Low wing trainer

Any questions about flying, how to get started, etc etc..ask here

Low wing trainer

JoeyF
Basic Contributor
JoeyF
Basic Contributor

August 27th, 2014, 5:34 pm #1

Thinking of buying a low wing trainer...or a plane that is not a high wing trainer like my Apprentice. I'm thinking one of the following

1) Pulse XT 25e - about the same size as the apprentice but balsa/wood construction. My eyes are not perfect so I want to stay at the 50 inch wing span size

2) Mini Pulse XT - park flyer version of #1. Smaller might be less intimidating? But also might be less stable?

3) Parkzone T-28 Trojan - sounds like everyone's favorite foam plane. Also a park flyer sized plane. I'm afraid this would not be fun to fly on windy days..and it seems every day I am at the field, it is windy!

I also like building as much as flying, thus my attraction to ARF planes. I think there was an Eflite Advance 25 before that would have been perfect, but now discontinued. ARF, low wing, but with semi-symmetrical wings. So it was a real low wing trainer. And then there are the Eflite mini stick and ultra sticks. Not low wing but would be more aerobatic.

What do you guys think? From what I have read so far, mid wings are the last ones I should look at and would be the most challenging to fly.

oscar
Intermdiate Contributor
oscar
Intermdiate Contributor

August 28th, 2014, 2:20 am #2

Hi

Do you have the Apprentice S (/w Safe) or the original Apprentice?

I bought the ArtiZan for my low wing trainer. This plane is amazing for low wing / aerobatic trainer. Compare with T-28, Artizan is more forgiving.

I have the Apprentice S. And so when I bought the Artizan, I bought the PNP and transfer the SAFE r/x to Artizan. Unlike other planes, which may not compatible with SAFE r/x. This one works 100%. I don't even have to rebind.

This plane can take wind to 20km/h. And because I have the SAFE r/x, it has the panic button if I am in trouble.

Unless you want the warbird, ArtiZan is not a bad choice.

Another option for low wing trainer, will be the Corsair S from Parkzone. This is a BNF. Don't mistaken with the other Corsair, this Corsair is design for beginner. It has 4 channels, low wing. It equip with a special SAFE r/x. It does exactly the same as the Apprentice but it's for low wing trainer.

Speed wise, the Corsair S is bit slower than the Artizan (but still faster than the Apprentice). Which helps for entry level of low wing trainer.

For learning aerobatic, Artizan is way better than the Corsair S.

Price wise, ArtiZan is cheaper.

I hope this help.

JoeyF
Basic Contributor
JoeyF
Basic Contributor

August 28th, 2014, 12:03 pm #3

Thanks Oscar. I do have the Apprentice S with SAFE rx. The Artizan was actually on the top of my list but was afraid that it might be too fast and harder to fly being a mid wing plane. I was actually thinking of getting the T-28 and then the Artizan if I were to stick with EPP planes. I didn't even think of moving the SAFE rx from the Apprentice. The panic mode on the SAFE Rx is definitely nice to have (never really used the beginner or intermediate mode on my Apprentice) and it also has AS3X which really works great in windy days (like last night....15 kph winds with 30 kph gusts...crosswind!) I guess I can just get the Artizan PnP or get the BNF and swap the Rx so the Apprentice will still have AS3X while the Artizan would have SAFE and AS3X. Definitely something to think about.

oscar
Intermdiate Contributor
oscar
Intermdiate Contributor

August 29th, 2014, 4:18 am #4

The SAFE button can be press whether you are in Beginner / Intermediate / Advanced mode. It's like a insurance. Whenever I lost the orientation, or the crosswind problem, I will press the button to save my plane. The ArtiZan that comes with the AS3X are specifically program for the ArtiZan. I am not sure whether it will work for the Apprentice. I just buy the PNP and move the Apprentice SAFE over.

Here is what I did when I move from Apprentice to Artizan. I was worry too at the beginning of the speed, mid-wing etc. What I did is use beginner mode to launch and land, then change to intermediate and start feel the characteristic of the plane. Couple of round of batteries until I am comfortable, switch to intermediate to launch and land. Then use advanced when I am 3 mistake high. When in problem; press the panic button so it's back to level; then change it back to intermediate. When ready, change it back to advanced and try again.

Now, I just use Advance to launch and land. But I still use panic button when I am in trouble. The SAFE is an insurance to save your time for repairing.

For the Apprentice, put on the float and come to float fly. This plane flies beautifully off the water. :P

JoeyF
Basic Contributor
JoeyF
Basic Contributor

September 3rd, 2014, 12:11 pm #5

I think I have decided to get the Parkzone T-28 Trojan. The looks of the Artizan is just not very interesting to me right now. I already have a dull looking Apprentice. They should have done more to the color scheme of the Artizan. I'm sure it is a very good plane from the reviews I've read, but right now, it is just too plain looking.

The T-28 on the other hand is very scale looking and it even has a clear canopy with a pilot inside. I always loved how that model looked since the first time I saw someone bring it to the field. Maybe the Artizan or the new Sukhoi would be my next plane after that when I have better skills to fly the mid wing planes.

rich79
Getting there
rich79
Getting there

September 8th, 2014, 1:53 am #6

Good choice Joey. I've had my Park Zone T-28 for a number of years now and love the way it fly's. I've had it out in 20-25 km/h winds and still no issues as far as flight and landings go. I would just recommend getting bigger size wheels (since stock ones are a bit small) and you will be happy with it.

-Richard