Amanda

Amanda

Debbie
Debbie

March 2nd, 2008, 11:38 pm #1

Is Amanda okay? That is great Grace has gone on that many times. I hope everything is okay with Amanda....

Morgan
Morgan

March 2nd, 2008, 11:44 pm #2

I hope she's okay. To all of a sudden miss 21 performances is quite a bit, since she has never before missed a show. She always seems so healthy and bubbly. Just hope she gets better soon!

Julie Smith
Julie Smith

March 3rd, 2008, 12:02 am #3

Is Amanda okay? That is great Grace has gone on that many times. I hope everything is okay with Amanda....
When I saw her last weekend in Flint, Michigan, she gave a fantastic performance and seemed fine when we met her afterward.

It is flu and cold season, so let's not read too much into something. One of my girls has been fighting a stomach flu off and on for three weeks now. Imagine how easy it would be for a company of people to pass things back and forth. I'm surprised the understudies and swings are used more.

But, that is just MHO.

AnnieFan
AnnieFan

March 3rd, 2008, 12:14 am #4

I hope she's okay. To all of a sudden miss 21 performances is quite a bit, since she has never before missed a show. She always seems so healthy and bubbly. Just hope she gets better soon!
Grace will be performing all of the matinees for the remainder of the tour, because Amanda is developing vocal nodes. Hopefully Amanda gets better, she really is such a great performer, so much personality. But unfortunately, I don't think her voice has been trained, which can cause many vocal problems later on.

March 3rd, 2008, 12:25 am #5

That's awful - the grueling schedule and that many performances per week (often after traveling all day) will take a toll on anyone. I hope she's able to recover through more rest and whatever else she needs (voice therapy?). Nodes are a common and scary problem in the opera world as well.

old fan
old fan

March 3rd, 2008, 12:32 am #6

Grace will be performing all of the matinees for the remainder of the tour, because Amanda is developing vocal nodes. Hopefully Amanda gets better, she really is such a great performer, so much personality. But unfortunately, I don't think her voice has been trained, which can cause many vocal problems later on.
...what makes one more prone to this than another ? Does anyone know of any other Annies (with the same demands upon them)who developed this ? I know Julie Andrews and Pavorotti had this problem...

AnnieFan
AnnieFan

March 3rd, 2008, 12:45 am #7

I think I read on another forum a while ago that Dana Benedict (Annie in a national tour) had them? Not certain though...

Becky
Becky

March 3rd, 2008, 1:27 am #8

When I saw her last weekend in Flint, Michigan, she gave a fantastic performance and seemed fine when we met her afterward.

It is flu and cold season, so let's not read too much into something. One of my girls has been fighting a stomach flu off and on for three weeks now. Imagine how easy it would be for a company of people to pass things back and forth. I'm surprised the understudies and swings are used more.

But, that is just MHO.
Hi I think that they should have two Annie ..so it give them a break.. so they do not get sick ..

Is Amanda still going to play Annie and stay on tour to the end.. i like her lot and I like looking at picture and reading what people write on her guest book to..

Ps
can people talk to who dose audition and ask if they can two Annie and understudy so no one gets sick thanks

nc girl
nc girl

March 3rd, 2008, 7:29 pm #9

...what makes one more prone to this than another ? Does anyone know of any other Annies (with the same demands upon them)who developed this ? I know Julie Andrews and Pavorotti had this problem...
Lots of reasons. Could be not singing properly and lack of proper use of the diaphram--pushing up on the chest voice--singing notes that are too high for the individuals particular chest range when they should be transtioning into the head voice instead, causing strain on the vocal chords. You usually see the veins bulging form the neck when this occurs, as well as a red face. Also, singing while sick, especially belting when the throat and esophagus are inflamed, or not drinking enough water, or not warming up properly before singing. Singing may not even have anything to do it, rather speaking improperly. This happened to my brother. He doesn't sing, but sure likes to talk and found out he was doing it improperly.

March 3rd, 2008, 8:14 pm #10

Some people just happen to have voices that are more "fragile" and might tend to have this happen. For example, look at Patti LuPone (whom I love!). How many years has she been belting very high? Look at old youtube videos of her Evita - it's incredible! She is essentially coming close to screaming, but she's singing, belting high Es and Fs throughout the show. And she did that, I assume, 8 times a week. Patti is still going strong! She apparently has the kind of voice that can handle that.

Other people, including me, most certainly do not! And the role of Annie, the way it should be sung for the most part (belting, not head voice), would have the tendency to cause vocal problems.