Characteristics of the earliest Town & Country Junior

September 2nd, 2018, 12:22 am #1

I just received my EBay buy of a early Crosman Town and Country Junior. It seems to me to be one of the earliest made 1949? but I say that not knowing that many of these. I did own a later model with embossed receiver with “Crosman” and 110 model number, and serial number.  As you can see below, here is what I see with this example, that I did not see in my later example.

1. The breech is unmarked, the only markings are on the back plug.  
2. Does not mention model #110 or serial#.
3. Bolt is straight rather than curved.
4. Maple stock..

Early 110

Later 110 

September 2nd, 2018, 6:32 am #2

45flint
Cool Variant! As you can see in the picture, the Model 109 below has the straight bolt arm as well. I don't think it adds any more value to the gun, 
but I think its cool and I seriously thought about buying the 109 pictured, just for the back plug logo. DT probably has a better idea about rarity and value of any Crosman. 
I have a 109 and 110 since they fall in the postwar period I collect. Still looking for a 107 :) and a few others to fill in holes in my collection on airguns of that period.

Heres a picture of the rear plug for a Town and Country Junior model 109
Crosman 109 no name receiver  (8).jpg

September 2nd, 2018, 8:52 am #3

Could very well be that the later curved bolt is rarer cause they obviously changed that part at some point and then went to the 120. Yes I doubt that either one is more valuable but I like the idea of having the earlier gun.  I assume the .177 is rarer just like the 107, but I prefer shooting .22s.  To me the massive 108 deserves to be in 22, just seems right, rarity makes no difference to me.

September 2nd, 2018, 3:15 pm #4

45flint wrote: I just received my EBay buy of a early Crosman Town and Country Junior. It seems to me to be one of the earliest made 1949? but I say that not knowing that many of these. I did own a later model with embossed receiver with “Crosman” and 110 model number, and serial number.  As you can see below, here is what I see with this example, that I did not see in my later example.

1. The breech is unmarked, the only markings are on the back plug.  
2. Does not mention model #110 or serial#.
3. Bolt is straight rather than curved.
4. Maple stock..

Early 110

Later 110 

What is the breech design?  As you know, I have a bunch of these (still), including a brand new one.
I always thought the bolt design with straight breech seal was the earlier variant. And I've never seen one with a straight bolt HANDLE.
Two of mine are straight breech seal and two have the bolts with the common Crosman "ball" seal. All have curved bolt handles.

September 2nd, 2018, 3:40 pm #5

I checked, and both my Town and Country Juniors have the curved bolt and the logo on the receiver and serial numbers on the pump tube. My 110 is in working order, but the 109 needs seals. No rush resealing the 109 since I prefer shooting the .22 cal guns. I think we are definitely in the majority as the .177 cal were poor sellers during that period and are much scarcer to find across all the makes who manufactured them during the period. I guess you could call me a collector shooter, since I enjoy both, but I invariably buy .177 for collecting and for shooting I use the .22cal or .20 cal for my Dans. I started out with Sheridans as a teenager, and bought a 1956 Blue streak 4 years ago after not touching an Air rifle since my teenage years. Researching the Blue streak led to my interest in the Supergrade and then to postwar airguns in general. My addiction had begun. I currently have about 20 Rifles 18 falling in the period between 1947 to 1957. The exception are the 2 1960s sheridan blue streaks I bought for my boys to plink around.  

September 2nd, 2018, 4:38 pm #6

Interesting, below is a picture of my breech.  I’m not sure what you mean by a “ball” seal?  I’m trying to remember the seal on my first one I sold, did it have a “O” ring or did I dream that?

612A9911-D953-48FD-903A-1D8E3872DDB7.jpeg

September 2nd, 2018, 4:44 pm #7

That is interesting. I now think the straight bolt handle was early and the running change was to go "bent."
Here is an early gun (no serial number) on the right, next to a later gun on the left. Notice the two styles of bolt seals.
IMG_1308.JPG

September 2nd, 2018, 5:01 pm #8

Larry91730 wrote: That is interesting. I now think the straight bolt handle was early and the running change was to go "bent."
Here is an early gun (no serial number) on the right, next to a later gun on the left. Notice the two styles of bolt seals.
That is interesting, didn’t the one you sold me have a O ring seal?  I’m sure I would have remembered that ball?  Did they go through 3 different breech seals in that short time?  Well it is cool that I did fulfill my quest to have the early gun to match my 1949 108. That straight seal matches my 108 not that anyone cares but me! Lol

September 2nd, 2018, 5:17 pm #9

I checked my two TC jrs and both have the bent arm bolt with the ball bolt seal. Interestingly mine both have v notched sights instead of the peep sights in the comparison photo by Larry. Whats the norm on rear sights for the TC jr ? By the way my 108 has a standard bolt and not a ball seal. DT could elaborate, but I think they quit making the TC senior first and continued the TC juniors for a bit and added improvements that didn't carry over to the senior which they obviously stopped developing. 

September 2nd, 2018, 5:48 pm #10

Bigwave8 wrote: I checked my two TC jrs and both have the bent arm bolt with the ball bolt seal. Interestingly mine both have v notched sights instead of the peep sights in the comparison photo by Larry. Whats the norm on rear sights for the TC jr ? By the way my 108 has a standard bolt and not a ball seal
Larry added the peep they were never standard