A little OT....Autism: The Musical

Mishee
Mishee

March 26th, 2008, 5:56 pm #1

I hope this is ok to post. I guess it relates to Annie in that my sons both love Annie. Both are also autistic...

Autism The Musical is a documentary focusing on 5 kids with varying degrees of autism and their involvement in putting on a musical. I haven't seen it yet (no HBO) but have heard great things about it and thought some might be interested.

This was broadcast on HBO last night and will be available for viewing online free until Sunday.
Here's the link...
http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/autism/video/
Thanks,
Michelle

old fan
old fan

March 26th, 2008, 6:27 pm #2

...what an amazingly brilliant concept ! I only watched some of this but I will definitely watch the entire thing when i have more time...how touching. Thanks for posting this. And how is your cute little Anthony doing ?

March 26th, 2008, 10:01 pm #3

I hope this is ok to post. I guess it relates to Annie in that my sons both love Annie. Both are also autistic...

Autism The Musical is a documentary focusing on 5 kids with varying degrees of autism and their involvement in putting on a musical. I haven't seen it yet (no HBO) but have heard great things about it and thought some might be interested.

This was broadcast on HBO last night and will be available for viewing online free until Sunday.
Here's the link...
Thanks,
Michelle
I got a message saying it can be viewed outside the US

old fan
old fan

March 26th, 2008, 10:24 pm #4

Here's the link...
Thanks,
Michelle
...I can't wait to watch the whole thing. Do you get HBO in France? this is the amazing story of a few autistic kids and how theater touches their lives in a special program developed to help them.
Well, just as Michelle said !

March 27th, 2008, 6:31 am #5

We have lots of channels but they're all French. On cable/satellite TV, you can get European, Asian and Arabic channels but the only Americans you can see are CNN and NBC Europe.

loved it
loved it

March 28th, 2008, 12:04 am #6

Here's the link...
Thanks,
Michelle
I watched the whole thing.
SO inspiring.
Thank you for sharing. I've truly been enlightened!

Mishee
Mishee

March 28th, 2008, 12:31 am #7

...what an amazingly brilliant concept ! I only watched some of this but I will definitely watch the entire thing when i have more time...how touching. Thanks for posting this. And how is your cute little Anthony doing ?
Anthony is doing well. He started taking tap dance in October and absolutely loves it!
He's going to be busy in April...He'll be in a production of the local children's theater in our town. He'll also be singing at an Autism Awareness fund raiser. He was asked to return after charming the audience last year. (Proud mama moment!) He's excited because we're moving in June to be closer to my husbands job and my piano studio. All he talks about is taking piano lessons again. (That's what started our adventures in music!)

About the video....I would love to see if there is something like that where we're moving. Since autism has become such a part of our lives, I have seen how the arts have touched both my boys. My little one who's 5 wanted to take tap also. Well with baited breath, I warned the studio about him and signed him up. (Imagine Chevy Chase, the guy from SNL who used to fall off chairs, trying to be graceful.) He's the only boy with 5 little girls...so he's been working on social skills! He also has gotten a lot more coordinated. We're still working getting him to slow down when they do the bar. He keeps using it as a monkey bar...He may not make a career of dance (LOL) but he's enjoyng it while teaching the teachers a thing or two about autism...

RLS
RLS

March 28th, 2008, 4:33 am #8

Here's the link...
Thanks,
Michelle
I am happy to hear that your boys are doing so well.... ven though we've never met, I hold a special place for them (and you) in my heart. I have found that my most rewarding work (besides being a mom) is the work that I have done with autistic children... My family loves musical theater, so I am excited to watch this! I have a question that, I hope someone can answer... I don't have cable, let alone HBO. Is this what they are showing on HBO in it's entirerty or is there more that I can see? Because if that's the case, I'd check myself into a hotel wtih free HBO if I needed to in order to see it! Please let me know if you have an idea! Thanks!

Mishee
Mishee

March 28th, 2008, 1:08 pm #9

Thanks for your kind words... I also follow what goes on here on the board, all the adventures in auditioning, the successes and the learning opportunities. It's fun to read.

Seeing and working with autistic kids is rewarding and challenging. Both my boys have had wonderful teachers and paras (aides) who genuinely love the kids. They get so excited with all the successes big and small that these kids work towards. I tear up when I think of moving and leaving them to go to another town. So I can appreciate what you say about working with kids with ASD. My husband and I also are thankful that our boys have worked to become high functioning, no visible behaviors or quirks until you get to know them. Our boys could have been a lot worse or more seriously affected. There are parents out there who are saints in every sense of the word. I don't know how they do it day to day....

Anway, You can actually watch the movie online until and including Sunday. I don't have HBO but watched it online.
Here's the link:
http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/autism/video

I hope this works for you.

Michelle

RLS
RLS

March 28th, 2008, 2:25 pm #10

I am glad to know that is the le thing... I will watch it tonight. I am also going to send it to the aide I work with at school, she might like to see it as well. Thanks for sharing this..........