You guys want to hear a joke?

You guys want to hear a joke?

May 31st, 2017, 8:38 pm #1

Called Williams peep sights today inquiring about their Twilight Peep apertures. Well the receptionist me connects to their expert. I asked the expert what is the thread size for their twilight peep & he tells me he does not know!!!
Anyone knows the thread size for their peeps?

June 1st, 2017, 10:26 am #2

Williams, Lyman, Redfield, and other classic US sight eyepieces use a 7/32 X 40 thread.

German sights standardized on a 9.5 X 1.0 MM eyepiece thread by the 1950's. This facilitated an interesting aftermarket in accessories that will fit many different guns.

A really nifty thing to have is the inexpensive adapter bushing (sold by Champions Choice and others) which allows Euro disks to fit US sights. Here's one in action--an old HW 50 rifle, with a Williams sight sporting a Gehmann adjustable iris:

(As an aside...the fabled British Parker-Hale sights are also 7/32 X 40, though the steeper UK-standard thread angle makes the disk shaft slightly larger in diameter. Thus an odd situation where US disks fit P-H sights, but usually not the other way around. The exception is Lyman sights, which will usually take P-H disks.)

June 1st, 2017, 2:05 pm #3

The peep sights sometimes seen on the old 101 (1949 only)/107/108/109/110/113/114/118 rifles are also 7/32 X 40 thread.

June 21st, 2017, 8:26 pm #4

Williams, Lyman, Redfield, and other classic US sight eyepieces use a 7/32 X 40 thread.

German sights standardized on a 9.5 X 1.0 MM eyepiece thread by the 1950's. This facilitated an interesting aftermarket in accessories that will fit many different guns.

A really nifty thing to have is the inexpensive adapter bushing (sold by Champions Choice and others) which allows Euro disks to fit US sights. Here's one in action--an old HW 50 rifle, with a Williams sight sporting a Gehmann adjustable iris:

(As an aside...the fabled British Parker-Hale sights are also 7/32 X 40, though the steeper UK-standard thread angle makes the disk shaft slightly larger in diameter. Thus an odd situation where US disks fit P-H sights, but usually not the other way around. The exception is Lyman sights, which will usually take P-H disks.)
Very informative Mike. Thanks for the extra effort/info. n/t

June 21st, 2017, 11:09 pm #5

Gehmann also makes a bushing (PH999) to adapt larger European discs to the Williams sight. They use a M.40x10 fine thread and it works okay but could be a little tighter. Personally I prefer the Champions Choice bushing as it is a tighter fit and doesn't break loose when twisting my adjustable iris.

jz2

June 29th, 2017, 5:01 am #6

I have FWB and HW diopter sights. I just bought a Gehmann iris and it fits the HW sight, but not any of the three FWB's (one from 300 and 2 from 601). Does anyone know why the difference?

thanks in advance

June 29th, 2017, 1:14 pm #7

Gehmann also makes a bushing (PH999) to adapt larger European discs to the Williams sight. They use a M.40x10 fine thread and it works okay but could be a little tighter. Personally I prefer the Champions Choice bushing as it is a tighter fit and doesn't break loose when twisting my adjustable iris.
What do you mean by M.40x10 fine thread? In the metric thread system the first number is the diameter and the second number is the pitch of the thread(distance from the top of a thread to the next top of a thread).

June 29th, 2017, 10:34 pm #8

I have FWB and HW diopter sights. I just bought a Gehmann iris and it fits the HW sight, but not any of the three FWB's (one from 300 and 2 from 601). Does anyone know why the difference?

thanks in advance
I've seen FWB sights be just slightly stubborn, i.e. a little harder to start the thread, or seemingly having a slight taper--the iris shaft will get snug before it's all the way home. But the basic fit should definitely be there.

I have Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, Walther, and Weihrauch sights of a variety of vintages, and my Gehmann goodies fit all of them.

June 30th, 2017, 3:29 am #9

What do you mean by M.40x10 fine thread? In the metric thread system the first number is the diameter and the second number is the pitch of the thread(distance from the top of a thread to the next top of a thread).
Yup, looks a little weird to me too but that's how they marked it.

jz2

June 30th, 2017, 5:09 am #10

I've seen FWB sights be just slightly stubborn, i.e. a little harder to start the thread, or seemingly having a slight taper--the iris shaft will get snug before it's all the way home. But the basic fit should definitely be there.

I have Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, Walther, and Weihrauch sights of a variety of vintages, and my Gehmann goodies fit all of them.
really tight in the FWB, only threads in half way. the threads seems visibly different. I have a thread gauge and will check when I get a moment. so right now I a walther sight with the gehmann iris on my FWB 601. works just fine.