Annie audtioners who made it elsewhere

Julie Smith
Julie Smith

4:33 PM - Jul 08, 2008 #1

I don't know why I started wondering about this but ...

Do we know of any successful actresses who auditioned at one time or another for Annie, but didn't make it? I think I remember a discussion about Lara Jill Miller from Gimme A Break attending an audition. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of anyone else?

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

4:52 PM - Jul 08, 2008 #2

Yes, Lara Jill Miller (TV's "Gimme a Break") is seen auditioning in the "Prime Time Saturday" news piece when Allison Smith was cast as Annie. I know that Jane Krakowski (from "Ally McBeal" and now "30 Rock," as well as many Broadway shows) was cast in a tour and turned it down, as was Jill Whelan (the daughter of the captain on "The Love Boat"). Every once in a while, a film or TV actor will mention in an interview that they auditioned for the show or the movie version of "Annie."

Julie

Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

7:09 PM - Jul 08, 2008 #3

Do we know of any successful actresses who auditioned at one time or another for Annie, but didn't make it? I think I remember a discussion about Lara Jill Miller from Gimme A Break attending an audition. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of anyone else?
Debbie Gibson, the world's most popular teenage singer in 1987-1989, loved the show and tried out for Broadway and the National Tours, but she was never considered because she was too tall.

Julie Smith
Julie Smith

11:21 PM - Jul 08, 2008 #4

Thanks ... very interesting ... nmi

Morgan
Morgan

11:30 PM - Jul 08, 2008 #5

LeAnn Rimes auditioned for Annie 2 and was almost given the lead.

Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

3:05 AM - Jul 09, 2008 #6

The auditions for "Annie 2" were in September 1989. Wouldn't LeAnn have been a little young for the lead, considering she had turned 7 only a couple of weeks before??

k-the-o ;-)
k-the-o ;-)

3:44 PM - Jul 09, 2008 #7

Yes, Lara Jill Miller (TV's "Gimme a Break") is seen auditioning in the "Prime Time Saturday" news piece when Allison Smith was cast as Annie. I know that Jane Krakowski (from "Ally McBeal" and now "30 Rock," as well as many Broadway shows) was cast in a tour and turned it down, as was Jill Whelan (the daughter of the captain on "The Love Boat"). Every once in a while, a film or TV actor will mention in an interview that they auditioned for the show or the movie version of "Annie."

Julie
Get out! I used to watch Love Boat and ALWAYS said to my friends, "She seems like she'd be a good Annie". She had the look i.e. the Andrea hairdo! and the raspy voice. I knew it! LOL

Now, was she actually cast in a touring production or auditioned - do you know?

Wasn't Lara a bit on the tall side? I didn't know she was in the Primetime/Allison piece. Wow. I have it on audio, I don't suppose we can hear her singing on it, can we?

TheatreGuyNYC
TheatreGuyNYC

5:05 PM - Jul 09, 2008 #8

You're taking me back a few decades but I remember reading an article at the time when The Love Boat was on the air. In it they mentioned that Jill Whelan had auditioned for Annie and had been offered an orphan role at the same time that she was offered The Love Boat and had to choose between the two projects. As a kid of the time I remember thinking, "Why would she turn down Annie" but I guess in the long run The Love Boat was the wiser choice. If memory serves she was offered the part of an orphan in the LA company when Patricia Ann Patts was Annie.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

5:27 PM - Jul 09, 2008 #9

She was offered the role of July, I believe, in the LA production, but turned it down. I have an interview with Lori Kickliter that I've been meaning to upload on the podcast page and she said she was offered the role when Jill turned it down.

Julie

NYCMom
NYCMom

7:52 PM - Jul 09, 2008 #10

Wow, I loved The Love Boat, and agree that she made the better choice!