BB's in the Rem 26

BB's in the Rem 26

March 25th, 2016, 4:45 am #1

Last time I posted on the Remington 26 I had a problem with the BB's rolling out the back of the shot tube.

After measuring them 'Crosman Copperheads' were only .170 cal and being slightly undersized caused them to fall out.

Here in Australia all that's available are Crosman and Daisy.

So I ordered what I've read are perfectly spherical Hornady BB's from our good friends in the states.

They are .171 cal and that extra .001 makes all the difference, they fit in the shot tube and no longer roll out before inserting the tube into the barrel as did the Crosmans, also the Crosmans have a flat on each of them, no wonder they shoot all over the place.

I reckon you can even see the difference, also the Hornady's are perfectly smooth.

There are a few more shots on the Crosman target but still that's as good as it gets, the Hornady's on the Sheridan target are a much tighter group and that's with an old vintage gun, I'd say my scoped Daisy's would also shoot as good as pellets using these.
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, who's bringing the chips?

March 25th, 2016, 9:19 am #2

Interesting. Looks like Crosman has changed up their manufacturing for BBs. They used to be perfect without any flats. Wouldn't be surprised if they are now sourced from China.

March 26th, 2016, 5:03 am #3

Last time I posted on the Remington 26 I had a problem with the BB's rolling out the back of the shot tube.

After measuring them 'Crosman Copperheads' were only .170 cal and being slightly undersized caused them to fall out.

So I ordered what I've read are perfectly spherical Hornady BB's from our good friends in the states.

They are .171 cal and that extra .001 makes all the difference, they fit in the shot tube and no longer roll out before inserting the tube into the barrel as did the Crosmans, also the Crosmans have a flat on each of them, no wonder they shoot all over the place.

I reckon you can even see the difference, also the Hornady's are perfectly smooth.

There are a few more shots on the Crosman target but still that's as good as it gets, the Hornady's on the Sheridan target are a much tighter group and that's with an old vintage gun, I'd say my scoped Daisy's would also shoot as good as pellets using these.
Most Daisy Precision Max bb's I measured at .172 to .173. Maybe 2 out of 10 were .1715.

Regards,

Fred

March 26th, 2016, 5:30 am #4

Must admit I haven't had them in ages, will compare them with the Hornady's and try them with one of my scoped BB guns. I'll post the results here just for fun, not that I take it too seriously as they're just smooth bore BB shooters but will enjoy doing it just the same.
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, who's bringing the chips?

March 26th, 2016, 5:47 am #5

i've repaired and tested thru the years, i have never found one that the crosmans shot as well as the daisys. the crosmans are a thousandth or two smaller than the daisys. a BB that fits the bore tighter shoots better.