Annie hair

Claire
Claire

12:06 AM - Dec 29, 2008 #1

Which Annie hair do you like better, the curly mess that Aileen Quinn had, or the slightly wavy hair that eventually got curled like Andrea McArdle's? I saw the movie when I was little, so I always thought that Annie was born with curly hair, and until I saw Andrea singing Tomorrow at the Tony's on YouTube, the curly hair was sort of the Annie-norm for me. I'm kinda torn as to which I like better, because I think that Aileen looks best with big poofy hair as opposed to flatter hair, and Andrea looks cute with both the wavy hair and the curly hair. Do you guys have an opinion on it?

p.s. what did the comic strip Annie have?

Meghan
Meghan

12:13 AM - Dec 29, 2008 #2

Personally I hated Aileen's hair in the movie. I don't know why they decided to do it that way. Any one know?

They also did Alicia's hair differently in the 1999 movie...I like that more than the first movie but i think that the way they have always done it on stage (strait/wavyish to curly wig) is how it should be done and i liked it the most.

Anyone have any insight into how any of the hairstyles were chosen?

in the comic strip it is curly red, basically the wig in the stage version.

Claire
Claire

12:35 AM - Dec 29, 2008 #3

The Dutch Annies also had curly hair right from the start, with the exception of Nathalie Van Gent (from the Dutch 1997 production) who started out with McArdle-type hair (just less feathered looking).

Does anybody know why the Broadway production chose to start Annie off with wavy hair, as opposed to curly hair like in the comic strip?

old fan
old fan

1:34 AM - Dec 29, 2008 #4

Which Annie hair do you like better, the curly mess that Aileen Quinn had, or the slightly wavy hair that eventually got curled like Andrea McArdle's? I saw the movie when I was little, so I always thought that Annie was born with curly hair, and until I saw Andrea singing Tomorrow at the Tony's on YouTube, the curly hair was sort of the Annie-norm for me. I'm kinda torn as to which I like better, because I think that Aileen looks best with big poofy hair as opposed to flatter hair, and Andrea looks cute with both the wavy hair and the curly hair. Do you guys have an opinion on it?

p.s. what did the comic strip Annie have?
I think that the Broadway production used a wig to enhance the "gussied up" appearance of Annie to look like the cartoon character, with the curly hair and trademark red dress...Andrea's own hair seemed to be a regular 70's style but dyed red, darker at the start of the run, lighter later on. Beginning with Shelley, and also Sarah J, Annie's "regular" hair was more of a short red dutchboy, then a bob for Allison and Alyson. It also appeared that there were two wigs, one with floppier curls, one with shorter, tighter curls.

As for Aileen, I read that she had to have a wig because her own hair was dark brown and wouldn't look realistic?? That doesn't make sense to me really, because couldn't they bleach it, then dye it redddish and perm it ? I think they had to bleach her own hair anyhow because of the dark color showing through the wig. I think Jon Merrill has addressed this question...I thought the transition for Aileen was more realistic than in the show, but everything else in the film..NOT !

Claire
Claire

3:52 AM - Dec 29, 2008 #5

I also noticed that they seemed to use two different wigs. I think you're referring to this wig:

http://www.annieorphans.com/CastLists/B ... ndrea3.htm

vs. this wig:

I personally love the floppier wig. It's cuter, I think.

Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

4:04 AM - Dec 29, 2008 #6

Personally I hated Aileen's hair in the movie. I don't know why they decided to do it that way. Any one know?

They also did Alicia's hair differently in the 1999 movie...I like that more than the first movie but i think that the way they have always done it on stage (strait/wavyish to curly wig) is how it should be done and i liked it the most.

Anyone have any insight into how any of the hairstyles were chosen?

in the comic strip it is curly red, basically the wig in the stage version.
Actually, most of the time in the comic strip it was yellow, so that it would stand out better against the red dress.

Jessie
Jessie

7:14 AM - Dec 29, 2008 #7

I also noticed that they seemed to use two different wigs. I think you're referring to this wig:

http://www.annieorphans.com/CastLists/B ... ndrea3.htm

vs. this wig:

I personally love the floppier wig. It's cuter, I think.

I like Andrea's better too. I think because it makes her look more like the original comic book character. Annie had big floppy curls like Andrea's wig. = ]

Meghan
Meghan

8:11 AM - Dec 29, 2008 #8

I dunno why, i just dont really like the wig Andrea is wearing. I think i like the more tighter curls.

Now here's a question: Has anyone ever seen someone who's hair really looked like that?
(or seen a picture of someone in the 30s whose hair looked like that?)
LOL

old fan
old fan

2:08 PM - Dec 29, 2008 #9

Actually, most of the time in the comic strip it was yellow, so that it would stand out better against the red dress.
Wasn't it red in the "Sunday funnies ?" They were reprinted as I recall when the show became such a hit, in our local paper. I know it was blond for Martin's book and the "logo" etc as well as sometimes in the comic strip for the reason you stated. It must have been red at some point ??

Jennifer
Jennifer

2:13 PM - Dec 29, 2008 #10

I dunno why, i just dont really like the wig Andrea is wearing. I think i like the more tighter curls.

Now here's a question: Has anyone ever seen someone who's hair really looked like that?
(or seen a picture of someone in the 30s whose hair looked like that?)
LOL
Yes it happens in real life, and it's usually genetic. There are often siblings or at least more than one person in the extended family with tight red curls. It's easier to take care of boy-short (layered, such as with Aileen's wig) than kept longer (hair care can be a headache...shudder).

I think Little Orphan Annie of the comic strip had short hair because she was originally a boy. Little Orphan Otto or something like that.