we should just forget the whole thing. What do you guys think?
First I would check out the Record Producer and see who he has under contract currently. Then I would ask if you could have the name of the group and see what they look and sound like.

When I lived in Burbank a girl that lived in the same apartment building was put into a manufactured girls group. Even though they were all around 14 at the time they were dressed and promoted as if they were much older and the music they sang was also way beyond their years as well. I found it all rather disturbing

They didn't last very long and the group fell apart shortly after they made their first album.

Diane Etzkorn
Diane Etzkorn

August 3rd, 2008, 5:22 pm #4

You said you live in Chicago? My daugher played Kate/ Annie on the last non-union tour. Let's connect as we live in Chicago! I left an e-mail on tihs post.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

August 3rd, 2008, 6:33 pm #5

Tina:

Often when things seem too good to be true, there is a reason. As Kim Ryan mentioned, girl groups are a dime a dozen out here and any producer that is making you promises like that should be considered suspicious. The record industry is in very bad shape and there hasn't been a top-selling girl group in years. I see ads for these groups all the time on the casting boards and I think it is an excuse for older men to be around young girls, to be honest.

I think the best advice you could give to your daughter would be to finish school, go to college, and pursue music on her own, if that is her passion. There are more solo artists discovered from their My Space pages and performing out live than ever before. The ONLY way to make money in the music industry anymore is to write your own songs and own the publishing. So, I would recommend that your daughter study piano or guitar and start writing her own songs.

Please do your due diligence and ask this producer for his credentials and how he even got your daughter's headshot before you fly to California and expose your daughter to a complete stranger.

Julie

Tina
Tina

August 3rd, 2008, 11:31 pm #6

I think you are right. I want her to go to college. But, I did research this group and it is legit. They've gotten a lot of publicity and they have launched careers. Again, though, there is no guarantee that my daughter would get in or if this experience would lead to anything big.

Defygravity
Defygravity

August 4th, 2008, 5:31 pm #7

From what you've said about the group, it almost sounds like the cheetah girls.. do you know if that's the group?

Tina
Tina

August 4th, 2008, 8:12 pm #8

nmi