Annie trivia

Annie trivia

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

March 12th, 2008, 11:07 pm #1

I was researching the radio show that Miss Hannigan listens to in the show, called "Ma Perkins" (http://www.old-time.com/commercials/1930's/OOMP.htm) and I guess it is just a coincidence that one of FDR's cabinet members (also a featured character in "Annie") is named Francis Perkins.

Julie

Meghan
Meghan

March 13th, 2008, 4:23 am #2

I am not familier with the radio show "Ma Perkins", but i do know that Francis Perkins was the secretary of labor under FDR and was the first female to be appointed to the presidential cabinent. I dont know if their is any connection between her and the radio show, but i suppose it is possible...

Huh...so a guess a 5 on AP US History can actually be utilized in real life...lol.

old fan
old fan

March 13th, 2008, 1:04 pm #3

...congrats on your history grade ! But no, there is no connection between Ma Perkins, the radio soap, vastly popular in its day, and Frances Perkins, the Secretary of Labor. Annie is very particular in being historically accurate- that's why I asked earlier if the names/terms were explained to the orphans, as it could be very educational re: American politics and culture.

Meghan
Meghan

March 13th, 2008, 1:45 pm #4

LOL. My Annie knowledge definitely helped immensly during the depression unit. it really is quite remarkable that there is so much history packed into the show. I hope they teach the kids on tour about it.

old fan
old fan

March 13th, 2008, 6:29 pm #5

...you are really impressive, being so young, but your posts show that you are mature, intelligent, well-rounded and have a good sense of humor ! Go girl!

Meghan
Meghan

March 14th, 2008, 3:26 am #6

what a nice thing to say!

Patti
Patti

March 15th, 2008, 1:36 pm #7

LOL. My Annie knowledge definitely helped immensly during the depression unit. it really is quite remarkable that there is so much history packed into the show. I hope they teach the kids on tour about it.
My daughters have found the same thing to be true! After seeing and appearing in both Annie and Annie Warbucks, they have learned a lot of US history, which has helped them in school! And they had a great time doing it!