Annie 2

Elise
Elise

July 31st, 2008, 7:13 pm #1

I was wondering what happen to Annie 2: Miss Hannigan's Revenge its not in production no more did Danielle Findley was the only one to play annie

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

July 31st, 2008, 9:50 pm #2

"Annie 2" was a disaster when it previewed in Chicago (I believe), mostly because the plot revolved around Miss Hannigan and not Annie or the orphans. The show was re-worked and opened off-Broadway as "Annie Warbucks." You can watch some videos from the show on this website, on the video page.

Julie

David
David

July 31st, 2008, 11:44 pm #3

Julie,

Did'nt "Annie 2" tryout in DC?

Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

August 1st, 2008, 1:34 am #4

Annie 2: Miss Hannigan's Revenge opened at the Kennedy Center in Washington in December 1989. It got awful reviews and played for only 4 weeks before closing. The Broadway opening scheduled for March 1, 1990 was cancelled.

At Goodspeed-At-Chester in Connecticut, the constantly-changing Annie 2 ran as a workshop between May and July 1990. The character of Miss Hannigan got smaller and smaller and finally disappeared.

Much later, after considerable rewriting, it opened in Chicago as Annie Warbucks in February 1992. Then a year and a half later in July 1993 it began its seven-month off-Broadway run in New York.

Only two songs from the opening performance of Annie 2: MHR survived until Annie Warbucks: "When You Smile" and "A Younger Man."

The synopsis of the plotline of the 1989 opening performance in Washington is at my Web site:

http://members.aol.com/jonmerrill/a2mhr.txt

Tony
Tony

August 1st, 2008, 8:01 pm #5

What do you think of the new CD. Does hearing the Annie 2 disk bring back memories?

Elise
Elise

August 1st, 2008, 10:48 pm #6

Annie 2: Miss Hannigan's Revenge opened at the Kennedy Center in Washington in December 1989. It got awful reviews and played for only 4 weeks before closing. The Broadway opening scheduled for March 1, 1990 was cancelled.

At Goodspeed-At-Chester in Connecticut, the constantly-changing Annie 2 ran as a workshop between May and July 1990. The character of Miss Hannigan got smaller and smaller and finally disappeared.

Much later, after considerable rewriting, it opened in Chicago as Annie Warbucks in February 1992. Then a year and a half later in July 1993 it began its seven-month off-Broadway run in New York.

Only two songs from the opening performance of Annie 2: MHR survived until Annie Warbucks: "When You Smile" and "A Younger Man."

The synopsis of the plotline of the 1989 opening performance in Washington is at my Web site:

http://members.aol.com/jonmerrill/a2mhr.txt
thanks Julie and Jon

Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

August 2nd, 2008, 12:16 am #7

What do you think of the new CD. Does hearing the Annie 2 disk bring back memories?
Very much so! I saw the show three times in preview week, twice at the midpoint of the run, and twice the final weekend. It was almost like seeing three different shows, there were so many ongoing changes.

There wasn't really anything wrong with the show; it's just that people weren't ready to have someone try to MURDER Annie! Miss Hannigan was the primary focus of the show, and the audience didn't want to see an adult musical about Miss Hannigan. They wanted to see moments between the girl and the dog, the girl and Warbucks, that sort of thing and that's all they cared about. Martin said that three minutes into the first preview he could tell from the audience that the creators had written "the wrong show."

Length was a problem too; the first preview was three and a half hours long, and drastic cuts had to be made over the course of the run. Tricia and I were in something like the fourth row at the first preview, and we found ourselves next to Danielle Findley's mom and dad. Naturally, we had to join them in a standing ovation at the end, and we were the only four doing so in an auditorium of about 2,000. How embarrassing!

The opening night was delayed for a week till the first week of January in order to prevent even worse reviews. But the reviews still caused the coming Broadway opening to be cancelled. I still have Xeroxes of my tickets dated March 1, 1990 at the Marriott Marquis, which I made before I sent them back for refund.

The talent in this show was second to none. Danielle Findley was wonderful and deserves a lot of credit for bearing up under changes being made from performance to performance. And then of course there was Harve Presnell and Dorothy Loudon and Ray Thorne. Can't get any better than that. And Lauren Mitchell was, and probably always will be, my favorite Grace of all-time.

I am very glad they did the CD, to show people that there really was a lot of good stuff in A2:MHR, and it shouldn't be totally forgotten.

Ned
Ned

August 2nd, 2008, 6:11 am #8

thanks Julie and Jon
I agree with Jon. The cast tried very hard to make "Annie 2" work, but they couldn't save a show that no one really wanted to see. It added elements of the movie that weren't in the original show (Punjab and the "Asp") and downplayed the relationship between Annie and Warbucks. As Jon said, it was mostly about Miss Hannigan and her love interest, played by Ronny Graham. I spoke to Marian Seldes, also in the cast, about it last summer in New York. She said that they worked very hard for a long time, but it was not meant to be. I was so happy to be able to see Dorothy Loudon since I missed her as Miss Hannigan in "Annie." Of course, "Annie Warbucks" ended up being a very different show that again focused on Annie, Warbucks and the orphans, which is what made the first show a hit.

Tony
Tony

August 3rd, 2008, 11:11 pm #9

Very much so! I saw the show three times in preview week, twice at the midpoint of the run, and twice the final weekend. It was almost like seeing three different shows, there were so many ongoing changes.

There wasn't really anything wrong with the show; it's just that people weren't ready to have someone try to MURDER Annie! Miss Hannigan was the primary focus of the show, and the audience didn't want to see an adult musical about Miss Hannigan. They wanted to see moments between the girl and the dog, the girl and Warbucks, that sort of thing and that's all they cared about. Martin said that three minutes into the first preview he could tell from the audience that the creators had written "the wrong show."

Length was a problem too; the first preview was three and a half hours long, and drastic cuts had to be made over the course of the run. Tricia and I were in something like the fourth row at the first preview, and we found ourselves next to Danielle Findley's mom and dad. Naturally, we had to join them in a standing ovation at the end, and we were the only four doing so in an auditorium of about 2,000. How embarrassing!

The opening night was delayed for a week till the first week of January in order to prevent even worse reviews. But the reviews still caused the coming Broadway opening to be cancelled. I still have Xeroxes of my tickets dated March 1, 1990 at the Marriott Marquis, which I made before I sent them back for refund.

The talent in this show was second to none. Danielle Findley was wonderful and deserves a lot of credit for bearing up under changes being made from performance to performance. And then of course there was Harve Presnell and Dorothy Loudon and Ray Thorne. Can't get any better than that. And Lauren Mitchell was, and probably always will be, my favorite Grace of all-time.

I am very glad they did the CD, to show people that there really was a lot of good stuff in A2:MHR, and it shouldn't be totally forgotten.
Do you Jon, or does anyone know what Danielle is doing now?

Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

August 3rd, 2008, 11:43 pm #10

It's been many years since I've had any contact with Danielle Findley's family, so I don't know anything current about her except that she just turned 30. At the time of A2:MHR, she lived in Lee's Summit, Missouri.