Tamiya/Airfix 1/48 Mosquito PR32

July 24th, 2016, 5:57 pm #1

As some of you will remember from last year I researched and made a model of a PR32 that crashed with the loss of both crew at Westonzoyland in 1945 whilst undergoing trials of a four bladed propeller. The model was donated to Robbert Turner, a local historian, who gives talks and organises events in the Somerset area.

We managed to track down a photo of the original aircraft.

(This was taken before the aircraft was converted to four bladed propellers.)

I used the Airfix PRXVI kit which was a horrible marriage of old and new tooling but it came out OK in the end.

I was contacted recently by Barrie Douglas, son of the civilian technical officer who died in the crash who asked if I would make another model for him.

Rather than test my patience with the Airfix kit alone I've decided to use a Tamiya kit as the base and use parts from the Airfix kit as needed.

The base kit is this one:

PRXVI parts will be taken from this one:

The main external difference between the early Mosquito and the later marques is the use of longer two stage Merlin engines.

Tamiya above, Airfix below.

Unusually the Tamiya instruction sheet starts with the wings so I dived in, the arrow indicates where the main cut will be.

After much thought and some nervous cutting these parts were surplus

After much dry fitting and fettling...

When the glue has set there will be a little tidying up to do but I'm quite pleased with the result so far. Other wing starts tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

Colin

July 24th, 2016, 6:08 pm #2

Super start Colin, nowt like a bit of kit bashing :thumb:

July 24th, 2016, 6:42 pm #3

At this rate, you will end up building more of these than De Havilland!

July 24th, 2016, 10:39 pm #4

Isn't that the scary thing, only five PR32s were ever built.

Colin

July 25th, 2016, 3:35 pm #5

Good bit of work there Colin the seams are very good .there is not much filler required there

July 25th, 2016, 8:47 pm #6

Thanks folks, I have a good feeling about this one.

Colin

July 26th, 2016, 9:28 pm #7

Got a bit more done today, second engine finished.

Next external difference is that the wing tips were extended on the PR32. Paragon made a conversion set but now difficult to find. I'll try to make something from plasticard starting tomorrow.

Colin

July 27th, 2016, 9:09 pm #8

Looking good, you might want to look around at the shows on traders stand they have a lot of odds and sods, you might find a set there
Glen

September 2nd, 2016, 3:11 pm #9

Where does the time go...

I have had a couple of goes extending the wingtips. On the PR32 the overall wingspan was 59 feet, four feet 10 inches wider than the standard types. In 1/48 scale each wing needs to grow 0.6 inches.

I'm happy with my second attempt made from a plasticard sandwich.

Compared to the standard wingtips

Still needs some final shaping, also the wingtip lights are different on the PR32, I need to scratch those.

The cockpit goes together well. There isn't a huge amount of detail but not much will be seen. Nice that Tamiya use spars to fix the wings to.

Some tidying up will be needed before it goes into the fuselage. Tamiya provide decals for the seat belts but they don't look convincing, I'll make some from tape.

The bomb bay houses additional fuel tanks and two of the cameras, little will be seen though.

The undercarriage is a marriage of Tamiya parts and Airfix wheels to get the correct wheel hubs. The fit into the wings is very precise.

The overall fit of the Tamiya parts is first class. Now I've caught up on some other projects the build should move on quickly.

More very soon.

Colin

September 2nd, 2016, 3:41 pm #10

That looks very nice .the wing tips looks very convincing