Goodenow Plainsman shotguns CO2 and Pneumatic meet.... at last.

September 13th, 2018, 8:39 am #1

One of the most fascinating guns from LarryH's collection of rare birds is the walnut stocked "non Eagle Rock" shotgun. 

Quoting Larry, "... Finally, note the rear sight. All Eagle Rock marked shotguns that I have had in the past have the small molded rear sight into the top of the receiver. The walnut variation has a blade rear sight attached via two threaded holes. I recall seeing this same detail on someone else's walnut shotgun."

This exact same detail is also seen on my Goodenow CO2 shotgun.

LarryH's pic (edited your pic to close in on the sight a bit, hope you don't mind)
PlainsmanPumpShotguns LarryH.jpg

rarest of the rare 0009.jpg
The sight detail has always been a question on the Goodenow Plainsman CO2 shotgun, since, until now, it was unique. Now, clearly the walnut stocked pneumatic version has the same sight arrangement. The bolt knobs are different but since the CO2 shotgun has the "regular" bolt knob, this looks like a production variation. 

As much as my CO2 shotgun has always been a "surprise" to Plainsman collectors, your walnut stocked pneumatic version, equipped identical to the CO2 shotgun, comes as a BIG surprise. Just about the last Plainsman model I ever expected to see. 

September 13th, 2018, 1:07 pm #2

The rear sight on the "Fletcher special" is probably from a pistol, and the barrel and bolt from a pneumatic Shotgun. You've proved nothing. The early guns also used walnut. The early guns had a bolt with arm and knurled hammer knobs. The Knurled hammer knob is also found on early pistols. You can't explain it away as a variation. The pistols don't have walnut stocks, so you can't use that as a determiner of when the knurl hammer knob changed to the 2 ring knob. Look at the early heathway catalog sheet. It shows a Plainsman with a armed bolt and "V" notched rear sight. Larry's gun confirmed it and larry's walnut stocked gun was not built by Goodenow.

September 13th, 2018, 1:38 pm #3

You're suggesting that Healthways came before Eagle Rock. That's utter nonsense. 

The long bolt handle is seen on the shotgun in the late 1949 Healthways' flyer.  The early Plainsman, Eagle Rock, flyer, which everyone, except apparently you, knows predates the Healthways era, shows the knurled bolt. 

Again, you're out of your league. You simply do not know what you are talking about.  This last post proves the point beyond any doubt.