20th Anniversary understudy?

20th Anniversary understudy?

Claire
Claire

December 13th, 2008, 2:00 am #1

I was watching the follow up to the Turning Point special on the 20th Anniversary production of Annie. The narrator said that when Joanna got bronchitis, they tried out some of the other orphans to find a new understudy, which was how they fell in love with Brittny. But I'm confused. Didn't Joanna already have an understudy named Alexandra? What happened to her? Did she leave the production for some reason? Did she go on for Joanna at all while Joanna was sick? Could somebody fill me in?

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

December 13th, 2008, 2:28 am #2

Despite what they may have reported on "Turning Point," Britney was taken aside in secret and rehearsed in the role, despite the fact that she was not the understudy. Perhaps they didn't think Alexandra, the understudy, was ready or the best choice to replace Joanna. I'm not sure, but if Joanna was out sick, I'm guessing Alexandra was going on in the role for her.

Julie

Claire
Claire

December 13th, 2008, 2:57 am #3

Thanks Julie. I also heard a rumor that the producers originally thought that Brittny was better for the role, but she was too young, so they chose Joanna as a temporary "Annie" until Brittny grew a little bit, and then used Joanna's sickness as the perfect opportunity to fire her. Have the producers ever officially released their reasoning behind the firing of Joanna?

December 13th, 2008, 4:13 am #4

Despite what they may have reported on "Turning Point," Britney was taken aside in secret and rehearsed in the role, despite the fact that she was not the understudy. Perhaps they didn't think Alexandra, the understudy, was ready or the best choice to replace Joanna. I'm not sure, but if Joanna was out sick, I'm guessing Alexandra was going on in the role for her.

Julie
Since rumors are all we have to go on:

I also heard that after hiring Alexandra, the musical director discovered that she didn't have a very good ear for singing on pitch -- you can hear this very slightly when she sings on Turning Point -- so they didn't want her to go on as Annie.

Guy Smiley
Guy Smiley

December 13th, 2008, 1:26 pm #5

Bill Berloni states in his book that those associated with the company suspected the producers intentionally hired Joanna, but always planned on using Brittny. The theory being that the producers hoped the change of Annie's would create (positive) publicity just before the Bway run. Just like 1976. However, in 1976 NO ONE knew that Andrea wasn't the original Annie. And, in 1976, they weren't even at their out-of-town tryout. They were still at Goodspeed. In other words, the switch was so early in the run that there wasn't any publicity.

The whole Annie20th debacle was ridiculous and those involved have to live with their decisions.

But does anyone know what Lyndsay did after Annie? She played Tessie and became good friends with Joanna during the tour.

old fan
old fan

December 13th, 2008, 2:33 pm #6

...I remember someone posted here that she returned to school after outgrowing her part in Annie, and wanted to concentrated on her studies and sports. There was also a recent photo posted. You could go to the Search function here, and type in her name. (Claire, you could also do this for Joanna etc because there have been many posts about this) I think it was Chrissy who had recent news on several of the orphans from the 20th company plus tour.

NYCMom
NYCMom

December 13th, 2008, 2:59 pm #7

Julie
I still can't believe they thought Britney was a better choice for Annie than Joanna, but who knows what goes on in their heads?

old fan
old fan

December 13th, 2008, 3:04 pm #8

...I thought Alexandra was fine, too ! She went on to perform in Gypsy, among other things, and I believe she stayed with the company after Brittny took over (?) What has become of Brittny's singing career ? Wouldn't it be weird if she had tried out for American Idol too >>> Deja vu !

Natalie
Natalie

December 13th, 2008, 4:23 pm #9

I believe Alexandra did stay with the company. I saw a video of Hard Knock life with her in it and Brittny as Annie.

Another Stage Mom
Another Stage Mom

December 13th, 2008, 8:14 pm #10

I was watching the follow up to the Turning Point special on the 20th Anniversary production of Annie. The narrator said that when Joanna got bronchitis, they tried out some of the other orphans to find a new understudy, which was how they fell in love with Brittny. But I'm confused. Didn't Joanna already have an understudy named Alexandra? What happened to her? Did she leave the production for some reason? Did she go on for Joanna at all while Joanna was sick? Could somebody fill me in?
I've been reading about the "Turning Point" specials on this board, with much curiosity, but I've never actually seen them. Where can I find them? Are they posted somewhere? I'd really like to see both of them.