Crosman 102 with a scope attached.

April 2nd, 2018, 6:51 am #11

yominlye wrote:
DTFletcher wrote: Getting a better look at the mounts -in particular the front mount- my guess is that these are Weaver mounts that have been modified to fit the 102. 

Curious in how the rear mount is attached to the gun. There are no visible screws.  
I`m not sure myself how the back mount is fixed, I can remove the from mount via a single small screw, but the back mount is solid, I`ve just had it under a strong light and by no means can I see how it`s been fixed, it`s certainly a 1 of a kind, the way the front mount has been shaped to perfectly wrap around the magazine feed tube says to me that this is not a home made attempt at fitting the scope.  I`ve seen other early Crosman 101`s and 102`s with modern type mounts and scopes fitted, but nothing like this, especially with a scope that would date roughly in line with the gun.  I`m hoping I have a unique rare gun as it is with the scope fitted, to my knowledge I may have the only 1 in the UK like this.

I have a few people that have asked me to sell, but I have no idea of it`s value, how do you put a value on something that may be a 1 off gun. 
It's hard to impossible to make any call -on DIY or a factory made mount specific to the 102 (factory= Weaver likely, Crosman unlikely, or some other mount manufacturer, or small outfit) - without dismounting it from the gun and taking a very close look at how the mount has been finished.   However, I'm not certain that it makes all that much difference in value, only historical interest really. It would be very cool if this was a factory produced mount and some Crosman-crazy collector might pay more for it.

As it stands, the scope modification might add 25 - 50% value, based on the added value of a nice little scope on a nice 102. If the mount could be traced down to a factory (via circa 1949 Weaver catalog?) produced part, maybe 100% added value on top of the value of a 102.  What these types of guns bring in the UK, I have no idea.

June 16th, 2018, 3:55 pm #12

DTFletcher wrote:
yominlye wrote:
DTFletcher wrote: Getting a better look at the mounts -in particular the front mount- my guess is that these are Weaver mounts that have been modified to fit the 102. 

Curious in how the rear mount is attached to the gun. There are no visible screws.  
I`m not sure myself how the back mount is fixed, I can remove the from mount via a single small screw, but the back mount is solid, I`ve just had it under a strong light and by no means can I see how it`s been fixed, it`s certainly a 1 of a kind, the way the front mount has been shaped to perfectly wrap around the magazine feed tube says to me that this is not a home made attempt at fitting the scope.  I`ve seen other early Crosman 101`s and 102`s with modern type mounts and scopes fitted, but nothing like this, especially with a scope that would date roughly in line with the gun.  I`m hoping I have a unique rare gun as it is with the scope fitted, to my knowledge I may have the only 1 in the UK like this.

I have a few people that have asked me to sell, but I have no idea of it`s value, how do you put a value on something that may be a 1 off gun. 
It's hard to impossible to make any call -on DIY or a factory made mount specific to the 102 (factory= Weaver likely, Crosman unlikely, or some other mount manufacturer, or small outfit) - without dismounting it from the gun and taking a very close look at how the mount has been finished.   However, I'm not certain that it makes all that much difference in value, only historical interest really. It would be very cool if this was a factory produced mount and some Crosman-crazy collector might pay more for it.

As it stands, the scope modification might add 25 - 50% value, based on the added value of a nice little scope on a nice 102. If the mount could be traced down to a factory (via circa 1949 Weaver catalog?) produced part, maybe 100% added value on top of the value of a 102.  What these types of guns bring in the UK, I have no idea.
Hi Harry its Andy the new owner of your 102 it's now fully operational, shoots very well 6 pumps at around 670 fps. I had to make a new piston and service everything else.
i'm getting reasonable 2 inch groups at 80 feet.
The rear mount unscrews with scope attached on a single thread poking up from the breech that holds the barrel in place it last tensions a spring loaded ball that holds the scope secure, the mounts are very professionally made and look factory.
I am in a dilemma to leave it as is or fully restore the exterior.
I'll poste pics if I do.
Andy Robinson

June 16th, 2018, 4:01 pm #13

I see no reason to refinish this gun. It is in good condition for its type. Refinishing will only go to reduce the value of a very nice vintage airgun.  It would be a shame.

June 16th, 2018, 4:07 pm #14

Pic of my restored 101
4E7A0F51-1976-4473-9957-5B263CB0A577.jpeg
Pic of my restored 101

June 16th, 2018, 4:12 pm #15

Lovely stock.   Thing is, with Crosman collectors, a refinished gun like this is typically considered the same as if it was in poor condition. Refinishing removes all collectable value with these guns. But, that doesn't mean not to refinish if that's what you like. These are not rare guns, for the most part, so, it is perfectly okay to do with them as you wish. 

June 16th, 2018, 4:23 pm #16

DTFletcher wrote:
yominlye wrote: