InstructorMax
Master Contributor
InstructorMax
Master Contributor
Joined: 8:04 PM - Oct 13, 2006

3:21 PM - Nov 25, 2016 #11

Looking great, Avi.

Love the picture of your workshop/hangar :) :)
RC Test Pilot; Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor
Quote
Like
Share

Avi Persaud
Advanced Contributor
Avi Persaud
Advanced Contributor
Joined: 8:58 PM - Oct 13, 2006

9:35 PM - Nov 30, 2016 #12

Thanks Max :)

Been busy this week but I managed to get the upper wing installed and I installed the tail rigging and tightened all the rigging in the wings.

It wasn't a fun process but patience and a lot of test fitting eventually got it to sit just right so the wings weren't warped and were exactly parallel to each other!

This is probably a step where it pays to know a bit about what you are doing as it didn't go together like LEGOs as the rest of the plane did. If there was a warp in the wing or the upper and lower wing attitudes were not parallel it would cause porpoising, oscillations or all kinds of nasty flight characteristics that would make it a challenge or even unflyable...

I made the rigging tight by adding a spot of CA glue at every hole where it passed through plastic, again making sure the tension didn't cause the wings to warp.

Once the glue all dries I will cut the remaining leads from the rigging and then move on to building the scale wheels.

Progress:



Quote
Like
Share

bweaver
Newbie
bweaver
Newbie
Joined: 12:24 PM - Oct 20, 2013

2:28 PM - Dec 04, 2016 #13

That looks great. Thanks for the step by step photos and guidance. The tips will be helpful.
Bruce
Quote
Like
Share

Avi Persaud
Advanced Contributor
Avi Persaud
Advanced Contributor
Joined: 8:58 PM - Oct 13, 2006

4:40 PM - Dec 08, 2016 #14

Only had a few hours this week to build so I finished the wheels and I'm currently working on the cowl.

The motor and gearbox combo I had in spares turns to be that of the parkzone cub/champ and not the p-51, which is larger and recommended for these planes. Therefore had to order a couple from Pinnacle, as well as some rubber prop adapters for 4mm bore props to fit on 1.5mm shafts (the eflite gearbox), so we may have to wait a little till I get everything to do the electronics.

Anyway here are the wheel components and before and after shots... the wheels add a bit of weight but I'm hoping this weight combined with the wing dihedral creates a stable parachute/pendulum effect that keeps the plane stable and well tracked in the air, similar to a trainer's layout.

The finished wheels attach to both ends of a 1mm carbon axle which free-rotatess in small holes in the plastic landing gear assembly.







Hoping the cowl is done by end of the week.
Quote
Like
Share

Avi Persaud
Advanced Contributor
Avi Persaud
Advanced Contributor
Joined: 8:58 PM - Oct 13, 2006

5:46 PM - Dec 12, 2016 #15

Got the cowl finished on Friday. It was a mix of foam and plastic parts which resulted in a tough hatch that can probably withstand quite a few dings and crashes. The exhaust pipes are a nice touch and are made of thin strips of printed plastic with carbon strips glued to the back to make them rigid.

Magnets were glued into the cowl cover to mate with the magnets already installed in the cowl opening in the fuselage.



A look at the cowl on the fuselage, a perfect fit!



I decided to take an image with the SE5A next to the now discontinued Flyzone Albatros for comparison.

Both models are around the same size, but the Microaces planes have a flying weight of 1.3oz versus the Flyzone bipes which are around 1.1oz and as you can see, the wings of teh SE5 produce a lot more lift area than the alby, not to mention it looks a lot more scale.



Here is a look of the entire powerplant that will go into these planes excluding the rubber prop adapter still somewhere in the mail.



I took the finished fuselage and the electronics to be included and put them on the scale and sure enough, I hit exactly 1.3oz as the manual recommended, and this is with the slightly larger 160mah turnigy battery too!

Quote
Like
Share

Avi Persaud
Advanced Contributor
Avi Persaud
Advanced Contributor
Joined: 8:58 PM - Oct 13, 2006

2:52 PM - Dec 15, 2016 #16

Some Pics showing the electronics installation:

Here's the All-in-One brick put in place with a square of two sided tape and the control rods cut and bent to fit.



Here's the motor attached to the firewall/support, note the downthrust angle of about 7 degrees, it's hard to see in the photo but the motor is also angled to the right about 7 degrees to create the downthrust needed in these small models.



That's probably it for this build, all that's left is receiving the prop adapters in the mail, adding the prop and flying!

I will show progress pics of the D.VIII once I start it but the build is more or less the same and hopefully also show some pics/vids of these flying, though there are quite a few posted by others online.

Hope you enjoyed it and thanks for looking :)
Quote
Like
Share

Look Up
Basic Contributor
Look Up
Basic Contributor
Joined: 4:17 PM - Nov 03, 2006

5:33 AM - Jan 30, 2017 #17

Hey Avi, thanks for your presentation on the models at the January meeting, they look great. Send me a quick write up and I’ll including it in the minutes.

Frank Panacci – Secretary
Quote
Like
Share