Healthways MX-175

Healthways MX-175

July 7th, 2018, 2:52 am #1

My experience has been that the Healthways MX-175 rifle is extremely rare; even though the lead coated .22 cal ball ammo shows up on a fairly regular basis, the gun just never shows up. Here's a notable example with box and appears to be in unused condition; looking at the other auction pics, the gun is spotless. A rare gun in rare condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Healthways-Plai ... 2360388765

s-l1600d.jpg

July 7th, 2018, 1:47 pm #2

Fortunately for the next owner, the MX-175 shoots BB's while the rarer MC-22 is the one taking the lead-coated .22 roundball (which seems to me is pretty hard to find).
It's interesting that Plainsman pistols are everywhere but the rifles are scarce  - maybe they were overpriced relative to competing products of the day?

July 7th, 2018, 7:56 pm #3

Thanks for the correction!

These things are so darn scarce that it's hard to keep track of what's what.  And, now that you point it out, can't off hand recall seeing a MC-22 come up for sale, at least not in modern times.

There's probably some specific reason for the rifles to be so scarce and the pistols are all over. My first guess would be that there's a design error and the guns quickly fail in the field. Imagine if the first 1000 guns go out and the only ones that aren't quickly returned to the factory are ones that never left the box like the one in the auction. The first step that the manufacturer will do is shut down production (why make more when all that will happen is that they're returned)  A good example of this with Crosman is the model 451. The 451 was so bad that Crosman Marketing refused to sell it because they knew they would only end up in the repair shop. 

If it was something else, that would likely take a good historical understanding of the company but I sort of doubt that much is coming that way. I have all but nothing on Healthways. Only one or two guys bother to collect these guns and from what I've seen there has been zero interest shown in the history of the Healthways.

July 7th, 2018, 10:42 pm #4

I don't know how many were made or returned, if the number on the bottom in front of trigger is a serial# they made a lot of them. The MC22 Plainsman I have is # 0301342 .      Dave

July 7th, 2018, 11:33 pm #5

I just dug out a forgotten MC-22 I picked up a while back.  Though the wood is beat up, it holds gas and functions but of course I don't have any of the ammo.  Serial # is 92352...maybe they ran a continuous set of numbers for all pistols and rifles.
By the way, the actual ebay listing is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Healthways-Pla ... SwVXZbP~SI

July 8th, 2018, 12:42 am #6

oldair wrote: I just dug out a forgotten MC-22 I picked up a while back.  Though the wood is beat up, it holds gas and functions but of course I don't have any of the ammo.  Serial # is 92352...maybe they ran a continuous set of numbers for all pistols and rifles.
By the way, the actual ebay listing is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Healthways-Pla ... SwVXZbP~SI
Oops!  OP fixed.  Thanks!

The ammo shows up as a collectable. I've had several tubes over the years and may even had some buried in a box somewhere. Any serious BB tube collector is going to have one in their collection. 

July 10th, 2018, 10:17 pm #7

oldair wrote: Fortunately for the next owner, the MX-175 shoots BB's while the rarer MC-22 is the one taking the lead-coated .22 roundball (which seems to me is pretty hard to find).
It's interesting that Plainsman pistols are everywhere but the rifles are scarce  - maybe they were overpriced relative to competing products of the day?
Hey Don:

Of course we all know rarity does not directly correlate to value. I'm sure you've seen the very clean MC-22 rifle in perfect working order on my table for the last couple of shows for the princely sum of $40...including a tube of Healthways copper plated .22 lead balls from my nearly full case of tubes... nobody really cares about these orphans!

July 10th, 2018, 10:48 pm #8

well the bidding on the 175 is at what I would call absurdly high nonsense but it's not my money

and a question will the gamo round ball .22 ammo work in the mc-22 and would f or ttt buckshot work also a little big

July 10th, 2018, 11:23 pm #9

marflow wrote: well the bidding on the 175 is at what I would call absurdly high nonsense but it's not my money

and a question will the gamo round ball .22 ammo work in the mc-22 and would f or ttt buckshot work also a little big
Yeah, the Blue book pegs this, with box and papers, as around $75. But, of course, the Blue Book is little more than guesswork. Interesting to see what an actual auction on one of these brings. 

I have no idea if lead ball will work. My guess is no. I suspect that there is something magnetic in the gun to hold the shot in place that would make the lead balls not work properly, but, since I have never touched one of these guns.......   Perhaps somebody who has can chime in.

July 11th, 2018, 2:09 pm #10

Dean, you have it right - the reason the ammo is a lead-coated steel ball, is that the .22 mechanism works the same as their BB versions, with magnetic feed.  Undoubtedly another reason they didn't sell many is the availability and cost of this special stuff compared to BB's.  I'd say Larry's note above is a snapshot of desirability among the regular airgun gang.  Clearly ebay often brings out wacky behavior - should it be used as a standard for "value" of an item?