Deet's Alphas

Show us your Mini's

Deet's Alphas

Deet
Cultist
Deet
Cultist

08 Apr 2015, 05:19 #1

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and new to Alpha Legion. Been in the hobby for about two years, and this is my third army. I've assembled 22 troops and a Chaos Lord (I'll play them as both CSM and SM depending on mood) and have been screwing around with color tests. Here's my start:

Feeling a little too true blue. Need to work more green in there, but making progress.

I'll place updates here, or you can keep up on my blog:

Hydra Dominatus!

Excessus
Daemon Prince
Excessus
Daemon Prince

08 Apr 2015, 20:22 #2

Nice battle damage!
"Deception is the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Claudius
Chaos Chosen
Claudius
Chaos Chosen

09 Apr 2015, 13:46 #3

That's some fantastic weathering! I also liked how the black has been highlighted!

Deet
Cultist
Deet
Cultist

13 Apr 2015, 20:27 #4

Been cranking along now. Did a quick comparison shot next to Ultrasmurf Blue and I'm feeling good about my color.

Let the batch painting commence!

MajorNese
Chaos Marine
MajorNese
Chaos Marine

14 Apr 2015, 11:36 #5

Yep, that looks great, especially the weathering. Will you keep the lenses dark, or will you change that? I personally prefer red glowing eyes to make it stand out.

Deet
Cultist
Deet
Cultist

15 Apr 2015, 07:09 #6

I think I'm going to go with green eyes. I tried red on my first color test and it's just not for me. Seen it done well, but didn't like it on these. If the green doesn't work, I may just go black to keep em really dark and brooding.

Aristeo
Chaos Lord
Aristeo
Chaos Lord

17 Apr 2015, 19:50 #7

Not that I'm a master painter by any means, but I'll offer my suggestions.

The eye color should contrast with the overall color of the rest of the model, so if you want to go with green it should be bright instead of dark.

The other thing is that with this style of painting the armour, the jeweled lens effect doesn't seem to go well with it in my opinion. That fits better with the GW White Dwarf style of painting than this sort of gritty, realistic battle damaged style.

So that you don't take away from the awesome look of the armour, doing the lenses should be of a "less is more" kind of style. Keep it simple.

These models look awesome by the way. : Thumb :
"War is simply the galaxy's hygiene." - Primarch Alpharius

MacroRaptor
Cultist

18 Apr 2015, 23:50 #8

Very nice! What colours are you working with? Trying to find the right shades of blue in GW range has been an altogether frustrating adventure.

EDIT NEvermind! Saw your blog. Fantastic work! Both on the blog and your models man. Keep it up!

Deet
Cultist
Deet
Cultist

10 Jun 2015, 22:27 #9

Finally finished my first squad. Will likely make a few adjustments for the next, but pretty happy with them overall.

Up next- a Maulerfiend, just for some variety. Been staring at little blue men for too long.

MajorNese
Chaos Marine
MajorNese
Chaos Marine

11 Jun 2015, 09:21 #10

Those look really great. Weathering gives them a lot of character, and the bases look very realistic. Only small hint, maybe take a different glowing color for the plasma gun, it's not easily seen, as it's blue glow on blue marine background.

Deet
Cultist
Deet
Cultist

11 Jun 2015, 19:15 #11

Yep- That's one of the fixes I planned on making next round. The blue lens on the sergeant's scope is also not standing out. I stuck with convention on both and think I'm ready to buck trend. Needs a little more color variation.

Deet
Cultist
Deet
Cultist

16 Jul 2015, 19:30 #12

Progress updates on my latest addition. Building my first Monstrous Creature- a Mauler/Forgefiend. Wanted to have something dynamic on this base and love these bricks I got from Secret Weapon, so I've got him casually smashing through a brick wall.

Was a real pain making sure all the stuff on the base didn't run in to the various magnetized options. Had to continuously swap back and forth, but I think it came out well. You can just barely make out here the razor wire on the back right and the ammo cannister and spent shell casings at the base of the wall. Starting on paint tonight!

Excessus
Daemon Prince
Excessus
Daemon Prince

08 Oct 2015, 12:43 #13

That's some really crisp painting on those ALs!

It's always nice to play around with the base of such center-piece models as our fiends. You can really make them stand out.
"Deception is the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Deet
Cultist
Deet
Cultist

07 Jan 2016, 18:31 #14

Hydra Dominatus, brothers.

Been away from the painting table for a while. Here's the latest:

Finally picking up some painting mojo again. Happy with the progress on this little beast.

Claudius
Chaos Chosen
Claudius
Chaos Chosen

08 Jan 2016, 13:53 #15

Love it! Painting marines can often get quite tedious, especially with two-colour schemes like ours, so it's so nice to get to paint other colours!