Fred's Restorations

Joined: 4:27 PM - Apr 30, 2015

7:04 PM - Aug 16, 2018 #1

I think I'll try segregating all the kits I've got from Pat
Whether Airfix or other make I think I'll just keep them here, away from my regular Red Box and Non-Red Box Benches. I'll use those threads for non-rescue kits only
Here I'll maybe add notes about things done to get some of these kits build up as they should be.

Like most on here I have a pretty full number of spares boxes.
Within the last lot of models from Pat were many kit boxes with just bits. I asked for and received a load of these to add to my spares.
It instantly paid off

a. within the Dennis Fire Engine parts was a built up front axle with wheels. I reckon I can adapt this to fit a B-type Bus which I have built but needs half a front axle and a front wheel. Airfix couldn't supply (spare) parts for the bus so its been carefully boxed up for several years
b. I got the parts of a Sunderland. Included are four props with spinners. Three of these can go to one of the SM-79 I got which had one full prop and one broken one. The full prop can go to the other SM-79 which had only two props. The Sunderland and SM-79 actually used the same engines and props

Looking through the kits I got most, which I asked for, have no canopies or clear parts
For some, like the SM-79, I've ordered canopies from Hannants. For others I have spares, but for some others, if I have a canopy I can (usually) copy it using my vacuum former. Its about time that thing earned its cost

But before I really start into the latest of the Lazarus Kits I have some from the last donation to complete
I just found a Heller Gladiator which I started and left unfinished. I don't know why. I thought I'd finished it

This is how I left it some months ago

Time to get it done!

And I've just started on a BAe Hawk.
Photo later maybe
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 4:27 PM - Apr 30, 2015

3:33 AM - Aug 19, 2018 #2

Progress on the Hawk
Wing fences added

Flap actuators added, one large one made from plastic card


This Hawk will get finished in one of two schemes from this Club Kit.
It'll be for the AMSIG tables at SMW.

I've decided this one is going to be the black one at the top.
Its being built wheels up and it'll have a bit of clear rod/sprue shoved up its exhaust pipe to support it
To support the rod the normal exhaust was ignored and a length of plastic tube was installed


End of play on Saturday night/ early Sunday morning

After the fillers on the seams are sanded smooth I can add the ventral fins and tail planes. I've also cut off the two 'ear' intakes behind the cockpit; for there I have some resin replacements

Another bonus from the spares I got recently.
Two Matchbox Hawk control columns and a good clean Airfix Hawk canopy set. All to be used on this one.
This Hawk came to me as badly part built. The canopy parts had glue smears on their lower edges, they cleaned up partially ok, but this clean set is better
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 4:27 PM - Apr 30, 2015

3:45 AM - Aug 20, 2018 #3

All the sticky-out bits added;

The grey was just a bit put on to check that area after the intakes were added and some fillers on the seam




Right after these photos the masked canopy parts were added. Its now ready (I think) for the black paint

And progress on the Gladiator. More paint, those rigging lines glued tight

This is a Heller kit. Heller have moulded some rigging points with holes. Most useful, but they are about 0.75mm dia., much too large for the line I use for rigging.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 4:27 PM - Apr 30, 2015

6:33 AM - Aug 24, 2018 #4

The Hawk went to the spray box on Monday evening. Plenty of coats of black on it until I ended up with a nice glossy black.

From the recent Collectakit donation I got some Airfix stands.
I hacked one about; cutting the support down and fitting a length of clear sprue. I had to add some lead into it (thats the metallic shape you can see, two of those) and then filled it with modelling plaster
This is it before painting;

Matt black undercoat next, but I think a gold or bronze colour rather than a black. The part of the sprue up from where its attached to the base will not be painted
What do youse think?

This is how it'll be used; the sprue supporting the Hawk by going up into the exhaust pipe. It won't be permanently attached, just a sliding fit, thus it can be  used with other models
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 4:27 PM - Apr 30, 2015

5:59 PM - Sep 30, 2018 #5

The Black Hawk is done;
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 4:27 PM - Apr 30, 2015

3:36 PM - Oct 07, 2018 #6

Work on the Gladiator continues. A bit more rigging and the lower wings counter shading paint job finished


I really must get this finished
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 11:55 AM - Mar 29, 2015

7:41 PM - Oct 07, 2018 #7

Looking good.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 9:47 PM - Apr 18, 2015

10:37 PM - Oct 07, 2018 #8

Great looking Hawk and the Gladiator is progressing well. 
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 4:27 PM - Apr 30, 2015

12:59 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #9

Rigging done, small sticky out bits are on, just a couple of wee bits to paint. This is ready for decals now. After the decals I'll do the aerial wire [maybe]

Quote
Like
Share