Welcome to the Anime Banzai Cosplay Contest! Below is an explanation of what the contest will consist of and what rules you'll want to abide by in order to enter!
There are two categories that we will award; Craftsmanship and Performance.
Craftsmanship is judged based upon the skill with which you put your costume together. Depending on your level of experience and history of award, you will qualify for different categories within the Craftsmanship division. (At least 60% of your costume must be made, not purchased, to enter for craft in any category)
Performance is based entirely on stage presence and entertainment value. This is also divided into skill and experience based categories within the Performance Division.
Note: We encourage cosplayers to enter both categories. The award for "Best in Show" can only be won by a solo or group that has entered both.
Children's Expo: This category is open to all entrants 12 and under.(Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult at ALL TIMES.)
Children will be given 45 seconds for a walk-on by default. Children's Expo
awards will be given immediately following Children's Expo stage performance.
Beginner: This category is for those starting out. If you have won 2 or fewer awards in Performance or Craft, we recommend entering as a beginner.
Intermediate: This category is for those with a bit more experience. If you have won 3 or more awards in Performance or Craft, we recommend entering as Intermediate.
Master: This category is for those well-experienced in cosplay. If you have won 5 or more awards in Performance or Craft, we recommend entering as a Master.
**If exceptional work or performance is shown, Judges may bump a contestant or group to a higher skill level at their discretion.
1. Anime Banzai is a family-friendly convention. Performances must keep to a PG rating and cannot contain nudity, cursing, or sexually explicit
situations. Costumes must abide by Anime Banzai's rules regarding coverage. (Shirt and shoes must be worn at all times)
2. Weapons and props must abide by Anime Banzai's security rules regarding peace-bonding, and visibility.
3. Costume and prop size can be: (max size here)
4. Costumes may not have won awards in previous years at Anime Banzai. (We prefer they have not been entered at other contests as well, but do not require it.)
5. Walk-ons are 45 seconds. Skits are up to 3 minutes (less is ok too).
Please submit your audio as (format settings here). Audio must be received by (date here). Skits must submit a script with their audio including any stage directions. Skits that do not have spoken dialogue must still include stage directions or a brief description of actions on stage.
6. Maximum size for group entries (includes craftsmanship, walk-ons, or skit) is 8.
7. If you require additional assistance in getting on/off stage or your performance requires "stage ninjas," please let us know in advance.
8. We appreciate costumes that are of Japanese origin, such as anime, video games, manga, tokusatsu, or takarazuka, but we also appreciate originality, so we will accept fan-variations or cross-overs so long as adequate reference photos are provided for judging.
9. All entrants must attend a mandatory cosplay meeting. We will review stage procedures and collect and sign waivers (under 18 entrants must have waiver already signed or parent in attendance to sign on site). There will be one meeting Friday evening and another Saturday morning. You must attend at least one or your entry will be forfeit.
10. For your own safety, no running on stage, no jumping off of the stage, and no materials on stage that cannot be easily removed. This includes, but is not limited to: confetti, rose petals, glitter, water or other liquids, pyrotechnics or compressed air cannons. If you are unsure, please contact us in advance.
11. You must be registered to enter. The majority of sign-ups will be online, so please make sure you (and your group if applicable) are all registered! You will need your badge at the mandatory meeting!
12. Craftsmanship entrants must attend a Craftsmanship judging session. Times will be assigned after contest registration. Solo entries will be given 5 minutes to present their costume to judges. Groups will be given 10 minutes. Please plan your presentations accordingly.
13. If you are entering for Craftsmanship, be prepared with a PRINTED color reference of your cosplay. We suggest a minimum of 3 copies printed out as well as a few pages showing your work progress. A minimum of 6 progress photos is preferred.
(Points may be deducted from your overall score if no reference is provided. Judges may accept laptop or phone images for reference, but it not recommended.)
** If your cosplay has no color reference, such as a manga reference, black and white is acceptable.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Want to discuss cosplay? Want to discuss sewing techniques? Are you stumped on how to create something? This can all be discussed here.