Annie - Community / Dinner Theatre Budget Question

Suzanne
Suzanne

October 8th, 2008, 4:17 pm #1

Does anyone know what the typical budget is for Annie in a small community or dinner theatre setting (non-equity)? I'm wondering what others have experienced as an overall budget and what the lowest end is that you were able to use. I had a friend tell me that they spent 45,000 on Annie Jr. and I was blown away. I think my budget was between 5,ooo and 7,ooo. But, I didn't have all that I wanted. --- I appreciate your help.

:0) Suzanne

David
David

October 8th, 2008, 8:35 pm #2

We did Annie a few years ago. We did eight performances and our cost for royalties and rentals was around $4,000. On top of that we spent somewhere between $3000 and $5000 on sets, costumes, lights, theatre rental etc. I was not directly involved on the budget end as I wasn't directing it but I believe that for around $7000 you should be able to pull it off. A lower budget simply means you have to be creative in other ways which I always find exciting. Hope this helps.

fan mom
fan mom

October 9th, 2008, 2:02 pm #3

I'm not sure about show budgets, but some advice is to make sure you have a back-up show in case you can't get rights because of tour. A couple of theaters, one pretty small, one bigger, in North NJ area were interested in putting on Annie in past year or two but neither got the rights.
I think one did Annie Warbucks instead, not sure about the other.

Suzanne
Suzanne

October 11th, 2008, 7:13 am #4

Does anyone know what the typical budget is for Annie in a small community or dinner theatre setting (non-equity)? I'm wondering what others have experienced as an overall budget and what the lowest end is that you were able to use. I had a friend tell me that they spent 45,000 on Annie Jr. and I was blown away. I think my budget was between 5,ooo and 7,ooo. But, I didn't have all that I wanted. --- I appreciate your help.

:0) Suzanne
Thank you both for the info.

I have been trying to figure out a way to get a decent budget that differs from the one I created when I produced and directed the show several years ago. But it looks like on 7,ooo bucks you can do some pretty great things... so it may just be a matter of splitting funds in other areas and being creative where you can. The one thing I refuse to be creative on is costumes... but Julie had informed me that you can rent them - and that may be cheaper... so I am gonna look into that too.

If you all get any other ideas - let me know. You can always email me too.

Suzanne