AMSIG 2015 Report

February 14th, 2016, 6:16 pm #1

AMSIG Report 2015

A successful and busy year for AMSIG with a smooth transition to the new website, new events attended and an increase in member attendees to these events.

Highlights of the year include winning best display at The Shropshire Scale Model Show at RAF Cosford and members displaying their modelling prowess in Airfix Model World magazine. Congratulations to all members who entered the show competitions. There was a lot of silverware obtained this year.

AMSIG had originally intended to display at 22 events in 2015, but with some scheduling conflicts and a show cancellation (RAF Hendon), this was eventually reduced to a paltry 20!

Four new events were slotted into the crowded calendar, Hull Model Expo, The North Staffordshire Model Show and an invited charity event – North Shropshire Model Show. To broaden the reach of AMSIG towards non-IPMS and other exhibitions, we attended the two-day TAS Festival at Manchester Airport with 15,000 attendees over the two days. AMSIG have been invited back for 2016 by the organisers.

Now that the RAF Hendon Model show is no longer running, AMSIG’s largest display show is at the two day Model Show held in Stockport every Dec. Ninety Six sq foot and expanding. We work closely with the organisers and for 2016 AMSIG will be provided with space to undertake modelling demonstrations.

AMSIG had to cancel its attendance at South Cheshire Militaire, Staffordshire Moorlands, Brampton and Abingdon. In addition AMSIG declined the invitations to the Torbay, Plymouth, Bristol and Colne Valley (2 day) events. The organisers at RAF Hendon cancelled the model show of which we were regular attendees.

For 2016 the South Cheshire Militaire and Staffordshire Moorlands are back on AMSIG’s show calendar. AMSIG are looking into attending new events throughout 2016 so keep a look out for news in the 2016 show thread.

Membership numbers are 31 IPMS members (a net gain of 2 from 2014), four overseas members and nine non-IPMS members. Bar the overseas members, these forty members all attend one or more AMSIG shows a year. Twenty attend more than five AMSIG shows a year, which results in a varied display show to show.

With the migration to the new website we lost a few members but gained a few new additions too. To compliment the show attendees there are another twelve regular contributors on the website taking the total membership to 56, a net increase of 9 from 2014.

A big thanks to all members online and off line for a memorable 2015.

February 14th, 2016, 8:33 pm #2

Thank you for a very comprehensive report Tom. I would like to add my thanks to all of our contributors who helped make 2015 a very enjoyable modelling year.

Colin

February 15th, 2016, 11:01 am #3

I would just like to say thank you to Tom and Colin for the amsig website set up . I have liked the way we all contribute to a hobby that we enjoy . It is good to see new people are joining and attending shows . The new venue,s are good and it gives people and in site to the hobby that otherwise that might not see and hopefully take it up . I think everybody should get a big thank you as we all have our own likes in modelling and that in itself makes way for a great table display at many shows that draws a lot of remarks from the public long may it continue . I have attended 5 shows last year with Coventry being a new one which I enjoyed and will be returning this year .
Andy

February 20th, 2016, 4:01 am #4

Good report Tom.
I'd like to add my thanks to Tom and Colin for running the SIG and organising our attendance at shows and to Andy for co-ordinating the SMW display. I look forward to catching up with you all at one show or another throughout 2016. I'll be at Coventry to help Andy see if there's any civil aircraft on display :D .

February 20th, 2016, 4:42 am #5

What are they James