Agent question

Agent question

a Mom
a Mom

December 12th, 2008, 7:26 pm #1

My daughter is in the dreaded "dead zone". Therefore, her agent and manager (she has both) have not called or sent her out much. I submit her from time to time on my own when I see things on Actors Equity, Backstage, etc. I was wondering-Am I supposed to list her agent or managers name on the resume? If a resume appears in front of a casting director with a big name child agent on it, is it taken more seriously? Does the representation help get her thru the door? We have not signed anything and are on a free lance basis. My daughter had been seen for a feature film and it was on a self submittal. Unfortunately, she did not book it. Should I have told her agent that she was auditioning since she doesn't do anything for her and we sent in the headshot, etc.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

December 12th, 2008, 11:25 pm #2

I don't think you should list the agent or manager on your resume if you are self-submitting. Just know that if you book a job, an agent is the only one who can negotiate the contract, so you would need to pay the agent commission anyway. It really depends on the job. If it is for a student, independent or short film, then you would not need an agent or manager to do anything. If it was a feature film or anything on network television, then you would need to use an agent. I would also put your cell phone number on your daughter's resume, so you can be contacted directly and then decide if you want to go through an agent.

Julie

NYCMom
NYCMom

December 13th, 2008, 3:09 pm #3

My daughter is in the dreaded "dead zone". Therefore, her agent and manager (she has both) have not called or sent her out much. I submit her from time to time on my own when I see things on Actors Equity, Backstage, etc. I was wondering-Am I supposed to list her agent or managers name on the resume? If a resume appears in front of a casting director with a big name child agent on it, is it taken more seriously? Does the representation help get her thru the door? We have not signed anything and are on a free lance basis. My daughter had been seen for a feature film and it was on a self submittal. Unfortunately, she did not book it. Should I have told her agent that she was auditioning since she doesn't do anything for her and we sent in the headshot, etc.
I also don't think you should put an agent on self-submissions. The agent's first job is to get the auditions. If you are submitting and getting seen on your own, I can't see why you'd need to list your agent (or manager). I agree with Julie about contract negotiations, though so you have to decide whether you can handle that on your own if it comes up. Wouldn't really be fair to bring in the agent after the fact.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

December 13th, 2008, 6:14 pm #4

It's not about being fair - an agent is the only one that can negotiate a Union contract. I self-submit all the time and will put my agent's contact info., as well as my own. Agents represent a lot of clients and don't often submit me for projects that I think I'm right for. It can never hurt to cover your bases. Unless you are a lawyer or have an entertainment attorney on retainer, it's never a good idea to negotiate your own contract.

Julie