Plainsman Shot Shells Eagle Rock

September 16th, 2018, 10:33 am #1

The one thing that shared the Challenger Arms Corp, Eagle Rock, and Healthways logo is the shotgun ammo. We have Eagle Rock boxes and Healthway boxes of ammo. Up on the bay, a pretty nice, mostly full, box of Plainsman .28 cal ammo. This one is Challenger Arms, Eagle Rock. 

It's documented that Challenger Arms came out with their shotgun in 1949 which pretty much dictates that these, Eagle Rock, shells were made circa 1949.

It's also well documented that a Healthways version of this ammo box can be found. This tests the question of who came first: Eagle Rock or Healthways? After all, if Eagle Rock came after Healthways, how could Eagle Rock be producing shot shells in 1949 before the Healthways' takeover?

Here's the listing. Not an unreasonable price. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Vintage-P ... 2807128616

Plainsman eagle rock shot shells 1.jpg

Plainsman eagle rock shot shells 2.jpg

September 16th, 2018, 7:39 pm #2

Can you post a picture of a Healthways box of Plainsman Airshot shells. You have said it is well documented. I have never found any other Airshot shells listed other than the ones in the current ad. I looked at the Healthways flyer and the flyer photograph of the Airshot shells are the same as the one you have just posted above. Healthways was marketing the Airshot shells in the Challenger Arms Corp box in 1949. You can even discern the Challenger Arm Corp across the bottom of the box.  I like to see what a Healthways box looks like to confirm its existence for my article. Its entirely possible Healthways may have put a version out with their name on it.  I'm always ready to learn something new.

Need I remind you that Healthways tradename "Plainsman" is for their line of Airguns and .28 cal ammo. If it has Plainsman printed on it, its part of their product lineup.

Healthways flyer shot shells..jpg
Airshot shells marketed by Heathways mid 1949
Airshot shells marketed by Heathways mid 1949

September 16th, 2018, 11:17 pm #3

I might have a Healthways version buried in a box somewhere. It's well known to longtime collectors. That you aren't aware of it, well....

September 17th, 2018, 12:02 am #4

Photographs of my Plainsman shot collection. The Healthways Plainsman shot shell box has an address of 1360 E. 16th St., Los Angeles 21, Calif.

September 17th, 2018, 12:05 am #5

Great ammo collection! Had never seen that 500 count .177 ball bag before. 

google map image of 1360 E 16th today. Looks like a rough part of town.

http://goo.gl/maps/iR8i3JY7vBH2

September 17th, 2018, 12:20 am #6

Appreciate the comment.  Though it is hard to discern, the small 100 shot bag also has the Eagle Rock (L.A. 41)  address.  Not pictured is another red .22 cal. ball shot tube with the Eagle Rock 41 address instead of Los Angeles.  I am not aware of any other Plainsman ammunition containers.

September 17th, 2018, 1:12 am #7

Yes, I have the little 100 shot bag in my collection. I know it's there because it's so small that it's saved amongst the paper collection. Cute little thing. 

I can't recall anything else. A dream find might be a .177 Plainsman ball ammo tube.

For pellets: the Healthways flyer shows Marksman Precision Lead pellets are the pellets that go with the Healthways/Plainsman rifles. 

September 17th, 2018, 2:36 am #8

usaf25 wrote:    
Photographs of my Plainsman shot collection. The Healthways Plainsman shot shell box has an address of 1360 E. 16th St., Los Angeles 21, Calif.
Wow. That’s a very nice collection you have.

Thanks for sharing!

September 17th, 2018, 7:06 pm #9

Is there any discernible difference between the actual Air Shot shells between the healthways labeled Air shotshell and the Plainsman only labeled Air shot shells? Is the only difference the packaging? I noticed in the Healthway Catalog page that they recommended Marksman Precision Lead Pellets for the rifles and pistols. I assume that means there were no Plainsman labeled pellets offered at the time. In Later ads, I see Plainsman Ball shot recommended for the guns. Does anyone know if there are any Plainsman pellets ever produced for the guns with the Heathways Plainsman or just Plainsman name on them? 

September 17th, 2018, 8:34 pm #10

That I could not tell you, all my boxes are unopened.