Ampell Lit

Ampell Lit

July 7th, 2018, 9:02 pm #1

Went looking to see if I had any other Healtways lit and came across the Ampell lit which was not in the correct location so I'm pretty sure it's never been posted. 
Of course, this was the company that Rudy Merz went to work for after he was forced out at Crosman. The key design concept was simplicity of design for production. This can be seen in how very few parts used.  Unfortunately, the Plink-N-Whiz had a great name it was not a great gun. The rifle appears to be very rare. I can't recall coming across one.

Ampell-001-Edit.jpg Ampell-004-Edit.jpg Ampell-003-Edit.jpg Ampell-002-Edit.jpg

July 7th, 2018, 10:29 pm #2

Love the lever action being a pump up up, wonder why no one else ever made them.
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, who's bringing the chips?

July 9th, 2018, 6:54 am #3

I would like to know the specs on the rifle like muzzle velocity (fps).

July 9th, 2018, 8:14 pm #4

RebelDawg wrote: I would like to know the specs on the rifle like muzzle velocity (fps).
Personally, no idea. I don't think a lot were produced.  Never seen any examples here in the NW. If they've been offered for sale, I've missed it, but, not having any interest in Ampell, beyond the lit, that's not surprising.  

From the 8th ed of the Blue Book of Airguns:  BB Magnum M44 lead or steel BB, 48-shot gravity feed magazine, 350+ FPS (there you go), swinging forearm cocks, charges, and loads gun, wood stock, styled like Winchester M-1894 but without cocking lever, combination cocking knob/manual safety -- cannot be reset to safe after moving to fire position, 38 in. OAL, 4.5 lbs.

The safety issue is likely why these are rare guns. From a legal standpoint, the no reset issue is impossible to defend. With some research, I suspect that this can be investigated and articles can be found in industry magazines. Beeman was always studious about legal issues surrounding airguns, as he well should have been, so, if there was ever a legal issue with any particular airgun model, he knew about it. I suspect that is the case here.

July 9th, 2018, 8:18 pm #5

Thanks for the info DT. Like you I have never seen the rifle (or even any literature on one) but I have seen a few of the pistols.

July 10th, 2018, 10:10 pm #6

The Ampell BB Magnum is not a pump up pneumatic, but uses a spring piston powerplant. It cocks on the reverse (return) stroke of the forearm, and has to be one of the easiest cocking BB guns of all time. I seem to recall that the forearm locks in place after cocking the action to prevent double loading of BB's. This feature would also prevent the accidental/intentional double stroking of the spring-loaded forearm which could possibly knock the kid's teeth out!
AmpellBBMagnum3.JPG
AmpellBBMagnum2.JPG
AmpellBBMagnum1.JPG

July 10th, 2018, 10:37 pm #7

Thanks leh22
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, who's bringing the chips?

July 11th, 2018, 2:21 am #8

Looking over the spec sheet, it mentions a "delayed action valve" which means it has, what Crosman calls (if memory serves,) a pop-off valve. These were used in the M-1, V-350, 3500 as a means to increase air pressure. The valve holds back the early increase in air pressure from the spring piston movement, it then opens (pops off) when the air pressure reaches a certain level. Prone to malfunction due to dirt, from my limited experience with the Crosman models. 

July 11th, 2018, 7:22 am #9

You are right DT. Had several different ones of the Crosman V350, 3500, and even a Sears model. They shoot great (and hard) but you do have to keep that pop off valve clean or when it sticks due to grit or grime it shoots weaker like an ordinary BB gun.

July 11th, 2018, 4:37 pm #10

RebelDawg wrote: You are right DT. Had several different ones of the Crosman V350, 3500, and even a Sears model. They shoot great (and hard) but you do have to keep that pop off valve clean or when it sticks due to grit or grime it shoots weaker like an ordinary BB gun.
Somewhere in my records there's a story of a father who got his son an M-1 for xmas and soon the son was hitting everything he shot at, unlike those Daisy things, and wrote to Crosman about it. At some point, they traveled to Bloomington, since there's a picture of the son and father, with M-1 of course, I believe at the factory. So, yes, these were by all reports remarkable BB guns, especially compared to the trash Daisy was putting out.  But, that was the purpose of PY Hahn, he had set his sights on Daisy and was determined to conquer it. That's where the precision Crosman BBs, the 747 barrel of BBs, and the excellent BB gun designs all came from. Didn't work, but, that's besides the point.