Dina
Dina

October 4th, 2008, 3:55 am #11

Not trying to be controversial here, but is the "p" word a bad word? My son has known the anatomically correct names for "private parts" since he was 3 or 4 years old. I never considered it a big deal--it's just a biological fact, and he's never made a big deal of it one way or the other. It's like "arm" or "bum" or any other part of the body. I figure if I make a word like that taboo (so to speak) then later on down the line, there would be so much more weight on the word and awkwardness around it. Just my two cents...don't mind me. Elisabeth Hasselbeck of "The View" once went on and on about how she tears pages out of her daughter's books if there are any words like that....Well, I guess to each their own.

Anyway, sorry...I don't mean to ruffle any feathers. I was just a bit surprised when I saw that this was a word you didn't want her to hear.

I agree though--the song "Thirteen" is a great one!

Dina

old fan
old fan

October 4th, 2008, 12:54 pm #12

...I taught my kids the appropriate anatomical terms, as well...as a urology/surgical nurse in a children's hospital, it was difficult sometimes to know what a child meant when they had been encouraged to use silly terms for their body parts, and potentially dangerous if we didn't know where they had a pain or a problem etc. It just makes sense. I guess it's up to the individual if hearing those words in lyrics will bother their child; personally I think they hear much stronger " language" at school any given day !

tonya
tonya

October 4th, 2008, 3:16 pm #13

Not trying to be controversial here, but is the "p" word a bad word? My son has known the anatomically correct names for "private parts" since he was 3 or 4 years old. I never considered it a big deal--it's just a biological fact, and he's never made a big deal of it one way or the other. It's like "arm" or "bum" or any other part of the body. I figure if I make a word like that taboo (so to speak) then later on down the line, there would be so much more weight on the word and awkwardness around it. Just my two cents...don't mind me. Elisabeth Hasselbeck of "The View" once went on and on about how she tears pages out of her daughter's books if there are any words like that....Well, I guess to each their own.

Anyway, sorry...I don't mean to ruffle any feathers. I was just a bit surprised when I saw that this was a word you didn't want her to hear.

I agree though--the song "Thirteen" is a great one!

Dina
I am totally not offended by this. I too am a peds nurse and agree with not having silly names for body parts. Our children have also been taught the anatomical names of body parts. I just think that there is a time and place to use those names. (If you are telling a doctor or your parents that your * is hurting, etc) In 'grown up' shows, yes. In a show aimed at tweens and young teens, no. I am not naive enough to think that they are not talking about body parts and using foul language, however, I just wouldn't encourage her to attend a show where those things are flaunted. Maybe when she is older- and wiser. Am I the only one who thinks this way?

old fan
old fan

October 4th, 2008, 3:40 pm #14

...that's totally the parents' call...there are really two issues, 1. that some parents do use the baby terms, and we all agree ( so far !) that is wrong and 2. Are "correct" or slang terms in a show appropriate for certain ages. I remember my mother thought the T & A song from a Chorus Line was shocking when I went on a school field trip to see it waaaay back. I don't know how old your daughter is, but it is certainly up to you to decide what shows she sees.

chefmell
chefmell

October 5th, 2008, 4:32 am #15

How old is your neice? Did you feel the content/jokes were appropriate for that age group? I have read some reviews that suggested that some of the content in the show was inappropriate, crude and off color, but then other people are raving about it and loved it!! I am trying to decide if I should take my 13 yr old dd, who is fairly sheltered. Any thoughts?
We just came back from the show and my 12-1/2 year old daughter and I loved it. We saw it with 3 other girls and their moms that we know, all from different parts of the Tri-State area, and they felt the same way. I thought the subject matters, in general, were appropriate for this age group although a couple of times we were wondering what the girls were thinking. Great storyline, great music, great jokes, and we felt overall a great show with an amazing cast. Yes, there were some words used that my dd would not say but is not surprised to hear it but it's not like the script is filled with it. I think it was used rather sparingly and didn't get offended by it. I too was concerned about bringing her after reading some of the posters comments on other boards but I'm so glad we saw it.

french_girl
french_girl

October 5th, 2008, 8:30 pm #16

Just wanted to let everyone know that the cast album of "13" is now available to download from iTunes. It sounds great.

Julie
i'm on i tune now but i can't find it! is it called something else than just thirteen ?

I'm curious to hear the songs with the words that "shocked" tonya (i think it was tonya).
if i understood right the * words you wrote, i don't think it's shocking, BUT i say it by translating it in french, maybe it's different in english...

i'm sure it's ok for at least 13 year olds end up (at least, maybe younger ones too but i can't say, i dunno). i mean, it's called 13 lol

a mom
a mom

October 5th, 2008, 10:12 pm #17

Do a search for the number "13" rather than the word "thirteen" & it should come up.

french_girl
french_girl

October 6th, 2008, 9:44 am #18

thanks, i'll try

Fantastic5
Fantastic5

October 6th, 2008, 5:38 pm #19

We just came back from the show and my 12-1/2 year old daughter and I loved it. We saw it with 3 other girls and their moms that we know, all from different parts of the Tri-State area, and they felt the same way. I thought the subject matters, in general, were appropriate for this age group although a couple of times we were wondering what the girls were thinking. Great storyline, great music, great jokes, and we felt overall a great show with an amazing cast. Yes, there were some words used that my dd would not say but is not surprised to hear it but it's not like the script is filled with it. I think it was used rather sparingly and didn't get offended by it. I too was concerned about bringing her after reading some of the posters comments on other boards but I'm so glad we saw it.
I appreciate your input... I am still debating, but it's nice to know that you weren't terribly offended and even enjoyed the show. I heard that they may have toned it down a bit from the initial opening shows... so who knows.

Do you know if they are offering rush or lottery tickets for this show? If you don't mind my asking did you pay full price for your tickets or do you know of any discounts?

evilmell
evilmell

October 6th, 2008, 6:37 pm #20

We got a discount by going to www.BroadwayOffers.com or by calling 212-947-8844 and using one of the following codes: "13FNF65" or "13TCX82". One of the moms went to the box office to pick up the tickets so we saved on those darn surchrages. Tickets were $66.50 and we were in the 3rd & 4th row mezzanine. It's a small theater so you could easily see their facial expressions from just about anywhere. I know a friend who saw it at Goodspeed and she said they had changed it (for the better) since then but I'm not sure if she meant contents or just that they tightened up the show a bit. Everyone has their different comfort levels with what their kids should or shouldn't be exposed to. I think I'm on the more cautious side (maybe I'm wrong). We really enjoyed it and think it's a great show! Enjoy it if you go.