What is your motivation for displaying at shows?

1:59 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #1

What is your motivation for displaying at shows?

This is a topic that arose following a conversation with one of the visitors at this years Ellesmere Model Show.

After carefully studying our display for several minutes he said 'I hope you don't mind me asking but what is your motivation for displaying at the show, as you don't seem to be trying to sell any of them?'
I have occasionaly been asked if we were selling the displayed models, especially at some of the more general shows we attend such as Ellesmere, TAS and Poynton, which tend to have a somewhat less modelling oriented visitor profile than the more common IPMS styled shows. 

I must admit it is a question I had not really thought about in the six years I have been attending shows with AMSIG.

My direct answer to his question was that, having spent time and effort making them, it was nice to display them to a wider audience and hopefully receive feedback (ideally positive, but I am always open to constructive criticism).  I held back from actually saying that it was probably more like a case of 'showing off'.

Thinking back to my very first show, at Bolton in 2013, I just put a couple of builds on the AMSIG table and spent the majority of the show looking round, but that may well have been more a factor of the display being somewhat hidden away in one of the school classrooms and not really having room for sitting around, as well as the whole show scene being a new experience for me.

Thinking about it on the 90+ min drive home, it does seem a strange thing to want to do - getting up at 'silly o'clock', driving often longish distances, lugging boxes of stuff into usually freezing cold venues (which  begs another question - why are most of the northern shows concentrated in the colder months of the year?), then spending 5-6 hours sitting on often hard chairs waiting for people to walk past the table, hoping that some of them might give the display at least a glance. Then you have to do the whole process in reverse, with the drive home often taking a lot longer because of traffic.  In addition there is then the task of checking and rectifying any breakages that may have occured ready for the next show.

There must be some form of inner reward for this. 

I guess some of us may use it as an excuse to go on a shopping spree, and in some cases a selling spree, but as I very rarely buy any kits (as Tom points out 'preserving my pension') that does not appear to be my main motivation.

There is of course the opportunity to actually interact with fellow enthusiasts we normally only meet online and to see what others are doing in the modelling world (as long as it is not yet another table full of what Jan refers to as 'serried ranks of Spitfires' (other marques are available...)

I think that over the years I have become more active in trying to generate some interaction with the visitors, possibly as my confidence in what I am showing has increased. - I guess that is just pointing towards the 'showing off' being the major factor.

Interested in what others think.

3:04 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #2

In my case initially mainly to show off a bit and see what others were doing. These days I see it more as a chance to meet up with good friends and relax socially. Modelling is often a pretty lonely hobby otherwise.

Colin 

3:18 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #3

ColinM wrote: In my case initially mainly to show off a bit and see what others were doing. These days I see it more as a chance to meet up with good friends and relax socially. Modelling is often a pretty lonely hobby otherwise.
Yup, that is pretty much me too, the best bit for me is sitting behind the tables and chatting to the other AMSIG members👍

4:16 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #4

spitfire1677 wrote:
ColinM wrote: In my case initially mainly to show off a bit and see what others were doing. These days I see it more as a chance to meet up with good friends and relax socially. Modelling is often a pretty lonely hobby otherwise.
Yup, that is pretty much me too, the best bit for me is sitting behind the tables and chatting to the other AMSIG members👍
You 2 have hit the nail on the head i have made some good friends through this hobby of ours. The same reason i hel set up a branch to have a chin wag look at what other are doing. At home i get its a tank thats nice

6:09 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #5

I have to agree before I joined AMSIG I thought it was a lonely hobby  but enjoyable . 
This all changed when I started attending show as you say at first I think it is a bit of showing off .
I think after a few shows I actually enjoyed showing my models but I enjoyed even more the friends I made  and the banter  we have .
I also feel it feels  like you are not alone in this sometimes lonely world as if you do not build models you family and friend just say usually yeah that looks ok not realising how much work we put  into some of our models  .
I also enjoy asking other models how they achieved certain things and that helps me get better with  my models. I would also like to think I can help other models as well with good tips .

7:01 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #6

Hi all,

Right, trying to put thoughts into words. If it wasn't for AMSIG and the model shows, I would probably have never gone out (Bit extreme sounding I know). The shows make me get out and about and travel the country, going to places I would never have seen. I am not the greatest of modellers, but thoroughly enjoy going to shows and displaying my builds. It's not a 'look at my models aren't they great' scenario, it's really the social scene that does it for me. Thanks to the shows, I have met some great friends, which Andy has said, I have a good laugh with. It has lead to me attending museums and airshows with members of the SIG. I quite often bump into other modellers at airshows. It has also contributed to me taking photo's as well.

I do enjoy the building, but I feel there are too many people who spend all their time in the modelling room building and on-line without realising there is an active community out there where you can actually meet fellow modellers. I find it easier to talk to other modellers about techniques and skills rathere than a forum post trying to describe it. There is also the opportunity to pick up tools and supplies that you would not normally see in your high street hobby shop.

For me, attending shows is what it's all about.

Mark.

6:51 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #7

Hi, I find things like this interesting to consider and reading this thread the other day set off a lot of thoughts in my head. As it was late I wrote them down to try and get them out, with the intention of forming proper sentences later. I think it might work as a just a collection of those thoughts grouped together a bit though.  The answers are a bit of "all of the above":
  • Andy made me
  • Quiet time away from family/life's other hassles
  • Sarcastic answers first (although there is an element of truth in both of them!)
  • I don't do social media and was reluctant to join forums.  I certainly never restarted modelling with the intention of going to shows.  I'm told you learn if you put yourself out of your comfort zone though.
  • Despite being initially terrified of what might happen I was made to feel very welcome and keen to back again.
  • For now I limit the shows I go within about an hour's drive because I do enough driving during the week.
  • Possibility of things getting broken in transit but if I didn't my models just go in boxes in the loft or under bed.
  • I am always reminded how much I still have to learn when I go.
  • I am desperate to learn and develop - "measure" this with the feedback and competitions? 
  • Get advice and ideas, hunt for bargains (though stopped buying kits this year), usually take a shopping list of tools/paints etc
  • Go away full of enthusiasm and ready to build more.
  • I get a little buzz when someone takes an interest.
  • I imagined I'd spend all day chatting with people about their builds or their memories, though based on the few shows I've been too this often isn't the case.
I think a big part of it is that I go with the hope that I inspire someone to go and build an Airfix kit.

9:38 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #8

Our shows are rather different to yours.
Thus my answers are;
1. to get in free
2. to get a free tea/lunch/tea
3. um, I'll think of somat else

9:10 AM - Yesterday #9

Ah Fred does 365 shows a year ! 😉