A request for potential audition song ideas!

November 15th, 2008, 1:19 am #1

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for ideas for good audition songs for me. Unfortunately, since I studied opera, the things that I sing don't really fit my "type." I'm an adult but I look very young, could pass for a teenager. But I'm not a belter, and most musical theatre songs that suit my type are belty. Can anyone throw me some ideas for audition songs that aren't belty but might suit me, have a "young" flavor to them? I'll take any suggestions!

Thanks!
Last edited by -Grief- on November 15th, 2008, 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jessica
Jessica

November 15th, 2008, 7:15 am #2

Im over 18, but I play pretty young onstage. My soprano range is much stronger than my belt, so Im no stranger to looking for soprano songs with a young flair. I use The Glamorous Life from the film version of A Little Night Music, and I've had pretty good luck with that. It's Fredrika's song, if you aren't familiar with it, and she's right in the age range that I play. It is Sondheim, but I haven't had a problem with accompanists playing it.

I also use If You Haven't Got A Sweetheart from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It's a simple, sweet little song. Look Who's Dancing is a decent up-tempo from the same show. I've had good experiences using Young Jane's portion of The Graveyard from Jane Eyre. Jane Eyre is on a lot of overdone lists, but that song isn't available in the vocal selections so it doesn't get as much attention.

That is all that I can think of for now; though Im sure Ill come up with more suggestions later. Good luck!

JB
JB

November 15th, 2008, 5:45 pm #3

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for ideas for good audition songs for me. Unfortunately, since I studied opera, the things that I sing don't really fit my "type." I'm an adult but I look very young, could pass for a teenager. But I'm not a belter, and most musical theatre songs that suit my type are belty. Can anyone throw me some ideas for audition songs that aren't belty but might suit me, have a "young" flavor to them? I'll take any suggestions!

Thanks!
I'm a little confused if you mean by "belty type" more sassy and brasher songs? If so try, "I Can't Say No" from Oklahoma, "I Enjoy Being a Girl" from Flower Drum Song (I'm a soprano and have used both of these for beltyish songs in my mix)

For sweeter soprano songs: "Goodnight My Someone" from Music Man, "The Beauty Is" from Light in the Piazza (or the title song), "One Boy" from Bye Bye Birdie, "Vanilla Ice Cream" from She Loves Me (well that one is adultish), "Much More" The Fantasticks...

Alright, any one of those what you're looking for?

November 17th, 2008, 2:10 am #4

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for! I wrote down all your suggestions and I'm going to try to get them from the library and try them out. Thanks!

Jessica
Jessica

November 18th, 2008, 5:50 am #5

if you have trouble tracking down any of that music. I know where you can find it online. I have have some of them saved electronically too... it might save you some trouble. You can email me at jessiethemodern@yahoo.com

November 18th, 2008, 4:14 pm #6

Thanks!

November 18th, 2008, 11:31 pm #7

The info you emailed me was so helpful!