Working Apache rifle

September 9th, 2018, 5:20 am #1

I was wondering if anybody has a good working Apache rifle. I just purchased a few Airguns from a Guy who repairs them, and he said Apaches make good Wall Hangers and I should avoid them if I want a shooter. Its one Postwar gun I don't have, but maybe i should cross off my list. Anybody actually have a rifle with a Texan labeled buttplate of simco labeled receiver?

September 9th, 2018, 7:36 am #2

“Oldair” who posts here, had one for sale at his table at the Kalamazoo Airgun show last month, if I’m not mistaken?  It looked in great shape and he said it worked.  I was tempted but had my eyes on a Webley Mark 3 and brought that home.  I have bought 4 great vintage airguns from him now, awesome dealer.  I can dig up his email If he doesn’t chime in.  Don’t know about your specific desired model and I could be wrong these models can be confusing?

September 9th, 2018, 8:53 am #3

From what I understand, get a SIMCO marked gun, if you're hoping for a good gun.   

September 9th, 2018, 11:27 am #4

Bigwave, I have 2 working apache rifles, 1 is a Simco marked gun, the other unmarked. Both have the "walnut" stocks. 1 Has the short bolt through the pistol grip, the other a long bolt through entire length of stock. The buttplate is unmarked on both. I also have 2 of the pistols in working condition. The zinc frame and the aluminum frame. there is a big difference in weight. Flint, Don did have an Apache at Kalamazoo. 

September 10th, 2018, 5:09 pm #5

The Apache I have available is unmarked, single shot, with barrel insert and some kind of pale wood that is not walnut.  After installing a new pump cup it seems to work fine.  I've rebuilt these a few times; they're rather powerful and the big caliber makes quite a "thwack" - you can also use the 6mm plastic airsoft ammo but watch out for bouncing balls!  Don't know why someone would relegate them to wall-hanger status?

Don R.

September 10th, 2018, 7:07 pm #6

Daw1963

Can you take some pictures of the Simco marked gun, I don't have any pics of one in my files. I'd appreciate especially a picture of the Simco marked logo. Does it have a Texan buttplate? Are your guns single shot - load from the top? Do they both have the accessory barrel? Again I would love to see photos especially the Simco.

September 10th, 2018, 7:15 pm #7

Bigwave8 wrote: Daw1963

Can you take some pictures of the Simco marked gun, I don't have any pics of one in my files. I'd appreciate especially a picture of the Simco marked logo. Does it have a Texan buttplate? Are your guns single shot - load from the top? Do they both have the accessory barrel? Again I would love to see photos especially the Simco.
I'll send you a PM

September 12th, 2018, 1:25 am #8

I have a few of these. Here's the Simco...... it's a single shot, set up for a 22 ball
I bought it done. Whomever rebuilt this did a good job; it's a strong shooter. 
IMG_0757.JPG
IMG_0758.JPG
IMG_1172.JPG

September 12th, 2018, 1:37 am #9

I've got two of the "regular" Apache Texans. Both have the barrel inserts. One of them I basically did as a stock rebuild. The other has a few nuances internally and a Perotti-style teflon pump head...... it's about 100 fps better than stock (and a royal workout to pump beyond 5).
The modded one is in the photo.
IMG_0847.JPG
IMG_1009.JPG

September 12th, 2018, 1:55 am #10

Larry , The Simco I have has the threaded barrel insert. Does yours ? And is it marked on the left side of receiver ?
I need to figure out how to put pics on here.        Dave