A-level Coursework Help Needed...

Alex
Alex

July 7th, 2008, 1:44 pm #1

Hi,

I know it was ages ago, but does anyone have, or know where there are, any pictures of Adrienne Warren, the first Black African-American girl to play Annie, as Annie?

They would be really handy for me for a piece of A-Level coursework I'm planning to do at school.

I've found a few recent pictures of Adrienne online and some articles about her landing the part but I can't find any pictures of her from her Annie days, nor of any other non-White girls playing Annie. Does anyone know, is Adrienne the only Black girl who's played Annie?

There's some info I've found here:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_19847141

http://hamptonroads.com/node/306201

Thanks!

Alex

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

July 7th, 2008, 2:04 pm #2

Alex:

I think I have tracked down Adrienne and have sent her an email. I've also sent her your email address, so perhaps she will write to one of us or post a message here.

Julie

Alex
Alex

July 7th, 2008, 3:34 pm #3

Hi Julie,

Wow! I hope you didn't do that just on my account. I was only looking for a picture or two. The work I'm planning is for drama. We have to write an essay for our written portfolio and I chose to write about iconic characters in TV and film, and on stage, and how, over time, we come up with stereotypes about who they should be played by and how they should be portrayed.

I'm going to talk a bit about, for example, the different actors who've played James Bond, and how people never seem to agree on who they prefer, and how the same is true for Dr Who. I got the idea for the topic from i'd Do Anything and Nancy and Oliver are other characters I'm going to focus on.

There was such a diversity of entrants in I'd Do Anything and there were lots of disagreements amongst the judges. Some thought that Samantha, for example, was too young to play Nancy at 17 and others that Jodie was too old and Nancy should be young and fresh. There was a black boy among the 12 Olivers too, and my friends and I couldn't agree on whether he should play Oliver.

Annie is such a universally popular character, and one of the most stereotyped, with her trademark red curls, and I'm such a big Annie fan, that I want to include her, too. I wasn't aware that Annie had ever been played by a Black girl until recently, although I know it has toured in some non-white countries and I thought I might mention Adrienne, but couldn't find a single picture of her from Annie anywhere.

I think I've got plenty to write as it isn't supposed to be a huge essay and I picked a very broad topic, but it would be nice to know how the tour went. The articles said that people were very hostile about the idea of Adrienne playing Annie but that the producer hoped they would see why she got the part. Adriennne seemed quite nervous. It'd be nice to know what the response was once the show started.

Thanks!

Alex

Alex
Alex

July 7th, 2008, 7:45 pm #4

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the photo you emailed me.

Alex

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

July 7th, 2008, 9:43 pm #5

Hi,

I know it was ages ago, but does anyone have, or know where there are, any pictures of Adrienne Warren, the first Black African-American girl to play Annie, as Annie?

They would be really handy for me for a piece of A-Level coursework I'm planning to do at school.

I've found a few recent pictures of Adrienne online and some articles about her landing the part but I can't find any pictures of her from her Annie days, nor of any other non-White girls playing Annie. Does anyone know, is Adrienne the only Black girl who's played Annie?

There's some info I've found here:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_19847141

http://hamptonroads.com/node/306201

Thanks!

Alex
I never knew about her. That's awesome, though kinda sad that people got all uppity about it. Remember when Audra McDonald was cast as Grace? She said she got hate mail and I think, death threats. So very sad.

I didn't see any pictures with those articles. Were you able to find any? I'll do a search and see what I can find.

Thanks for posting this and good luck with your coursework.

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

July 7th, 2008, 9:53 pm #6

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the photo you emailed me.

Alex
Could you encourage her to post here? I would love to hear about her experience, if she is willing and comfortable sharing.

Wasn't there a law show fairly recently where one of the clients was a girl who wanted to play Annie, was talented enough, but didn't get the role because she was black? I have some vague memory of her singing in the conference room and she had a mighty voice. I know it was a fictional character but I always wondered about that actress and if she ever really did play the role.

Rachel
Rachel

July 7th, 2008, 10:34 pm #7

That was the premiere episode of "Boston Legal" several years ago. The wannabe Annie was played by Jadzia Pittman.

Rachel

old fan
old fan

July 7th, 2008, 10:51 pm #8

I never knew about her. That's awesome, though kinda sad that people got all uppity about it. Remember when Audra McDonald was cast as Grace? She said she got hate mail and I think, death threats. So very sad.

I didn't see any pictures with those articles. Were you able to find any? I'll do a search and see what I can find.

...I used to wonder if Lyndsey Watkins really had a chance to play Annie, because she sure had the voice and was the right age and "could act" according to Martin !

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

July 7th, 2008, 10:54 pm #9

This is a photo of Adrienne now and you can hear her singing a song called "Safe Sex" on her band's My Space page:

http://www.myspace.com/thedreamengine

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

July 8th, 2008, 1:24 am #10

Wow. What a voice! She must have belted the heck out of Tomorrow!