Got the cowl finished on Friday. It was a mix of foam and plastic parts which resulted in a tough hatch that can probably withstand quite a few dings and crashes. The exhaust pipes are a nice touch and are made of thin strips of printed plastic with carbon strips glued to the back to make them rigid.
Magnets were glued into the cowl cover to mate with the magnets already installed in the cowl opening in the fuselage.
A look at the cowl on the fuselage, a perfect fit!
I decided to take an image with the SE5A next to the now discontinued Flyzone Albatros for comparison.
Both models are around the same size, but the Microaces planes have a flying weight of 1.3oz versus the Flyzone bipes which are around 1.1oz and as you can see, the wings of teh SE5 produce a lot more lift area than the alby, not to mention it looks a lot more scale.
Here is a look of the entire powerplant that will go into these planes excluding the rubber prop adapter still somewhere in the mail.
I took the finished fuselage and the electronics to be included and put them on the scale and sure enough, I hit exactly 1.3oz as the manual recommended, and this is with the slightly larger 160mah turnigy battery too!