old fan
old fan

July 6th, 2008, 2:16 pm #11

..I actually just meant the Annie pranks...I wonder why they stepped up the discipline but let the first cast get away with everything? I remember reading all of the girls were involved in silly jokes, but when Shelley took over, there was a new regime of zero-tolerance....as for Alexis, I just think that would be something she would want to keep private, in my opinion...I would !

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

July 6th, 2008, 4:33 pm #12

Oh, I thought you meant that Alexis shouldn't share the story because it was a 'prank'. I thought, "Well, if she can pee on cue, than more power to her (as an actress)!" LOL

The kids I mentioned were in the first tour (ever) so that wasn't long after the Bway opening. Maybe they learned the hard way (by not disciplining the bway kids right away) and decided to nip all pranks in the bud before the touring kids got carried away.

I remember reading those articles as a 12 year old and thinking, "Wow. I would never do that because I'd get in such trouble". That is, I couldn't imagine being disrespectful to the adults around me so I was in awe of what Andrea and the other kids did.

middleAgedFan!
middleAgedFan!

July 6th, 2008, 6:34 pm #13

well, in terms off andrea's pranks, Julie made it clear that that kind of stuff was absoutely unthinkable. It must have been a one time situation with Andrea. She was alerady the star, and they must of thought that until she outgrows the pary there was nothing they could really do. Martin seemed pretty under Andrea's thumb. I was glad to hear from Julie that it was not acceptable behaviour on stage. I just paid for opera tickets that were well over$400 - If there was was anything purposeful that "took me out" of the show and snapped me back into reality I would have been unhappy.

old fan
old fan

July 6th, 2008, 6:38 pm #14

I would be pretty annoyed at that price, as well ! On some of the interview clips Julie has here, the original girls describe pranks like putting gooey stuff on the orphans' beds, putting bubble bath in a pool, pretending to Danielle that she had measles etc, nothing that would really affect the show, but Shelley writes more in her book about more disruptive pranks.

AnnieFan65
AnnieFan65

July 6th, 2008, 7:51 pm #15

Andrea has also written about pranks she pulled in Les Miz. Seems like she liked to eat M&M's on stage and they once dumped out of her pocket during a scene. Guess she still gets bored on stage and needs a distraction. With talent like hers it's too bad she feels a need to pull pranks. She's incredible talent wise.

Anyone
Anyone

July 7th, 2008, 4:17 am #16

I read "Making it on Broadway" and was annoyed with the attitude of Andrea as well as many other actors, many of whom coincidentally were Les Mis veterans. People spend years and years aspiring for Broadway and only a teeny, tiny small itty bitty fraction of those who endeavor succeed in getting a Broadway part at all. If you see anything about auditions, hundreds of people all similarly talented and of the same typecast, all audition for a handful of parts. To get a major role... God that is like winning the lottery. These people seemed to take it so for granted and were so jaded. I don't understand.. what did you work so hard to be an actor for? If it's soooo bad and boring and repetitive and so on and so forth, leave it... go do something else. Take a sabbatical, go back to school. Plenty of other people would kill to be in your place and would be a whole lot more passionate.
I saw an interview with a woman (I don't know who or which production she was in) playing Madame T in Les Mis for something like 10 years literally. She expressed how grateful she was to play the part in such a great show and to get to play it for so long, and mentioned that she always tries to keep it fresh and new- like it is the first time she is playing it; she constantly tries to find new nuances or things to add. That is the attitude I would expect someone in a major Broadway production might have.. and I really admired her for it. Instead of throwing M&M's around on stage (Andrea said in that book that the castmembers threw M&M's at each other around the barricade during performances), she put her heart into her performance. Bravo!

People are paying now $120 + for an average orchestra seat.. they deserve the actors' 100% efforts.

I saw Les Mis something like 25 times on Broadway. The first time I saw it was just unbelievably mezemerizing and awesome.. I was blown away every moment and from the actors and their voices, and I fell in love with theater because of it. By the end of its run, I felt its staleness and the magic seemed to have sadly faded. I could see phoned in performances and could feel the boredom coming from the stage. Sad to know that the actors were throwing M&M's around instead of putting a drop more effort into making it the beautiful, heart stopping, amazing work of art it once was.

Andrea, when she talks of her pranks in Annie, sounds like a spoiled brat who thought she could do whatever she wanted because she was the star. It might not have been that way, but it is the tone that comes accross to me.

Sarah
Sarah

July 7th, 2008, 3:13 pm #17

I do remember at least one London cast of Les Mis who used to have theme nights on Saturdays- where they allegedly themed the performance around a certain injoke. Whether the management ever found out, or the audience ever noticed, I dont know! Ive been in plenty of professional companies where things like that go on. Im not remotely condoning it, but its not uncommon in a long run

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

July 7th, 2008, 9:50 pm #18

I read "Making it on Broadway" and was annoyed with the attitude of Andrea as well as many other actors, many of whom coincidentally were Les Mis veterans. People spend years and years aspiring for Broadway and only a teeny, tiny small itty bitty fraction of those who endeavor succeed in getting a Broadway part at all. If you see anything about auditions, hundreds of people all similarly talented and of the same typecast, all audition for a handful of parts. To get a major role... God that is like winning the lottery. These people seemed to take it so for granted and were so jaded. I don't understand.. what did you work so hard to be an actor for? If it's soooo bad and boring and repetitive and so on and so forth, leave it... go do something else. Take a sabbatical, go back to school. Plenty of other people would kill to be in your place and would be a whole lot more passionate.
I saw an interview with a woman (I don't know who or which production she was in) playing Madame T in Les Mis for something like 10 years literally. She expressed how grateful she was to play the part in such a great show and to get to play it for so long, and mentioned that she always tries to keep it fresh and new- like it is the first time she is playing it; she constantly tries to find new nuances or things to add. That is the attitude I would expect someone in a major Broadway production might have.. and I really admired her for it. Instead of throwing M&M's around on stage (Andrea said in that book that the castmembers threw M&M's at each other around the barricade during performances), she put her heart into her performance. Bravo!

People are paying now $120 + for an average orchestra seat.. they deserve the actors' 100% efforts.

I saw Les Mis something like 25 times on Broadway. The first time I saw it was just unbelievably mezemerizing and awesome.. I was blown away every moment and from the actors and their voices, and I fell in love with theater because of it. By the end of its run, I felt its staleness and the magic seemed to have sadly faded. I could see phoned in performances and could feel the boredom coming from the stage. Sad to know that the actors were throwing M&M's around instead of putting a drop more effort into making it the beautiful, heart stopping, amazing work of art it once was.

Andrea, when she talks of her pranks in Annie, sounds like a spoiled brat who thought she could do whatever she wanted because she was the star. It might not have been that way, but it is the tone that comes accross to me.
"I saw an interview with a woman (I don't know who or which production she was in) playing Madame T in Les Mis for something like 10 years literally. She expressed how grateful she was to play the part in such a great show and to get to play it for so long, and mentioned that she always tries to keep it fresh and new- like it is the first time she is playing it; she constantly tries to find new nuances or things to add. That is the attitude I would expect someone in a major Broadway production might have.. and I really admired her for it."

I, too, find it more admirable when an actor/actress in a long-running show finds different ways to approach the role - no matter how large or small the role. I applaud this woman.

I agree that Andrea (and others) come across as unprofessional and somewhat bratty. Pranks backstage are one thing but on stage...not cool. As you said, not when we're paying over 100 bucks for a ticket.

AnnieFan65
AnnieFan65

July 8th, 2008, 1:17 am #19

I got the same impression. I can almost accept it from Andrea as a 12 year old. She was part of a new show, she was suddenly famous and it sounds like got kind of bratty. But as an adult who can appreciate how hard it is to get a show you expect better.

Andrea hasn't been on Broadway for a while so maybe she'll get it.

Christine71
Christine71

July 8th, 2008, 3:22 am #20

Wow, what a humorless bunch! Professionals (especially 13-year-olds) must always be serious?! This is one of the silliest "debates" ever to appear here. These "pranks" were not the norm, nor did they disrupt a show (except on rare...VERY rare...unexpected ocassions).

To suggest that Andrea's ocassional pranks reflect a lack of seriousness about a production, or an absence of any appreciation for her success is, of course, nonsense. Anyone who knows Andrea, or even has seen her perform, would be hard-pressed to accuse her of not taking her work seriously, or slacking off. For every "M & M incident," there are countless examples of her going above and beyond--for example, when she finished a performance of ANNIE after having been knocked unconscious during HKL.

Now, back to my Serious Face...