Annie orchestra

Annie orchestra

french_girl
french_girl

June 4th, 2008, 10:15 pm #1

hi
this can sound like a wierd question, but maybe you know, is there a saxophon (or saxophons most likely) in the orchestra of Annie ?

Isaac
Isaac

June 4th, 2008, 10:27 pm #2

Yes, there is Soprano (does the main little theme in Little Girls), alto, tenor, and bass sax.

french_girl
french_girl

June 5th, 2008, 9:32 am #3

bass sax, really?! wow

thanks for the answer

and do you know if there is just one of each sort, or more ?

Isaac
Isaac

June 5th, 2008, 12:29 pm #4

Not bass, sorry, baritone sax. And The way that works is there are five reed players who change instruments throughout the show. They cover flute, piccolo, the saxes, etc. So I'm not sure about how many of each there are, but they all appear at some point.

french_girl
french_girl

June 5th, 2008, 3:41 pm #5

ok, thank you! yep i thought it was more likely to be a barytone rather than a bass lol
you know a lot Isaac

TriciaT
TriciaT

June 7th, 2008, 10:08 pm #6

hi
this can sound like a wierd question, but maybe you know, is there a saxophon (or saxophons most likely) in the orchestra of Annie ?
I did some research with materials in my collection, and I think I can provide a thorough answer (probably more thorough than necessary, but maybe somebody will find this interesting).

From my research it appears that the orchestra for the original Broadway production was scored for 20 pieces. I would think that the scores currently available for rental from MTI would maintain the same number of personnel. It's possible that with the changes in the show in the past 10 years (the extra dance in "NYC" the revised placement of "I Don't Need..." etc.) that the orchestrations might have been changed to support more synthesizer players and therefore less personnel.

Piano
Violins 1, 2, 3, and 4
Cello
Bass (should be an acoustic upright bass, but now more productions are using an electric bass)
Guitar/Banjo
Trumpets 1 and 2
Trombones 1 and 2
Tuba
Reeds 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5
---As mentioned in another post, the woodwind players have to switch instruments throughout the show. I tried to figure out the breakdown more specifically. I had to do a little guessing to try to assign the reed parts, so this part may not be 100% accurate.---
Reed 1: flute, piccolo, and possibly clarinet
Reed 2: Soprano saxophone, alto saxophone, flute, possibly clarinet
Reed 3: Tenor sax, clarinet, bass clarinet
Reed 4: Alto sax, tenor sax, clarinet
Reed 5: Alto sax, baritone sax, clarinet
Drums (trap set)
Percussion: timpani, bells, xylophone, plus sleigh bells, ratchet, slapstick, triangle, etc.

TriciaT
TriciaT

June 7th, 2008, 10:16 pm #7

hi
Since I was doing the research...I investigated "Annie Warbucks" also. The Off-Broadway production did not use a full orchestra, but for the Cast Album and for the MTI rentals the orchestrations were enhanced.

Piano
Synthesizer
Violin 1,2,3 and 4
Cello
Bass
Trumpet 1 ,2, and 3
French Horn
Trombone 1 (doubles on Tuba) and 2
Reed 1: flute, alto sax, clarinet
Reed 2: flute, bass clarinet, clarinet, tenor sax, baritone sax
Reed 3: clarinet, oboe, English horn, tenor sax
Guitar/Banjo
Drums
Percussion

...so, when you next see a production of Annie, stay in the audience until the end of the exit music, and then give a round of applause for the orchestra!

old fan
old fan

June 7th, 2008, 11:01 pm #8

Really interesting. I agree the orchestra is not always given the recognition it deserves ! You put a lot of work into these posts. You must be a musician of some kind ?

french_girl
french_girl

June 10th, 2008, 4:14 pm #9

I did some research with materials in my collection, and I think I can provide a thorough answer (probably more thorough than necessary, but maybe somebody will find this interesting).

From my research it appears that the orchestra for the original Broadway production was scored for 20 pieces. I would think that the scores currently available for rental from MTI would maintain the same number of personnel. It's possible that with the changes in the show in the past 10 years (the extra dance in "NYC" the revised placement of "I Don't Need..." etc.) that the orchestrations might have been changed to support more synthesizer players and therefore less personnel.

Piano
Violins 1, 2, 3, and 4
Cello
Bass (should be an acoustic upright bass, but now more productions are using an electric bass)
Guitar/Banjo
Trumpets 1 and 2
Trombones 1 and 2
Tuba
Reeds 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5
---As mentioned in another post, the woodwind players have to switch instruments throughout the show. I tried to figure out the breakdown more specifically. I had to do a little guessing to try to assign the reed parts, so this part may not be 100% accurate.---
Reed 1: flute, piccolo, and possibly clarinet
Reed 2: Soprano saxophone, alto saxophone, flute, possibly clarinet
Reed 3: Tenor sax, clarinet, bass clarinet
Reed 4: Alto sax, tenor sax, clarinet
Reed 5: Alto sax, baritone sax, clarinet
Drums (trap set)
Percussion: timpani, bells, xylophone, plus sleigh bells, ratchet, slapstick, triangle, etc.
wow thanks, i wasn't expecting that much lol