Obsessed With Dragons

Talk about non-Ambition ambitions. Or anything really.

Obsessed With Dragons

Luth'rai
Downpour
Luth'rai
Downpour

May 26th, 2006, 7:30 am #1

Okay, so I pretend that I'm only passionate about dragons, rather than obsessed. But then, who am I kidding? Yeah, I'm obsessed. I'm obsessed to the point where when I graduate, my degree might as well say it's a Bachelor's of Dragonology as opposed to Biology. (And if the Registrar liked me a little more it would, drat it!)

But, back to the point. As dragons feature very prominently in Ambition, I thought (and was encouraged) to give y'all the opportunity for discussion, chat, questions, ramblingness regarding them. They don't even have to be Orisian dragons, which is fortunate since only 1 has made an appearance thus far.

I admit that I have no insightful or thought provoking opening statement or question to present to you - and I acknowledge the risk that this thread may go nowhere that is entailed with that.

However, what I do present to you is an open floor that happens to be all dragony-shaped. I'll happily answer questions and talk about Orisian dragons, random dragons, my dragon species that will eventually get me graduated, etc., so on and so forth.

Here there be Dragons. <^.-.^>
"I know when life gives you lemons you're supposed to make lemonade; but you can only drink so much lemonade before you develop severe gastro-intestinal disorders."

dlc
Shower
dlc
Shower

May 26th, 2006, 6:43 pm #2

Re; your .sig--no one said you have to drink the lemonade! ;)
"So the Universe isn't quite as you thought it was.
You'd better rearrange your beliefs then.
Because you certainly can't rearrange the Universe."
--from Nightfall by Asimov/Silverberg

Luth'rai
Downpour
Luth'rai
Downpour

May 26th, 2006, 7:52 pm #3

Lemonade drinkage is not mandatory, this is very true. I suppose you could set up a stand and sell it, instead; but then you can only introduce so much lemonade into a community before it is then saturated with said liquid. ...and then you get things other than severe gastro-intestinal disorders. :P
....or you could just have a life-long supply of lemonade-filled water balloons.
Obviously the disorders are really only mentioned to encourage you to get inventive with lemonade, hence heightening the creative facet of respective culture while broadening personal horizons. Y-es. :D
"I know when life gives you lemons you're supposed to make lemonade; but you can only drink so much lemonade before you develop severe gastro-intestinal disorders."

Sly Eagle
Squall

May 26th, 2006, 8:31 pm #4

Excellent! In the next town, we will be giving lemonade to dragons, instead of maidens. There's a community working together and getting inventive! Who is with me?
If you are fluent in four or more languages, you are multilingual.
If you are fluent in three, you are trilingual.
If you are fluent in two, you are bilingual.
If you speak only one, you're an American.

mjkj
Downpour
mjkj
Downpour

May 26th, 2006, 9:43 pm #5

Sly Eagle @ May 26 2006, 08:31 PM wrote:Excellent! In the next town, we will be giving lemonade to dragons, instead of maidens. There's a community working together and getting inventive! Who is with me?

:ph43r: Yeah, that is a great idea :lol: I am with you :D - feed the dragons lemonade and tell them if they do not behave they have to drink more :P and subsequently have to die of severe gastro-intestinal disorders :lol: :hehehe:

mjkj

:( Not more images allowed in signature :(

Vriaeliss
Drizzle

May 26th, 2006, 10:44 pm #6

So, something I've been meaning to ask you about, to see if you knew anything about it:

What is the difference between Leviathan and Dragon? Or do you not know much about the creature attached to the name Levaithan?

Luth'rai
Downpour
Luth'rai
Downpour

May 27th, 2006, 2:53 am #7

Is this a specific "Dragon" you're talking about? As I see it capitalized and wonder.

If you're asking about what the difference is between Leviathan and a "general, non-specific" dragon, then the only answer that I have is that there isn't any, as all my books that talk about the Leviathan classify it as a dragon.
(if it's that, then it leads into the <sarcastic>wonderful</sarcastic> question of: "What makes a dragon?")

All I know about Leviathan is that it's said to have been created on the fifth day of Creation, is enormous, has 300+ incandescent eyes, nostrils emit steam, impenetrable scales, lots and lots of teeth, and it left pretty shinies on the surface of the water behind it. And that there was originally a pair of them, but they were too awesome and could potentially demolish things like, oh... the world if there was a race of them. So one got destroyed. Poor Leviathan. I don't know if Leviathan is male or female.... My book says it's traditionally considered male, but there's something called the "Book of Enoch" in the Apocrypha (<--I have no idea what they're talking about there... do you?) that says Leviathan is female and has a terrestrial counterpart called Behemoth.
Anyhow, the surviving Leviathan, whatever it's gender, got immortality in exchange for it's partner.... which downright sucks, in my opinion. Oh, and something about God "disporting" with it for the last 3 hours every day - which will continue up 'til the Day of Judgement when it'll be slain by the Archangel Gabriel. Then the righteous will eat it, get housed in a tent made from some of it's skin, and the rest of it will get spread over the walls of Jerusalem.

Is that the Leviathan you're talking about? As that's about all that I've picked up from my books.

Oh, and as for the movement for giving dragons lemonade:

I'm behind you guys all the way!
....emphasis on behind... Preferably at a far distance but from where I can still see. :P

Vriaeliss
Drizzle

May 28th, 2006, 8:06 pm #8

Yeah, sounds about right :P That's waaay more that I knew.

I'll have to look into things a bit more I guess. I'm mostly curious because a bible-scholar/dinosaur-freak type guy once said something like "Why aren't dinosaur's mentioned in the bible, if dinos and man ever co-existed? Well, dinosaur is an 18th/19th century term, even the translators of the King James bible wouldn't have known to use the word anywhere." Yeah, something like that. He's of the opinion that dinosaurs and man co-existed (and may still co-exist). It fits well with the Young Earth theory, since dinos and man would have come into existence within a week of each other, and thus would have had to co-exist. There's a bunch of neat evidence that can point to this being correct. I think it's a cool idea personally :P I wish I knew where some of his sources were to point anyone interested... I sadly don't even remember his name x_x

Aarien
Shower
Aarien
Shower

May 29th, 2006, 1:45 pm #9

Vriaeliss @ May 28 2006, 08:06 PM wrote: He's of the opinion that dinosaurs and man co-existed (and may still co-exist).

Uhm, I don't know how much my school preparation is worth, but I think dinosaurs and men never co-existed:
If I remember well, dinosaurs extinguished something like 65 millions of years ago, at the end of the Mesozoic era; while the first human being, the Australopithecus, appeared on the Earth more or less 2 millions of years ago, between the end of Cainozoic era and the beginning of Neozoic era... so, uhm... I don't think that a co-existance in chronologically possible... ^^°
But I could be worng, I'm not a Paleonthology teacher! ;)

Ah, as regards the lemonade-to-dragons thing... you can count on me, guys!!! :D

"I can resist everything except temptation."
(O. Wilde)

"The wise will be like an archer: if he misses his target, he'll search the reason in himself."
(Confucius)

"A sword is like a lover: treat her with respect and she'll never betray you."
(Darak D'uskryn)

Vriaeliss
Drizzle

May 29th, 2006, 4:08 pm #10

Aarien @ May 29 2006, 01:45 PM wrote: If I remember well, dinosaurs extinguished something like 65 millions of years ago, at the end of the Mesozoic era; while the first human being, the Australopithecus, appeared on the Earth more or less 2 millions of years ago, between the end of Cainozoic era and the beginning of Neozoic era... so, uhm... I don't think that a co-existance in chronologically possible... ^^°

Yeah... that's if you buy into the evolutionary viewpoint, which personally I don't. For me, the geological evidences I've seen support the biblical account. The biological evidences also support it as well. But ultimately we all have the same evidence available, the difference comes in the personal interpretations and conclusions, which inevitably will result from one's presuppositions.

Example: I can see the Grand Canyon and say, "Oh, that looks like something a massive world-wide flood could do!" and another could say "look at what millions and millions of years or erosion did!" Obviously, one of us has to be wrong, but it doesn't make either of us better :P

But aside, my curiousity springs from my presuppositions, in order to seek the - what's now - against the grain idea of what dinos mean to this world as it were less than 10,000 years old. I'm well aware of the greatly publisized, and mostly accepted without serious consideration, idea of the big band/billions of years of evolution standpoint. You see it everywhere. But where'd people get the idea of dragons in the first place, if not, initially and at it core at least, from visual experience? (Luth'rai could probably answer that to some degree :P)

So yeah, Luth'rai, do you know where the general origin of dragons exists? What's the earliest encounter with dragon-like imagery/ideas that you've read about?