Deck Building Variant

A place to discuss Ani-Mayhem combos and strategy!

Deck Building Variant

TeamCardBoard
Advanced Member
TeamCardBoard
Advanced Member

14 Jun 2016, 18:01 #1

I actually would like to come up with a group play deck building variant for this game. So this Thread is a place where we can pool ideas together and kinda get things going.

Bardoly
Advanced Member
Bardoly
Advanced Member

15 Jun 2016, 10:20 #2

Sounds great! I'll start thinking.

The only deck-building games which I have played are Marvel Legendary by Upper Deck and 2 Cryptozoic releases - both using their 'Cerberus engine', the DC Comics Deck-Building Game and the Lord of the Rings Deck-Building Game. My playgroup really enjoys playing them, and we play them just about every week. If you haven't tried either one of these, then I highly recommend them. These will likely be the inspiration for many of the ideas that I come up with. Cryptozoic's 'Cerberus engine' is easier to learn and play, but Legendary has a better game 'flavor'.

TeamCardBoard
Advanced Member
TeamCardBoard
Advanced Member

15 Jun 2016, 16:10 #3

I have played a decent number of deck building games but not those unfortunately.

I have played

Street Fighter
Naruto
Resident Evil
Runebound or something like that
and an anime one I don't remember the name of

TeamCardBoard
Advanced Member
TeamCardBoard
Advanced Member

15 Jun 2016, 16:12 #4

I think its safe to say the location and combat cards should have their own separate piles and not ever actually be a apart of the main deck. You also should probably be able to start with a certain number of characters as well that never enter the main deck.

Bardoly
Advanced Member
Bardoly
Advanced Member

15 Jun 2016, 16:20 #5

Street Fighter is by Cryptozoic, right? And it uses the 'Cerberus engine' right? Or something else?

My first thought is something maybe like a mixture of the DC Deck-Building Game regular sets and its Crisis sets. Where You would have a pile of combat Major Disasters (Super Villians) which would need to be defeated in turn, then with corresponding locations which much be entered first before being able to fight the Major Disasters. this requires one to recruit the skills necessary to enter the locations, but also have the necessary attack power to defeat the Major Disasters. Then you would possibly have Minor Disasters running through the 'city' like in Legendary which you would be able to fight and such.

TeamCardBoard
Advanced Member
TeamCardBoard
Advanced Member

15 Jun 2016, 18:23 #6

I think that it does lol

That sounds interesting. hmmmm

Bardoly
Advanced Member
Bardoly
Advanced Member

16 Jun 2016, 17:50 #7

Most deck-building games use 'starter' cards which are weaker to 'recruit' stronger characters and add them to your deck. Ani-Mayhem doesn't really have these, but perhaps someone could work some up.

Something like the following:

"Classsmate" or "Student" or "Furinkan High School Student" or "Female Classmate"
Artwork would be a female student. (I'm thinking from Ranma 1/2.)
0 - Attack
1 - Defense
1 - Move
1 - Charm
0 - Spirit
Student Skill
Text "You may have any number of these in your deck."
Female gender symbol

Another possible 'starter' card could be the following:

"Classmate" or "Schoolmate" or "Male Classmate"
Artwork would be a male student. (I'm thinking a shot of one of the male students in an aggressive or attack pose. Like when the boys attacked Akane in Ranma 1/2.)
1 - Attack
1 - Defense
1 - Move
0 - Charm
0 - Spirit
Student Skill
Text "You may have any number of these in your deck."
Male gender symbol

Alternatively, the 'starter cards' could have both 1 Attack AND 1 Charm.

My thought is that in a deck-building variant, Charm could represent 'Recruit' ability similar to Legendary's 'Recruit' ability and DC's 'Power' (when used to gain new cards or fight Super Villains). Therefore you will need 'starter' cards which have low Charm and have basically no other abilities. For example, You could start with 10 cards in your deck, drawing and playing 5 cards every turn. To start out, you would want 7-8 of the 'recruit' starter cards (or all 10) and 2-3 of the 'attack' starter cards. Characters available to 'recruit' would 'cost' the sum of their Attack and their Charm, so for example, Detective Mihoshi would 'cost' 5 'recruit' points (2 Attack + 3 Charm) to join one's team. Then, as the game progresses, a mechanic to filter out the weak 'starter cards' would be used. Maybe something like, "Once per turn, you may place a character card from your hand underneath your Haven. That character is now considered to be removed from the game.

I could keep on going, but I'd like to see a response to what I've said so far.

Also, what are the chances of someone being able to put together the proposed 'starter' cards? I'm VERY all-thumbs when it comes to designing/printing out stuff. The best that I can do is take a finished product to someone who can print it for me. :(

By the way, I did look through the game's character cards, and this type of game might could work without creating new cards, one would simply have to use the weakest characters available as their starting deck. Unfortunately, about the weakest cards there are have both 2 Attack and 2 Charm, which would require drawing/playing fewer cards each turn.

TeamCardBoard
Advanced Member
TeamCardBoard
Advanced Member

17 Jun 2016, 16:21 #8

This is very awesome!

I will have to work on some stuff this weekend when I have a day off work.

I can help create stuff but printing might be a bit harder.

There are sites that can do it though.

Bardoly
Advanced Member
Bardoly
Advanced Member

26 Jul 2016, 18:58 #9

I have been giving this some thought..., but slowly. Since my only experience with deck-building games is Marvel Legendary and Cryptozoic's DC-Comics Deck-Building Game, my mind is obviously travelling down those game systems' paths a bit. I still think that my above idea for 'starter' characters could work if we could but design them and print them out for a physical game. I suppose that proxies would work for now, though until rules get more firmed up.