newrc
Basic Contributor
newrc
Basic Contributor

7:35 PM - Apr 26, 2010 #41

InstructorMax @ Apr 26 2010, 09:37 AM wrote: It has always been my objective to get more people involved in the club website. I am glad to see that our club has gorwn over the years, as well as the number of people who are helping out- the success of the last swap meet is a good example of the rise in members participating.

So I guess now is a good time to ask for volunteers to assist me in managing the web site.

Some great ideas being discussed here. I am an old dog but I still can learn some new tricks.

Rod?
Liam?
WParsons?

I'd be happy to help get a system like this in place.
Liam Elliott

wparsons
Basic Contributor
wparsons
Basic Contributor

1:38 AM - Apr 30, 2010 #42

I'm most definitely in!

I'll see if there's any tools to backup the forums from invisionfree, and migrate them to either phpbb or vbulletin(not free, I think its about $500 for a license).

Once everything is up and running, it would be MUCH simpler to keep up to date and maintain.

Is there any club meetings coming up, or a convenient time to get together somewhere? Even a day at the field or something if that's easiest?

newrc
Basic Contributor
newrc
Basic Contributor

12:52 PM - Apr 30, 2010 #43

wparsons @ Apr 29 2010, 08:38 PM wrote: I'm most definitely in!

I'll see if there's any tools to backup the forums from invisionfree, and migrate them to either phpbb or vbulletin(not free, I think its about $500 for a license).

Once everything is up and running, it would be MUCH simpler to keep up to date and maintain.

Is there any club meetings coming up, or a convenient time to get together somewhere? Even a day at the field or something if that's easiest?

I think smf(google simple machines forum) would be another good choice. Theres a landslide of plugins and themes available for it, it's free and i think it may be open source(not sure though). There are also plugins for wordpress that can integrate the admin section of the forums so it's viewable in the wordpress admin panel.

phpbb is also a great choice as i think it's free too. I can't really say anything about it though as i've never really used it that much.

I just think that no matter what script is decided upon, it's going to be a good thing that it's hosted by the club. That way if invisionfree has problems or goes down, the club doesn't suffer any damages, plus it could be backed up very easily.

:D
Liam Elliott

wparsons
Basic Contributor
wparsons
Basic Contributor

12:44 AM - May 01, 2010 #44

There's an integration tool to do the same with wordpress and phpbb!

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=544065

I think the forum choice should probably go to whichever is the easiest to migrate data to from the current one (if any).

*edit* - there's an existing tool to migrate from InvisionFree to phpbb3, the only snag is that apparently InvisionFree charges ~$50 for a database backup :angry: oh, and passwords would have to be reset for every member. All posts, user accounts, etc would be kept :tu: