Benjamin Montgomery Ward question

Benjamin Montgomery Ward question

March 26th, 2016, 1:12 am #1

Were the smooth pumping armed Benjamins sold by Montgomery Ward stamped as "Hawthorne" models like their Crosman counterparts? Did they get the "M312" treatment like an "M140"?

March 26th, 2016, 4:59 am #2

Jon, I've heard for years now that the smooth ones were Montgomery Wards, but I have never seen any proof. I have several but they are all marked Benjamin Franklin and have 310 317 312 but no "M". Wish some one with an old Monkey Ward catalog could look it up in the "toy" section next to the glass eye display. Bud

April 2nd, 2016, 5:00 pm #3

Were the smooth pumping armed Benjamins sold by Montgomery Ward stamped as "Hawthorne" models like their Crosman counterparts? Did they get the "M312" treatment like an "M140"?
Some time back on AVA, somebody (Larry Hannusch?) posted pics of their Montgomery Wards version of the 312 that included the box with Montgomery Wards label (proving it was a MW gun) however, other than that label, the gun was a completely standard Benjamin 312 with nothing unusual other than the smooth pump handle. So, Benjamin never marked their Montgomery Wards guns any different from their standard models.

I suspect that the only reason for the smooth handle was so that Benjamin could identify MW guns, returned to the factory for repair, for warranty purposes.

To understand the differences between how Benjamin and Crosman did business, you need to know that Benjamin procured almost all of their parts from outside suppliers while Crosman produced almost all of their parts in-house. So, what was easy for Crosman to do - such as marking guns for special customers- was something near impossible for Benjamin to do.