Plainsman Walnut Stock

September 14th, 2018, 3:55 am #1

All this talk about the Plainsman walnut stock and the answer about stocks were right in front of me. It's been long known that the CO2 Plainsman Rifles had Walnut stocks. What was floating around on the internet was that only the CO2 Rifles had walnut stocks and the Pneumatic had the crappy cheap stocks.Surveying actual examples proved that some very late pneumatics had walnut stocks too. Then Larry Posted pictures of his very early Plainsman example with the Bolt with arm and knurled hammer knob and it had a Walnut stock too! So we determined from the examples that walnut stocks, were available at the very beginning and very end of production. Well I received the three new Plainsmans I bought sight unseen. I was very pleasantly surprise to find out all of them had Walnut Stocks. Two were very early like Larry's, and the last was a late CO2 gun. The pneumatics had the Walnut numbering scheme matching the forearm to the rear stock on both.(numbers only, no letters) So I look at the early Healthways 1949 Plainsman ad which is notable for the Bolt with handle, and there it was in black and white "Kiln dried genuine Walnut demountable Stock"
1949 Early Plainsman.jpg

Then I looked at the later Plainsman ad with the later knob style bolt and there it was "demountable Hardwood stock", also known as crappy cheap stock.

1950 Plainsman .jpg

I'll be taking pictures later of the 3 plainsmans and 3 Kesslers and 2 plainsman Pistol and post them. All nice looking and according to the seller, shooting. 

September 14th, 2018, 5:15 am #2

Dave,
           If you got a messed up, crack  or ???? stock I am willing to buy it from you. The pneumatic stock looks like a Kessler one?
Your stock should not only made of walnut.

September 14th, 2018, 3:56 pm #3

I held them up side-by-side but didn't compare them with a micrometer..... the pneumatic stocks (Kessler and Challenger) 
aren't the same.

September 15th, 2018, 3:48 pm #4

Larry
I I think I have enough to come up with a pretty clear idea about the Plainsman timeline. I'll be post it soon once I have the pictures in place. 

Now regarding the Walnut stocked early Plainsman. I have seven examples where I have stock numbers.
From the orientation and placement of the numbering of the Walnut Stock early Plainsman I have examined , your stock number is # 68.
Plainsmans don't have serial numbers but the numbering of the early Plainsman stocks may give us an idea of how many Early Walnut stocked Plainsmans were built before the switchover to the lower grade hardwood stocks. Right now the lowest number is 6 and the highest number is 324. I don't think many Walnut stocked Pneumatic plainsmans were built before the switch to the lower quality hardwood stocks. Until now, we hadn't even confirmed Walnut stock Pneumatics existed. The general belief prior to this is all pneumatics had the lower quality hardwood stocks. Maybe other collectors with walnut stock plainsman may see this post and send in their stock numbers to help quantify this. 

Dave Trull